Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worth doing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rand
And BTW Roadsterfan..... This is another way I would consider dealing with the rear decklid to forward transition.... Instead of just chopping the targa bar the easy way, follow the fender ridge lines down to the top of the door..... Bring the front of the rear trunk down lower, chop the engine lid height.... Make it flow...

IPB Image
plymouth37
i am kinda anxious to see how Dana(plymouth37) works his car over.

I will start a build thread in the next couple weeks. I ordered a pretty sweet part for the speedster conversion but the manufacturer was in san diego so the whole fire thing kind of slowed down shipping, should get it soon!
TeenerTim
How about doing this?
IPB Image
jonferns
How about doing this?

that looks just like a carrera gt!
woobn8r
Personally, I like the original 914-GHIA concept that started this thread better....

S.
alpha434
When I bought my 914, the biggest attraction was the targa top. But it always rattles and dreck. And it looks like dreck. And this last summer I only took it off MAYBE 5 times!

I'd much rather have that sharp-looking ghia roofline. Mind if I copy?
roadster fan
Rand,

I think you nailed the engine lid area. That is the best chop I have seen. If it could be executed like that.....hell yeah, I will take one! nice work.

oh, and I like the 914-ghia concept too. I hope it gets built aktion035.gif

Jim
euro911
I'm really enjoying all the interesting ideas showing up here, both 'coupes' and 'speedsters'. I'd like to see some of them become reality ... especially your 'Ghia', TC ... poke.gif

I plan to flare my '75, and now wondering if a BMW 2002 or 318 roof assy. could also be grafted onto it idea.gif or maybe just modifying the sail area with side glass and a solid lid.

Possibly a small German sunroof to keep a somewhat 'open top' design. I remember seeing a 944 roof (w/ sunroof) being done on a 914 here.

Here's another sample of what I'm thinking:
geniusanthony
icon_bump.gif and more

this time i actually used my own car as base... yea i know surprise..seems to work best with the engine lid lowered. see avatar for original..
Click to view attachment

it seems that eventually we may come up with something that truly works instead of looking like a bastard compilation..individual cycle screens may be good too if we want to be truly impractical...lol
roadster fan
Yep, I agree, lowered engine lid. Keep the photoshop stuff coming!

Noticed you are in Falujah (sp?), a buddy at work came back from Iraq late last year. Let me know what ya need and I will send a package. I know I have a few car magazines here and the family loves sending stuff to the war zone.

Jim
alpha434
Bump...

Just want to keep the topic live. This stuff rocks.
geniusanthony
ditto icon_bump.gif

haven't had time to play...Kinda ran outof ideas too

what works best for the rest of you, SC, Gt or soft flares?

also Speedster windshield, Ginther screen or maybe the little cycle ones...though I can't find a source for those if I wanted to (shrug)

There are only so many options but none of em truly get my wallet warm(so to speak)

Maybe widened chrome steelies and caps as a standard or vintage throwback blah blah blah smile.gif

Don't know, I am really just taking a few min. off work and clearing my head
TC.356
How about something like this?

It's my old Gasser, V8, VW, panel rat . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Tea...ck/200bc9ef.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Tea...ck/155ca357.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Tea...ck/db9fc762.jpg

Oooopppsss . . . sorry, wrong forum . . .
jd74914
That is cool TC . . . I think its ok here, there is a 914 in the background of one of the pictures laugh.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 11 2007, 10:54 AM) *

That is cool TC . . . I think its ok here, there is a 914 in the background of one of the pictures laugh.gif

Und a Ghia too!
euro911
QUOTE(TC.356 @ Nov 11 2007, 10:32 AM) *

How about something like this?

It's my old Gasser, V8, VW, panel rat . . .
There used to be a rootbeer brown bug with a 327 up front running around here (30+ years ago) ... Looking at it you couldn't tell what it had. He even ran the exhaust pipes out the stock cut-outs. It was really cool.

