Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper backdate Question on a '75
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I had the car up on a lift Friday looking to see if there were spots marked on the sheetmetel where the holes for the early bumpers would be located. I did't have a dogbone handy at the time, but it looked like there are slight indents at the far ends.

I read over both bumper install threads and didn't see a reference to this. Any information will be appreciated-- front and back.
rhodyguy
these should get you in the ballpark jim. demensions are to approx the hole centerlines. let me know if you need other shots.

k
jim_hoyland
Kevin,

Thanks. I was trying to find out whether the metal is pre-stamped for the holes. When I look forward from inside the front wheel wells, there appears to be to indents. Am curious if anyone else had seeen this; and whther there is somthing similiar on the rears.
boxstr
Jim Yes there are indents in the body work. But I do not use these as a final position for drilling. I always measure and remeasure before I do any drilling. And I always have dogbones at the ready to use for the vertical distance.
By using studs, rather than bolts to secure the bumpers. You can get a good eyeball measurement by positioning the bumper near the body, in the front and the back. Plus you can install the bumpers without an assistant.
CCL
euro911
Thats gonna look HOT Jim !!! biggrin.gif
boxstr
Jim Just a couple of thoughts. When you take your bumpers in for rechroming, have them fill the hole in the rear bumper. The screw mount is non existnet on the 75-76 bodies. And if you can get away with it fill the front lic. plate bracket holes.
CCL
jk76.914
I ended up dragging my holes anyway, to get the clearence exactly equal where the bumper wraps around each side....

good luck,
Jim
computers4kids
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 4 2007, 07:16 AM) *

I had the car up on a lift Friday looking to see if there were spots marked on the sheetmetel where the holes for the early bumpers would be located. I did't have a dogbone handy at the time, but it looked like there are slight indents at the far ends.

I read over both bumper install threads and didn't see a reference to this. Any information will be appreciated-- front and back.

Jim, very nice bumpers...I didn't see those at the BBQ...where you hiding them? I would appreciate any photos of your update that you want to take along the way. I'm getting ready to do the very same thing.

Oh...if you chicken-out when you get ready to put the drill bit to the metal, you can always send me those bumpers. popcorn[1].gif
Mark
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 4 2007, 11:01 AM) *

Jim Just a couple of thoughts. When you take your bumpers in for rechroming, have them fill the hole in the rear bumper. The screw mount is non existnet on the 75-76 bodies. And if you can get away with it fill the front lic. plate bracket holes.
CCL

Is all re-chroming pretty much the same process. Is there anything in particular one should be sure the process includes. Both bumpers are in good condition, one has a small ding, the other is shedding some chrome. Ss picture below.

Most of the places I have been to sub out the chrome work to place outside my immediate area.

Got the studs...read your thread.

boxstr
Jim I think that smaller chrome shops are harder to find these days. Most of them are into production work. I think Leamon had a shop that had a great price.
The one shop I use here in Portland is Oregon Plating. They do very high quality work , and you pay for it. The reason for higher price is triple plating, that means more dipping and more brass to help hide flaws. Check around and get quotes and ask the shops what you get for the money.
I have tried another place close to CAMP 914 in Oregon City, but I was not happy with the finished product.
One thing that I have been told is let the chrome shop take care of any flaws or dent removal. By doing it yourself you can cause more work, more money.
CCL
craig downs
Problem is a lot of chrome shop are owned by flakes so make sure you go to one that is recommended. Don't skimp ether and definitely go with a triple plating the look is
so much better
euro911
Copper, Nickel, Chrome .

Some shops will 'forget' the nickel plating to save themselves $ ... their stuff starts turning green and the chrome starts flaking off after a while dry.gif
bbrown
You may want to think about adding the "Tow Hook" bracket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.