Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: running stock distributor with carbs.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slackin' at work
my car has a 009 and I know it is not doing me any favors.

I NEED to replace it with something... and Im eventually going back to FI.

so my question is, can I run a stock distributor with dual carbs? Should I take the trigger-points out until Im ready to go FI?

of course I don't have the stock distributor, so before I buy one Id like to know if it's OK to run it until I make the swap.

beer.gif

-chris
TravisNeff
yes you can run a stock distributor, I'd leave the trigger points in as you will get a bunch of crap in your distributor from the hole where the points were. Rig up a retard line in your intake manifold too.
anderssj
I've heard that the stock distributor from a 1.8L is a good choice, but I have no personal experience (still running a bosch 050 with DRLA40s).

Best,
slackin' at work
thanks guys for the thoughts.

I was just about to buy an SVDA dist. from aircooled.net (I was at the online checkout) and realized it was dumb if I was just going to have to find a stock one once I went to make the swap.

teef.gif
andys
When I made a Weber carb swap on my 2.0L some 30+ years ago, I used the stock distributor.

Andys
914Mike
QUOTE(anderssj @ Nov 8 2007, 12:49 PM) *

I've heard that the stock distributor from a 1.8L is a good choice, but I have no personal experience (still running a bosch 050 with DRLA40s).

Best,

Yep, the one from almost any 1.8 is mo' better than any 009! barf.gif (Or the one from a 2.0 bus motor for that matter. ) I'm running the 1.8 dizzy on my 2056 with the baby Webers, set the max advance @ 27 deg. and it's good to go, nice idle 'cause the mechanical advance has lots more degrees than a 009. I never hooked up the retard side of the dashpot, but the advance side is connected to the Weber vac ports... beer.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I use a 50 with a Petronics (sp) unit, with 40's since 2000 ,the only trouble was

of my own makeing. I.E. left the ignition switch on burnt the Petronics out.

Good luck Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.