Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That blinking green light...tech question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
My oil pressure light often comes on briefly, especially when the engine is cold and when the idle is low.

2.0L engine, stock configuration, stock FI, 950-rpm idle, 4 quarts of 30-wt Castrol always. 114K miles, slight smoking, have not checked compression. 1/2 qt oil usage with every fill-up, I keep it topped up.

Are the oil pressure valves just gummed up? Or is my oil pump or oil pressure sender worn out?

Why is this and what can I do about it?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 8 2007, 12:24 AM) *

My oil pressure light often comes on briefly, especially when the engine is cold and when the idle is low.

2.0L engine, stock configuration, stock FI, 950-rpm idle, 4 quarts of 30-wt Castrol always. 114K miles, slight smoking, have not checked compression. 1/2 qt oil usage with every fill-up, I keep it topped up.

Are the oil pressure valves just gummed up? Or is my oil pump or oil pressure sender worn out?

Why is this and what can I do about it?

Install a new switch first and see if that is the problem. Usuallly the light comes on when hot not cold if the oil pressure is low.
Cap'n Krusty
Yup. And put 20w50 in it. The old Porsche "thing" about multi-grade oils is long gone, and you'll get better lubrication in both cold and hot weather with 20w50. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
whats your oil temp look like?

hot oil is thin oil..... thinner oil is harder to make adequate pressure with
Garland
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 8 2007, 04:26 PM) *

Yup. And put 20w50 in it. The old Porsche "thing" about multi-grade oils is long gone, and you'll get better lubrication in both cold and hot weather with 20w50. The Cap'n

agree.gif Doing the same with 20/50 for 30 years in mine.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 8 2007, 02:18 PM) *

whats your oil temp look like?

hot oil is thin oil..... thinner oil is harder to make adequate pressure with

He said it happens when the engine is COLD ya 'tard.!! av-943.gif
Twystd1
GeeeZZZ Elliot,

(He doesn't know what TARD means)

C
Bleyseng
BradPenn 20/50w or that Mobil 1 20/50w AirCooled Motorcycle oil
and your motor will love it.
BMartin914
Valvoline 20w50 racing is also readily available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.