He used 2 Jag XK-120 grilles ... they fit perfectly in the hood depressions
PBritain
i dunno if this has been suggested already but...

as far as cooling just remove the rear window of the ghia roof, and move it forward to where the stock 914 window was. think cayman rk coupe.
Dave_Darling
I strongly suggest using a flared car as the base. The angular lines of the stock body will, I feel, contrast too strongly with the curved Ghia roof. The curves in the flares are a much better match to the Ghia roof.

--DD
LarryR
QUOTE(TC.356 @ Oct 17 2007, 08:34 AM) *

I have a pretty good 914, and I have a decent Ghia roof clip, and I've already got the 916-style fiberglass flares and front and rear "bumpers". I've got a neat set of wide alloys, there's PLENTY of Bondo in the cellar, I even have a folding cloth sunroof for the Ghia.

I did up an admittedly quick Photo-Chop to show what I'm thinking of doin', maybe even gut the shell and lower it over a Beetle pan (pretty much the same wheel base and track), keep the Ghia interior intact, and make it a rear engine ala 912.

I could sure use some enthusiasm or even a reality check, 'cause so far, I'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks ! !

TC

Here's the Photo-Chop: (not MY 914 in the pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/Tea...l/914ghia-1.jpg

Thats freakin awesome! I like ghia's and that would be a SWEET one have never seen it done but the photochop looks great!
LarryR
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 3 2007, 04:02 AM) *

I'm really enjoying all the interesting ideas showing up here, both 'coupes' and 'speedsters'. I'd like to see some of them become reality ... especially your 'Ghia', TC ... poke.gif

I plan to flare my '75, and now wondering if a BMW 2002 or 318 roof assy. could also be grafted onto it idea.gif or maybe just modifying the sail area with side glass and a solid lid.

Possibly a small German sunroof to keep a somewhat 'open top' design. I remember seeing a 944 roof (w/ sunroof) being done on a 914 here.

Here's another sample of what I'm thinking:

I like this too but would do some sort of flare.
euro911
QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 28 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Good idea Larry. Maybe I should get in on that Flared Fender deal, eh? biggrin.gif

One thing at a time. A decent engine if first and foremost on my list ... then the flares, headlight mod (no more pop-ups), 5-lug conversion, then maybe some extensive roofline work idea.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 28 2007, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 28 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Good idea Larry. Maybe I should get in on that Flared Fender deal, eh? biggrin.gif

One thing at a time. A decent engine if first and foremost on my list ... then the flares, headlight mod (no more pop-ups), 5-lug conversion, then maybe some extensive roofline work idea.gif

I am in on the flare group buy...I just figured since you are shooting for first of the year delivery that I would hold off till mid/end of december to send my payment.

the flare I was thinking for your photochop design is very different though. something like a 74 rsr flare with a blended in 916 esq flare... so the front and rear fenders would extend beyond the door at the body line with some functional air outlets for undercarriage air. However, the air outlets would not be a visual attraction.
alpha434
How about a toyota corolla hatchback roof...

Any photoshop takers?
TC.356
Just a bit off topic, but I own several Porsches and Ghias, so . . .

I grabbed up a tired '64 SC a while ago, and have another Ghia in solid shape . . . so maybe something like this?

jd74914
I think I like the 914/Ghia better TC. I wonder how the Ghia would look with a 356 roofline?
alpha434
Thatsin a tough one.

The Ghia was a 356 look alike with a notch.

And as far as the ghia with a 356 roof, the rear of the car is different. .. Imagine a 914 with a 911 roof- impossible.
smoothteen
Hey guys, I just found this thread and was wondering if anything was new? TC's design is fantastic! i will probably do something with my 75 2.0 like it ,but I liked the ideas that were coming in.
Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going out to look at my car now to generate some more ideas.
smoothteen
I found another site that has some interesting speedster ideas.

http://www.dpb-online.com/ubbthreads.php?u...dff49611cd2b01c
euro911
Somebody needs to get working on one around here mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.