Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI fuel hose sizes and lengths. Anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I know this gets asked a MILLION times but I've done all the searching in the world and can't find any clear answers.

I'm converting from a carbed engine over to a stock 1.7 with FI. I need to get new FI high pressure fuel hose now...

(As for a fuel filter I am still unsure. FI Bug filter work ?? Cap'n seems to recommend the BMW 2002tii filter, but I'm not sure I can find that locally).

I already have SS hard lines in the tunnel. I have a FI fuel pump (early kind) which I'm planning on keeping in the engine compartment. The SS hard lines are 3/8" for supply and 5/16" for return.

Are these the only two sizes of fuel hose I'll need? How much in total length will I need for both? I need ALL the fuel hose coming from where the hard lines exit the tunnel, to filter, to pump, to engine etc., back again.

Danke....
Hammy
icon_bump.gif sad.gif
type47
most will state that you should get the correct size metric FI (FI hose for higher pressure) hose. that said, i don't have the size with me (surfing at work, don't tell anybody)... now, at the risk of incurring the rath of the mechanic-fold, i went to the local FLAPS and bought FI hose. i probably measured the OD of an end of one of the fuel rails (injectors branch off/connected to fuel rail), and bought hose closest to that size (5/16" ????). visualize the lengths needed (3-4 ft?) when installed. maybe auto atlanta or pelican parts web sites have a diagram or a package deal with length stated, they did with the vacuum hose package. do the job right and get correct FI hose clamps.
roadster fan
7mm for all the engine bay hoses i believe, pump to injector rails, pressure regulator and back to the return line.

In my application I used 3/8" 50 PSI hose (FLAPS) from metal supply line (low pressure) reduced with brass fitting to 5/16"/7mm before filter. the rest was all 7mm.

My car had a filter in the engine compartment in stock location that had a large barb fitting on input side and small barb on output. The replacement I got from pelican had small barb on both sides hence the reducer.

I got all my 7mm hose from Pelican, you can buy it by the foot. I read somewhere on the pressure side of the pump you should use the metric FI hose due to slight differences in size between 5/16" and 7mm to insure solid connections.

Pelican does have diagrams on their site with the sizes of hose needed IIRC, but you could pull the hose on your car now and check sizes too.

Hope this helps,

Jim
swl
good discussion here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76169

You might be able to 'cheat' with imperial on the low pressure side but the general concensus is that you are playing with fire (pun intended) on the high pressure side. The fit is particularly bad when connecting to the plastic hoses.

Oh - and ditto on the 'get the right clamp' bit.
jk76.914
hmmmm... I always thought it was 7 x 13. At least that's what I always used. Kind of snug I admit. Anyway, here's another source-

http://www.bus-boys.com/

$4.10 per foot is on the more reasonable side.

Here's a source of hose plus proper clamps in one kit- It says 86-91 Vanagon, but it's the right stuff.

http://www.vanagain.com/search_result.asp?...llAction=Page+2

Regarding fuel filter- I kept my plastic low pressure filter upstream from the pump, but then I added a modern FI high pressure fuel filter just before the fuel rail. It's a Bosch filter for a 99 VW 2.0 Cabrio (8 valve). It has 7mm inlet and outlet nipples, and on the VW is runs at 3 Bar (about 42 PSI). I did it because of horror stories about ethanol cleaning out crud from tank and fuel lines, and washing it into injectors.

Here's a picture. Next round, I'm going to mount it under the engine to the rear, instead of topside. I can't think of an downside to where I put it though.

Click to view attachment
Hammy
Thanks for the replies all... very helpful. I didn't know the fuel hoses had to be precise in size, but I'll definitely get the right stuff. 7mm?

How much should I need in total length? Think 10 feet will cover it all?

Also, my hoses up front under the tank are NOT high pressure. But since I'm keeping the pump in the back I shouldn't need to worry, right? But isn't the return line hose going to be pressurized?
Twystd1
Zach,

PLEASE get a personalized license plate that reads......

HAMSTER

I just couldn't help myself... Now back to wiping mustard off my shirt.

Twystd1
Hammy
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Oct 14 2007, 11:07 PM) *

Zach,

PLEASE get a personalized license plate that reads......

HAMSTER

I just couldn't help myself... Now back to wiping mustard off my shirt.

Twystd1

laugh.gif That'd rock..... It's actually another nickname of mine.....
jk76.914
QUOTE(Hammy @ Oct 15 2007, 02:01 AM) *

Thanks for the replies all... very helpful. I didn't know the fuel hoses had to be precise in size, but I'll definitely get the right stuff. 7mm?

How much should I need in total length? Think 10 feet will cover it all?

Also, my hoses up front under the tank are NOT high pressure. But since I'm keeping the pump in the back I shouldn't need to worry, right? But isn't the return line hose going to be pressurized?

I used high pressure line everywhere, front and back, except from the tank to the filter. My '76 pump is up front, and the tubes from the tank are both the same size. I seem to recall that on earlier cars, the supply and return are different at the tank. I may be wrong on this point.

I also seem to think that 10 feet is the right length. But measure twice/cut once, because if you cut any of the longer pieces wrong, you'll run out.

Good luck,
Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.