Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TDC?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So. I thought I had my engine at TDC, and went to read the Pelican article on valve adjustment.

The timing mark that I was using to judge TDC was engraved on the fan.

But then the Pelican tech article started talking about painted lines on the fly wheel. Okay. My car has lines painted in blue, white, and yellow, all in the vicinity of the engraved mark.

So how do I verify which mark is TDC? I am using a Mallory Unilite that has yet to be timed, so I can't use that as a judge. The engine is not bolted to a tranny at the moment, and the cradle that it is on precludes doing so, so I can't really use the mark on the flywheel.

To add insult to injury, the feeler gauges that I bought yesterday start at .008in, and I need .006 for my intake valves.

grrrrrr.

I have a final tomorrow, so I guess I'll do the valves friday afternoon.

Zach
Aaron Cox
is this for just a valve adjust? then who cares about TDC...
your motor shares cam lobes with the opposite valves

your motor looks like this
E1.........cam lobe 1........E2
I1.........cam lobe 2.........I2
I3.........cam lobe 3........I4
E3.........cam lobe 4........E4

E = exhaust valve, I = intake valve
lets focus on cam lobe 1.
When cam lobe 1 OPENS Ex valve 1, that means that the E2 is on the back of the cam.... which means there is NO force trying to open the valve.
When E1 is all the way open, Adjust E2....

when E2 is open, adjust E1.

Simple huh?!

The cam lobe can only open 1 of the 2 valves at a time, when one is open, the other is closed and can be adjusted.

This is the simplified krusty method. Works much easier, and you can do it under the car! without ever having to look at a fan or flywheel or dizzy!
VaccaRabite
I'll try it for the valve job. But I still need to confirm which mark is for TDC so I can rough time the Mallory.

Zach
Aaron Cox
tdc is the engraved 0 on your fan.
Gint
When the intake valve closes for #1 and both valves are closed, you're pretty much at TDC. Then go look for your timing mark. And the "0" mark on your fan is on the rear side of the fan. You'll need a mirror to see it. It's on the rear of the fan so you can see it plainly... if the motor were installed in a VW.

You could also use a chopstick. laugh.gif
911quest
What I do to adjust the valves is put it on TDC take both valve covers off now you will see cyl. one side has three loose rockers and one tight adjust those three now move to the other side you will have one loose rocker adjust that one now rotate the motor till the dist points to #3 plug wire and you will notice that cyl. 3 side has three loose rockers you get the idea.....

SGB
It is worth buying a remote starter from Harbor Frieght (like $10.00) so you can see the valves move - to be sure the correct side really is open- when you bump the starter.
roadster fan
I haven't done this yet (adjust the valves) but I thought you could jack up one side of the car, put it in 5th gear, and rotate the wheel off the ground to see rockers move. This would eliminate the remote starter, and I believe you could rotate the wheel with you feet if you were talented keeping both hands free.

Someone else will need to chime in to confirm, but I swear I read that here.

Jim
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Oct 18 2007, 03:02 PM) *

I haven't done this yet (adjust the valves) but I thought you could jack up one side of the car, put it in 5th gear, and rotate the wheel off the ground to see rockers move. This would eliminate the remote starter, and I believe you could rotate the wheel with you feet if you were talented keeping both hands free.

Someone else will need to chime in to confirm, but I swear I read that here.

Jim

it works, but does not really apply here.

The engine is out of the car, there is no tranny in place to set into 5th gear, and the wheels and rear suspension are all up in my attic.

When I get home after my test tonight, I'll clean the fan to see if I can find the engraved "0"

What does the engraved line on top of the fan indicate? That is what I was using for TDC.

Zach
OmegaM1A1
Perhaps TDC is the centermost line on the flywheel, assuming that the lines are evenly spaced, then the center should be 0, lines past will be 5/10 and lines before might be -5/-10

Just a thought
TravisNeff
To find TDC of #1, crank the engine over (by hand in your case) until you see the "0" on the impeller, pop the valve cover off of #1 side and check to see if both valves are slack - if they are you are TDC of #1, if not you are TDC on cyl #3 - you can even double check yourself by popping the opposing side valve cover off and checking ot see if #3 valves are slack or not.
Cap'n Krusty
The true beauty of doing valve adjustments my way, is you NEVER have to find TDC. You don't even need to have the distributor installed. See the classic forum for details:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28758

With the engine out, you can turn the engine over with a 22mm wrench on the alternator, or your hand on the fan, if the shroud's off. Rock one valve, adjust its opposite. I simply can't understand why anyone would try the archaic and difficult method espoused on the Pelican site (no offense, DDD, but it IS the hard way).

The Cap'n, trying to make YOUR life easier .............
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 18 2007, 03:03 PM) *

The true beauty of doing valve adjustments my way, is you NEVER have to find TDC. You don't even need to have the distributor installed. See the classic forum for details:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=28758

With the engine out, you can turn the engine over with a 22mm wrench on the alternator, or your hand on the fan, if the shroud's off. Rock one valve, adjust its opposite. I simply can't understand why anyone would try the archaic and difficult method espoused on the Pelican site (no offense, DDD, but it IS the hard way).

The Cap'n, trying to make YOUR life easier .............

word agree.gif
scotty b
Zach don't sweat it too much. We can run through your valves in no time saturday if need be. Take care of school first. We'll be doing Carolines valves also so it'll be fun and cozy. Kinda like a little family reunion with all the disfunction and only half the sex................................ huh.gif
Dr Evil
Scotty, NO means NO! No sex for you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.