Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well here's a fine mess Ollie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
This wasn't quite what I expected. I really thought I would find much more rust. The door gap was closed and it was sagging some. But it really isn't much more than dirt and a little surface rust which I think I can convert. The problem is I have to reverse engineer it I can scab plates behind the inner layerI think I'll add some cross bracing between the ridges on the inner layer. Looks like a couple months of work .

Dave
freezing14
thats a piece of cake to fix 2 week end and your done,, you dont even need to repaint the car , it looks scary at first but you you commit to starting it , it goes fast ,, YOU CAN DO IT
DNHunt
I know I can do it. The issue is I tend to dink with stuff. Also, time off to ponder. Then, there are the lost (mislaid) tools. Gotta watch a little football, time for family and oh ya, I have to work some.

It'll get done in it's own time.

Dave
rhodyguy
shall i call betsy and tell her you want an engman kit for christmas?

k
Gint
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 31 2007, 06:16 PM) *

I know I can do it. The issue is I tend to dink with stuff. Also, time off to ponder. Then, there are the lost (mislaid) tools. Gotta watch a little football, time for family and oh ya, I have to work some.

It'll get done in it's own time.

Dave
I work the same way Dave. For the same reasons. laugh.gif
John
Send it to Jake's place and have him discipline (motivate) you into getting it done in short order. You did it with your engine....

Some words of advice.

Jack the door gap slightly larger than you want and weld it back together with as little heat in the longs as possible (and check the door gap many times along the way).

You will reach a point where you won't easily be able to move the door gap and at that point you will want it to be right. (don't ask me how I know)

The BEST method would be to put the car on a jig, but most of us don't have access, so take careful measurements and get it as close as you can.

Good luck with it and don't get in a rush. You can do it.
dinomium
It will be autocross season in 4 months! ESPN has football highlights at 11!
LOL
You will probably still beat me back to the road!
DNHunt
Engman's kit is already here.

The only dimension I'm not sure of is the distance between the inner suspension consoles. I think mine was a little narrow mainly but I'd like to confirm that. My guess is the car was bending up and rotating a bit so that the inner suspension ear was up and toward the midline. That could account for the loss of negative camber.

I plan on monitoring the door gap, trunk gap and distance between the suspension ears as I go. I just need a starting point.

Dave
DNHunt
Time for an update

Rust was neutralized with Metal Ready and Coated with Por 15. I added a little stiffening including a T shaped reinforement. The inner part of the long is welded. Click to view attachment
flesburg
On a car we are working on, we filled the hole where the heater tube entered the long, and then plated (reinforced) from where (Engmans) inner long reinforcement ends, all the way up to the shock mount. You have noticed by now that the heater tube hole lines up right with the jack point and creates a very weak "hinge".

Probably the one design flaw in the 914 tub. The heater tube should have entered somewhere else.
DNHunt
QUOTE(flesburg @ Nov 7 2007, 06:45 PM) *

On a car we are working on, we filled the hole where the heater tube entered the long, and then plated (reinforced) from where (Engmans) inner long reinforcement ends, all the way up to the shock mount. You have noticed by now that the heater tube hole lines up right with the jack point and creates a very weak "hinge".

Probably the one design flaw in the 914 tub. The heater tube should have entered somewhere else.

You are right. I'm sure they must have considered it. I believe that they never thought these cars would last anyway so why bother.

The switch back to standard time has been great. I get a bunch of work done in the morning.

Dave
DNHunt
I've accomplished quite a bit. I added the outside layer of the inner long from a good piece off of another car

Click to view attachment

This was plug welded and the edges were stitch welded.

Click to view attachment

Here is the patch for the outer lower firewall with the heater tube welded in.

Click to view attachment

DNHunt
The inside of the patch. This was cut from a lower outside firewall fromm AA. Nice piece!

Click to view attachment

Here it is inserting it. I doubt the piece of firewall coulbe much bigger and rotate in. Interference would come from the long and the engine shelf.

Click to view attachment

I had to rotate and fudger it in. BFH necessary!

Click to view attachment

DNHunt
That piece tacted in.

Click to view attachment

I left an opening to make sure that I got the heater tube home. Nice snug fit although there is no support in the long like the factory provided.

Click to view attachment

I plugwelded backing for the patches. I'm just not good enough with butt welds so I needed the help.

Click to view attachment
DNHunt
Here is the backing for the inner firewall.

Click to view attachment

Plug welded in

Click to view attachment

Closed up. Not pretty but stuck!

Click to view attachment

Dave

dinomium
that boy is a welding foo!
welder.gif

Keep it up Dr Dave!
greenie
Hi Dave,

How's then "sun burn" healing?

Have you described the benefits of a welding helmut? welder.gif

You are doing very good work!

Greenie
Root_Werks
You know your 914 is trying really hard to recycle itself Dave. biggrin.gif And there you go foiling its plans! welder.gif
McMark
Looks great Dave! I hadn't seen that technique before. Welding in a backing plate first. I like it. thumb3d.gif

Nice work!
DNHunt
I started off the morning tacking in the engine shelf

Click to view attachment

Finished it by stich welding the edges and butt welding in the cut across the shelf. Mark the reason I use that backing is it makes butt welds much easier and stronger I hope.

Click to view attachment

Added back in the triangle support and doughnut.

Click to view attachment

DNHunt
The hard part was grinding down the plug welds in the channel in the engine shelf.

Click to view attachment

Finished putting all the parts back on. I reused the inner layer of the inner long and the inner firewall from my car. I used the outer layer of the inner long and the triangle from Jonesy's silver car. I used a new piece from George at AA for the outer firewall.

Next up is an Engman kit.

Dave
McMark
Mark the reason I use that backing is it makes butt welds much easier and stronger I hope.

agree.gif Yup, I like it! thumb3d.gif I'll be recommending it for beginners in the future and referencing this thread.
rhodyguy
lookin' good dave. you going to bomb the engine bay when the welding is done? canyon rd auto body supply is a good biz for the L96 loaded in cans. if you should want to go with them let me know. order, prepay, and i'll pick it up for you. they usually have a one day turn around. skip that a.b.s store on center street. pick up some Oil Eater @ costco when you start the prep.

k
DNHunt
I started on the Engman kit from Mark. I used all sorts of pieces of wood to apply force so the kit would be in tight fit with car.

Click to view attachment

More

Click to view attachment

I even ran them as stringers across the car.

Click to view attachment

Note how hard I had to work to get the door openning widened. All of that effort gained me 1/8 of an inch at the Targa bar. I suspect that long was bent. It gives me a real appreciation of how much resistance to deformation there is in a rectangle.

Dave
DNHunt
Finished Product.

Repairs with the addition of an Engman kit

Driver's side long

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

DNHunt
Under the Engine Shelf

Click to view attachment

Firewal with Engman Kitl

Click to view attachment
DNHunt
Engman kit installed on the passenger side

Click to view attachment

Driver's side

Click to view attachment

DNHunt
Here's the results. I gained 1mm of doorgap at the top of the door

Before

Click to view attachment

After

Click to view attachment

Dave
dinomium
Nice work Dave.
I drove the green car to the office today, is it snowing yet?
Time to get that thing back together!
biggrin.gif
TINCAN914
Nice Work!!!! Wanna come and do mine? smile.gif
rhodyguy
very good dave. put er' back together and get ready for the new power plant.

k
dinomium
Dave ROOLZ! Not only did he bring me my sooper kewl oilo, he let me drive his new honda fit!
Sweet lil ride!

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.