Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: easiest way to remove mirror from windshield?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i run an "evil' mirror. just pour some mek or similar solvent around the base and the mirror should release? i'd hate to break it now.

k
URY914
smash.gif
tdgray
Go to your local FLAPS... they have a solvent specifically designed to do this.

Can't remember what it is but it is right by the adhesive to put it back on.
rhodyguy
i was going to take paul's advice. i think i'll take your path instead. thanks!!
URY914
You'll use that hammer for something else, I'm sure.
rhodyguy
actually, it's my engine tin adj tool for installing a mallory dist. wink.gif
warrenoliver
I recently did this while the windshield was in the car, so it was a little more difficult. I looked at the solvent @ the FLAPS and found that it was nothing more than acetone. So, instead I bought a pint of the stuff (was on the shelf @ FLAPS).
I took a few drops of acetone and let it seep in around the edges of the mirror mount. Every few minutes, I put a little more on it and let it soak (on my windshield, some of it ran down the windshield and I had to be careful not to let it drip on the dash). I let it sit overnight and the next day it easily twisted right off with my hand. Just be patient, let it do its thing.
BTW, acetone is a great way to remove superglue. I use it routinely to remove glass that is superglued to a device at work. I just soak the whole thing overnight and the superglue is gone.

YMMV biggrin.gif

Warrenoliver
TINCAN914
Just to add my .02...
I used a putty knife and a rubber malet, couple taps and it came free. I did this twice. When removinv the mirror from the factory shield and again when I mounted the damn thing to low... headbang.gif
Project 6
Mine just falls off when I look at it wrong.
rhodyguy
acetone? i'll break out some fingernail polish remover and see how it works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.