Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is this bumpsteer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slackin' at work
Ok, my old 74 had this but it was LOW and I never installed a bumpsteer kit.

however, my new 72 in pretty close to stock height, perhaps a tad lower.

so anyway, when Im taking a corner on a bumpy road, the steering wheel moves back and forth in my hand. However, the car stays on track and doesn't wander (my previous understanding of bumpsteer).

is this bumpsteer or normal?? I wasn't expecting it with the new car, but there it was.

if not 'bumpsteer' what is it.

thanks in advance everyone.

-chris
Brian_Boss
Since none of the chassis gurus have jumped on this, I will take a crack at at it. At least it will give you a "bump" wink.gif to the top of the page.

IME, bump steer is most noticeable on a smooth but undulating high speed bend. Unless the geometry is really out of whack, you will just feel the front end grip change as the front suspension compresses and rebounds. No violent motion of the steering wheel.

In a corner with a lot of little bumps, like a washboard surface, a stiffly sprung car will tend to lose grip and sort of "skitter" sideways as the car gains and loses grip, both front and rear. The car actually takes little sideways hops. This has nothing to do with real bump steer. This will tend to make the steering wheel move.

Hope this helps.

BB

messix
bumpsteer is actually a geometric problem with the the steering and suspension links. it causes the wheels to increase or decrease in steering angles as the suspension moves thru it's travel.
this can be measured with the wheels pointed straight and cycling the wheel thru its travel.

you can "feel the the road" thru the steering wheel and as you hit bumps, rocks and such you should feel some feel in the steering but not like it's going to come out of your hands.

worn bushings, rod ends and ball joints can cause the steering wheel to get twitchy, and might be what your describing.
slackin' at work
thanks guys.

"Twitchy" is an excellent description.

I don't need to correct any during the corner, the wheel is just a little twitchy. nothing too pressing... but just wanted to double check with you guys with more experince in the teener-world.

beer.gif
craig downs
Sounds like your tires are out of balance if your steering wheel is shaking. If it was
bump steer your car can change direction suddenly when you hit a bump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.