Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil strainer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Just pulled my oil strainer for the first time in about 15 years. I change my oil 3 times a year, so didn't expect any surprises - none found, just about 1/8 inch of sludge & nothing on the screen.

During the 15+ years on the 914, there were no oil leaks from the anywhere aroung the strainer, so I'm asking for opinions on the preferred crush ring - aluminum (which was on mine), or copper? Just curious as to the potential bias here.

BTW, stripped & refinished the lower plate with Krylon "semi-flat" paint. Nice stuff, but it's a little too glossy. Any ideas on dulling the finish?
Pat

Yeah, I know, this is non-critical stuff to you, but serious to me.
BMartin914
The sump plate kit (2 gaskets and a copper crush washer) is what you need.
type47
at the risk of rath from the Cap'n (and everybody else), why not reuse your old crush ring? (yea, i know it's a 5 cent part)
rmital
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 22 2007, 11:32 PM) *

at the risk of rath from the Cap'n (and everybody else), why not reuse your old crush ring? (yea, i know it's a 5 cent part)

...don't have to...a new one comes with the nifty gasket set from Pelican.
Cap'n Krusty
Copper, aluminum, whatever comes with the kit. BTW, the kits used to come with 2 per kit, now only one, and the gaskets are kinda cheesy. Not the thick ones that come in the overhaul set. Reuse the crush washer? Whaddya, nuts? Cheap is one thing, this is beyond the pale ......................

The Cap'n
anderssj
and which way does the seam in the crush ring face? Up (towards engine case), or down (towards bolt shoulder)? Inquiring minds want to know . . . . smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(anderssj @ Oct 23 2007, 02:27 PM) *

and which way does the seam in the crush ring face? Up (towards engine case), or down (towards bolt shoulder)? Inquiring minds want to know . . . . smile.gif

ALWAYS towards the head of the nut (or bolt, as it's sometimes called). This is especially true of the drain plug and the taco plate bolts, as it lessens the chances of the seal ring material getting in the threads of the fastener. The Cap'n
gary gartner

Ah, s**t:stromberg: , Cap'n
now I gotta go find the thread that tells me WTF
"beyond the pale" means
Gary beer.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 23 2007, 10:57 AM) *

Copper, aluminum, whatever comes with the kit. BTW, the kits used to come with 2 per kit, now only one, and the gaskets are kinda cheesy. Not the thick ones that come in the overhaul set. Reuse the crush washer? Whaddya, nuts? Cheap is one thing, this is beyond the pale ......................

The Cap'n

Cap'n

Got my kit from AA - had the nice thick gaskets & both rings. Decided to use the aluminulium (I like that term) ring, becasue the last one never gave up. Doesn't work, I'll use the copper, or save it till next time.

Now, have one final minor oil leak (any oil leak drives be buggy). Taco plate.

Have a new seal for it, but how much effort is required to pull it off after the bolts are undone? Figured I'd use some sorta hook. And, I can't find the torque setting for the bolts, but figure they're low too.

Any advice?
Pat
orthobiz
ummm
what's the taco plate? (typed at a whisper
lest my ignorance doth show itself)

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 23 2007, 07:04 PM) *

ummm
what's the taco plate? (typed at a whisper
lest my ignorance doth show itself)

Paul

Biz,

Read my byline - I'm about as ignorant as can be. Had to ask Andy to explain this term about a year ago. Part of the learning process.

The taco plate (as it has been dubbed) is a plate on the crankcase - drivers' side, about 3 inches west & 2 inches north of the oil strainer. On cars that have them, it's modfied for the oil temp sensor for an oil temp guage. Mine is a blank, because '72's didn't have the center console with the oil temp guage.

The seal is 35 years old in mine & it's weeping - maybe a drop a month, but that's too much for me. Have a new neoprene seal but not certain of the best method for removal & re-insertion.

The early plates are flat, held on by 2 (I think) 10 mm hex heads. Later ones, probably yours, have a temp senser mounted in them, so they aren't flat.

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.