Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner =]
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OmegaM1A1
Hey all. My name's Mike, I'm 16, and I was just given my very own (albeit not completely working) 914. It's my dad's and my project car, and I need to know where I might be able to get some parts and what kind of parts I might need. The car will run after we get a new part (I think it's a CV joint or coupling piece or something like that, on the transaxle), and then we need new tail light assemblies to register it and make it streetable.

The part we need, as I said, is a CV joint, coupling, or something like that. Basically, the problem was that a pin somewhere between the transmission and the drive wheels broke, so we took it to the local Völkswagen/Porsche shop and they replaced the pin. Needless to say, the pin broke again because it got sheared by the joint, just like last time. So rather than replacing just the pin, we need to also replace whatever is cutting it. Any ideas/suggestions? I don't have easy access to the car (or pictures, sorry), so I can't get you pictures of a specific area in any timely fashion (The car is 10mi north of my house, I have a pretty busy schedule, and no working car (as the 914 IS my car.))

Thanks.

-Omega

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's a '74 914 2.0L, 4cyl.
LarryR
QUOTE(OmegaM1A1 @ Oct 14 2007, 09:07 PM) *

Hey all. My name's Mike, I'm 16, and I was just given my very own (albeit not completely working) 914. It's my dad's and my project car, and I need to know where I might be able to get some parts and what kind of parts I might need. The car will run after we get a new part (I think it's a CV joint or coupling piece or something like that, on the transaxle), and then we need new tail light assemblies to register it and make it streetable.

The part we need, as I said, is a CV joint, coupling, or something like that. Basically, the problem was that a pin somewhere between the transmission and the drive wheels broke, so we took it to the local Völkswagen/Porsche shop and they replaced the pin. Needless to say, the pin broke again because it got sheared by the joint, just like last time. So rather than replacing just the pin, we need to also replace whatever is cutting it. Any ideas/suggestions? I don't have easy access to the car (or pictures, sorry), so I can't get you pictures of a specific area in any timely fashion (The car is 10mi north of my house, I have a pretty busy schedule, and no working car (as the 914 IS my car.))

Thanks.

-Omega

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's a '74 914 2.0L, 4cyl.

Wow Great first car! Welcome to 914 world. As for your axle ... I have a pair of 914 axles that I would let go cheap. I am switching to 5 lug on mine so I have no use for my stock axles.
OmegaM1A1
QUOTE(LarryR @ Oct 14 2007, 09:26 PM) *

Wow Great first car! Welcome to 914 world. As for your axle ... I have a pair of 914 axles that I would let go cheap. I am switching to 5 lug on mine so I have no use for my stock axles.

Thanks for the welcome.

See, here's the thing. I'm pretty sure the axles themselves are fine, but I'm not completely sure. Hell, I'm not even completely sure why that pin is breaking.

But, out of curiosity, how cheap might you be willing to sell those axles? Because in the case that buying new axles would solve the problem or just be a good idea, I would probably do that.

I'm thinking this pin is either just outside the transmission or at/before the differental. I'm also quite new to cars to begin with -- from a mechanical standpoint -- but I do plan on being an auto mechanic. What better time to start than now!

So, the diff. If one the axle for one of the wheels were to stop moving, would BOTH wheels not work? Because if I can find the range of the problem, I can lift up the car and poke around a bit, maybe unbolt some stuff or just look for obvious damage.

Also, a few other cost questions -- About how much would a pair of '74 (or are they universal?) tail light assemblies run me, and how much should DMV Registration be? I hasn't been reg'd since '05, but my dad said if I covered the normal registration cost he'd pay the other fines or whatnot.
LarryR
Shoot how about 50 bucks if I dont have to ship them.

As for the diff it is in the transmission ... On the 914 it is a transaxle. So the transmission and the diff are one and the same. I assumed that since you were saying that no power from the trans that it would have to be the axles. As for some pin I really have no idea what you are talking about. The output flange from the trans goes to the cv->axle->stub->wheel. There are no pins involved in that configuration.

Good luck gettting it on the road... if you are in the east bay I might be able to give you some pointers. My daughter is only 11 and she is asking for a boxster ahhhh!!! I need to get her on the 914 train of thought.

Larry
jd74914
I'm confused as to what you're talking about with pins Mike. Your CV's are held on with splines and bolts, so it would not seems that axles would be the problem? If you could take a picture or draw one of the failure spot we could help you out.

I think you would know if an axle failed, its often a little violent (at least in my experience), but I highly doubt an axle was broken with a stock 2.0.

Edit: I was too late
OmegaM1A1
Well, doesn't the powertrain go (starting from engine) Engine-Transmission-Diff-CV-Axle-Stub-Wheels?

