Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb fuel pump routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I am putting in new lines for my carbs. The hard line comes under the car, then connects to the old pumpt and filter. I am using the CB rotary pump and it's almost 12 inches long all in.

There is a mounting point for the fuel filter under the car, but if I try and mount the new filter there, then the lines under the car will be doing loops.

Can i mount the pump underneath and then the filter above the tin? Is that a bad idea? Should I be doing this another way (other than moving the pump to the front).

Let me know.

Thanks!
rhodyguy
you can remove the extra canister. it's a carter fuel filter. doing so will shorten the whole aspect of the pump and avoid the loops. hoses are secured with solid clamps which i didn't like the idea of either.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 14 2007, 01:33 PM) *

you can remove the extra canister. it's a carter fuel filter. doing so will shorten the whole aspect of the pump and avoid the loops. hoses are secured with solid clamps which i didn't like the idea of either.

Wait!!!

You're telling me that the first canister is a fuel filter? It's not a regulator or something?
Allan
The smaller cannister on the input side of the pump is a filter. The pump is internally regulated. You need a filter between the tank and the pump.

If you're going to install the pump in the stock location, put the filter up front under the tank.

That's the route I took and it worked out well.
KaptKaos
Ok, so if I keep the filter that comes with the pump, then I don't need another one in front of that filter then, correct?
Allan
Actually, what I did is buy another FI filter with 3/8th in and out for under the tank because you'll be using the feed line which is larger.

I then used the filter that came with the pump just before the carbs.

Carbs like clean fuel and the FI filters do a better job IMHO...
KaptKaos
How about this:

I leave the filter on the pump and put it in the back of the car. Then, before the T-connector for the carbs, I put another filter?

That gets me a filter before the pump and another before the carbs. Does that work well enough?
rhodyguy
use a stock, big, square filter. if yours is like the cb i got, the short section of hose inbetween the carter filter and the pump has fixed, not removable clamps. you'll have to cut the line just to change the filter and the line will be shorter...everytime.

k
KaptKaos
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 14 2007, 06:15 PM) *

use a stock, big, square filter. if yours is like the cb i got, the short section of hose inbetween the carter filter and the pump has fixed, not removable clamps. you'll have to cut the line just to change the filter and the line will be shorter...everytime.

k

DOH!

Too late. I will have to deal with that the next time. Oh well.

Anyway, I made 2 jumpers for the power to the pump, one side with a male spade and the other a female spade. How do I know which side connects where on the CB pump?
KaptKaos
Update:

Got the fuel pump and line run into the engine bay. Mounted the intake manifolds and carbs (thanks Allan!) and I am done for the night.

Thanks for the help all.
rhodyguy
did you use the stock wire harness? if you look at the supplied plug end i think it only goes in one way with a white wire acting as the ground iirc. looking at the haynes (for a 73' usa, as your sig notes) it shows 2 wires for the fuel pump (#9) in the diagram . one labeled black/red and the other brown. the brown harness wire is the ground and connects to the white wire. other to the hot lead. i'm fairly sure. if not the pump will simply run backwards, and you will hear a gurggling sound coming from the gas tank. those would be air bubbles. if so switch the leads at the pump. btdt.

k
KaptKaos
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 14 2007, 07:23 PM) *

did you use the stock wire harness? if you look at the supplied plug end i think it only goes in one way with a white wire acting as the ground iirc. looking at the haynes (for a 73' usa, as your sig notes) it shows 2 wires for the fuel pump (#9) in the diagram . one labeled black/red and the other brown. the brown harness wire is the ground and connects to the white wire. other to the hot lead. i'm fairly sure. if not the pump will simply run backwards, and you will hear a gurggling sound coming from the gas tank. those would be air bubbles. if so switch the leads at the pump. btdt.

k

I looked at the pug under there, and I couldn't tell anything as to + or -. So I picked one. Easy enough to switch when I get to that point.

In the home stretch. Very excited.

Thanks again!
Aaron Cox
dont throw away the canister! its a catalytic converter!

LOL - thanks for the laugh on the phone today tho tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.