Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm half done with my car, right?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaminM3
I have observed from months of searching this site that the typical build goes through four stages:

1. Buy 914 shades.gif

2. Put 914 on jack stands welder.gif

3. Take 914 off of jack stands aktion035.gif

4. drive driving.gif

According to this model, I am halfway done....
thesey914
No no no -you're only halfway started -you're about to get a dose of DWD
rick 918-S
agree.gif DWD... w00t.gif
jaminM3
DWD??

I am going to start stripping rust to fix the jack points and hell hole and that is all the rust as far as I know so far. I see pictures of cars that are body color in the inner fenders, but mine is black and undercoated. Did a PO do this? either way I'm happy because I think it helped protect the metal from rust..
rick 918-S
I tried to Google it for you but didn't get a good hit. confused24.gif Dirk Wrights Disease. av-943.gif

How that baby coming?
markb
DWD= Dirk Wright Disease
Dirk was a member of one of the early internet clubs, and started a refurb of his car. One thing lead to another "while I'm in there I might as well do...." thing. It got so bad that they named the disease after him. I'm not sure what ever happened to him. Maybe he's still out there under his 914 somewhere. dry.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(markb @ Oct 17 2007, 11:21 AM) *

DWD= Dirk Wright Disease
Dirk was a member of one of the early internet clubs, and started a refurb of his car. One thing lead to another "while I'm in there I might as well do...." thing. It got so bad that they named the disease after him. I'm not sure what ever happened to him. Maybe he's still out there under his 914 somewhere. dry.gif

Actually, it was an early 911 (SC?). But the story is nonetheless true. That car was spread out across the garage floor like an NTSB investigation of a plane crash. I honestly don't remember if he got it all completely back together before he sold it or not. Dave Darling would know, I moved away from the Bay Area when it was still disassembled.

-Josh2
jaminM3
Hey Rick, the baby is going fine from what I can tell. Six more weeks..

I actually have a plan so DWD doesn't happen. I am not going to strip it down to nothing. I am going to fix the rust and do an exterior only paint job and try to get it back on the road ASAP.
... well, I did buy some 5 lug fuchs and sent the heads off to Len...

Oh crap DWD it is then.... sad2.gif

owned.gif
jaminM3
I ground away some of the rust on the longs and it looks like I may have to cut out a piece of the long, is this right?

Can someone tell me what is recommended in this situation? Jeff Hail ?

I'm all geeked up and ready to go thumb3d.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Ben,
1st...... clap56.gif , for saving another 914
2nd.....make sure your tetanus shots are up to date
3rd.....the DWD is real, first you just want to take care of the structural rust and hell hole, then you think, why not attend to the trunks, then its, well, I might as well pull the gas tank and do the cowl, then when you get nice fresh body seam sealer, primer, then final coat on, its.....sheesh...I can't put an old nasty pedal cluster back in there, or grungy calipers, or a fuzzy gas tank, or a cracked dash top, and on, and on, and on, and on........... biggrin.gif

Good luck and remember, there's a strong, supportive group of us on this Forum to offer support and advice.

Paul
jaminM3
I think I also inhereted someone else's DWD project. I bought it off CL locally and he had already ripped apart the engine, interior and gas tank. The suspension and dash are still in and that is it. I have baby formula cans with screws, bolts, nuts, and all the other parts he took off. I should start a thread called " identify this 914 bolt". Or I was even thinking about picking up another car to see where everything goes. confused24.gif
type47
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Oct 24 2007, 01:50 PM) *

I was even thinking about picking up another car ...

you're going to fit in here laugh.gif
PanelBilly
Rust repair, its like swimming. You have to get totally wet to do it right. Set aside a few years to work on your car and strip off everything so you'll have a clean canvus to work with. If you want a car to drive, buy another one.
jaminM3
Well, I copied the seat belt to door hinge brace from michelko's awesome thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

and I have cut out the crushed front fender and started cutting up the new fender to fit.

I am also on the list fo the steel flair group buy. DWD screwy.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 17 2007, 11:31 AM) *

Actually, it was an early 911 (SC?).

No, it was a 914. IIRC, he decided to replace the pedal pads one day. Which led to re-bushing the pedal cluster. Which led to both rebuilding the brakes, and cutting out chunks of the floor pan to replace 'em. And I don't really recall where he stopped, but from the sound of it he really went off the deep end. (Zinc plating the brake rotors? Huh??) I think someone on here checked up on him a year or two ago, and the 914 was long gone.

--DD
jaminM3
Wow I haven't done much work on here lately..

That may be because I bought a '74 and have been busy moving the fuel pump from the back to the front. Then I did a 5 lug conversion. then I replaced the sail vinyl and some of the rubber.

Well, enough about the new teener.

After reading every metal work and fender repair thread on this site, I think I should remove the headlight bucket and replace each piece separate from each other.

Like the front panel vs the inner fender vs outer fender.

I think the trunk floor is still a little crushed. I should probably make sure the suspension points are not wacked too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.