Also, would the Transmission Linkage be at fault perchance? I know that needs to be replaced.

So, more importantly, would there be anywhere I could find a diagram of the tranny/diff assembly? If I can visualize how it works I should be able to see in my mind what the problem might be.

God, I really hate to be ambiguous like this.

Also, a set of axles for $50? Not bad. Any idea what it might run to get it shipped to 94928? I wouldn't doubt that we'd be able to pick them up, though, since we're in Sonoma County. But just in case.

Also, what axles would that be specifically? Everything past the diff/gearbox assembly?

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 14 2007, 10:19 PM) *

I'm confused as to what you're talking about with pins Mike. Your CV's are held on with splines and bolts, so it would not seems that axles would be the problem? If you could take a picture or draw one of the failure spot we could help you out.

Would the bolts fail or come loose easily? After we got the problem fixed the first time, it broke again when my dad pulled out of the driveway and drove a block or so.
rhodyguy
you need to buy a haynes maunal. have your mechanic tell you exactly what is wrong, and relay that exactly to us. the bolts and locking washers that retain the cv joints to the trans output flange and flange on the stub axle are pretty specific. take and post pictures.
OmegaM1A1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 14 2007, 10:32 PM) *

you need to buy a haynes maunal. have your mechanic tell you exactly what is wrong, and relay that exactly to us. the bolts and locking washers that retain the cv joints to the trans output flange and flange on the stub axle are pretty specific. take and post pictures.

Alright, I'll do that (Once I find a reputable mechanic). First priority right now though, is sanding and priming to get the rust gone, THEN getting it running, then registering it.

Oh, and getting my Permit so I can actually enjoy my 914. That's important too.
LarryR
QUOTE(OmegaM1A1 @ Oct 14 2007, 10:24 PM) *

Well, doesn't the powertrain go (starting from engine) Engine-Transmission-Diff-CV-Axle-Stub-Wheels?

Also, would the Transmission Linkage be at fault perchance? I know that needs to be replaced.

So, more importantly, would there be anywhere I could find a diagram of the tranny/diff assembly? If I can visualize how it works I should be able to see in my mind what the problem might be.

God, I really hate to be ambiguous like this.

Also, a set of axles for $50? Not bad. Any idea what it might run to get it shipped to 94928? I wouldn't doubt that we'd be able to pick them up, though, since we're in Sonoma County. But just in case.

Also, what axles would that be specifically? Everything past the diff/gearbox assembly?

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 14 2007, 10:19 PM) *

Would the bolts fail or come loose easily? After we got the problem fixed the first time, it broke again when my dad pulled out of the driveway and drove a block or so.

I am working with Mark at Original Customs in Napa. If you end up needing the axles I could just drop them there and you could arrange to pick them up there (have to check with Mark... but that should not be a problem) I am just sick of shipping stuff. The axles would be everything past the 901 stub.

rhodyguy
you might be a bit more specific in your location. there could be another owner(s) near by. good luck with your new car.

k
cooltimes
Look here for many 914 part diagrams and exploded views.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914parts.htm

Bookmark is a good idea too.

Cooltimes

OmegaM1A1
@rhodyguy:

Thanks for the idea. Done and done.

@cooltimes:

Thanks for the link. I have a feeling it'll help.
OmegaM1A1
Sorry for the double post, but I no longer own a 914. My sister got in a car accident and wound up in the ICU, so my parent's don't want me driving a car with no airbags or crumple zones.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
Spoke
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your sis. Hope she's ok.

So did you actually sell the car or are you just not allowed to drive it?

For all practicality, a 914 is a fun car but it's also good to have a newer, all weather car. You're a young dude and will have plenty of time to play with a classic sports car like the 914.

Get yourself a good daily driver and hone your driving skills in something a little more substantial than the 914. There I agree with your dad. Hopefully your dad won't sell the car and you and he can work on it as a side project.

Depending on the condition of your 914, it may need just superficial work or considerable work. In either case, it is convenient to have a Honda, Subaru, VW, whatever, that doesn't need work and is just fun to drive.

Spoke
OmegaM1A1
The car isn't sold yet but will be. My dad doesn't have the time to work on it and I don't have the desire. Chances are I'll end up getting a Ford Focus as my first car, they're good little reliable and extremely safe cars, so I've no gripes.
koozy
Sorry to hear about your sis. Hope she is doing ok. Maybe your parents would be willing to let you work on the car as a project since you want to be a mechanic. You could save it and spend project time on it with your dad. Let them keep the keys. Don't break their trust. Then you will have learned a ton about the car and can enjoy it like you have wanted. Just a thought.
Jeffs9146
The car isn't sold yet

Let us know when your dad is ready to sell it! I'm sure someone here will be interested!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.