Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2008 "Middle of Nowhere"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
greenie
To expedite this weekends decisions....

This is the basic plan Rich is working on & my concerns with the event.

He is working with Don Kitch who provides approximately eighty events per year.

I've asked Rich to put some basic facts together on the possible track event. We need to describe this event for the guys on the planning forum, then we need to make a decision.

The event will be held mid July.

My understanding and questions regarding this opportunity. I posed these questions to Rich:

This event will be held on a Monday evening due to capacity at PIR & Don's schedule. We may have a twilight event with an undefined time allowance?

The cost is approx. $5000.00 flat rate Ex: ( 10 ) sign- up $500.00 ea, ( 20 ) sign-up $250.00 ea. etc.

Someone will have to pay in advance ( probably 50%) who will do this?

What will a person spending these kind of $$$ be doing with their time at the track? I think we should be able to tell them specifically or we may have some unhappy campers.

I'm looking for opinions on this, feel free to express yours..

Curt
DNHunt
I'm sure it's been thought of already but remember, to put it nicely, as a group we are frugle. My guess is that the sweet spot on track time is going to be between $100 and $150. In my opinion we would have a hard time getting 50 track cars and if pricing goes above 150 we'll see people cheap out. I realize $150 is cheap track time as it is but, I have a healthy respect for how cheap our group is. Whoever fronts the cash for this should really consider some of it a donation. I'm sorry for sounding negative, I personally would love to drive on the big track. An opportunity like that could make this a really memorable get together.

Also, we would need to know what tech requirements will be needed early. I suspect many of the cars (street cars at least) will need some work. If we ask people to shell out I would hate to have to tell them no go. Earlier the better on this and frequent follow ups to get people off their asses.

Maybe one of the speed shops might want to help with sponsorship if they thought we might send a little local business their way. I for one am going to need an alignment and corner balance. And I wouldn't mind an experienced eye going over my car before going on the track.

Dave
PeeGreen 914
I am willing to chip 2-300 in for the deposit if needed. Maybe others would be too. The shop thing is a good idea, but we would be rather limited as to what shops we could go through.

Parkplace, Acres, Chris's, Squires, Fordahl,...who else?
Bleyseng
Acre's? av-943.gif

its Denny Akers....

We will need some sort of sponsorships to bring the cost down to the $250-300 level IMHO....

I am in at that price for sure....

Do we start selling chocolate bars now of what to raise money? popcorn[1].gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 14 2007, 05:22 PM) *

Acre's? av-943.gif

its Denny Akers....

We will need some sort of sponsorships to bring the cost down to the $250-300 level IMHO....

blink.gif
and to think that I am friends with Mark too. Acre's or Aker's.. you got the idea av-943.gif

Hey, I could sell candy bars all day long. Just take my little boy out and people would pay for sure biggrin.gif
DNHunt
I really don't know if we carry enough weight with shops but, if we were able to go to them with poll results that showed say 35 or 40 cars would come if the fees were $X and there would be say 15 local cars perhaps some shop like the ones mentioned would take on a sponsors role. I suspect the key is being able to show there is the potential for good exposure as well as in to a substantial number of local people.

I don't know about all of you but, I'm pretty loyal to suppliers that I know personnally. A spin off is if we can show a really good turnout it might encourage a local supplier to support our cars a little more.

Dave
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Dec 14 2007, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Dec 14 2007, 05:22 PM) *

Acre's? av-943.gif

its Denny Akers....

blink.gif
and to think that I am friends with Mark too. Acre's or Aker's.. you got the idea av-943.gif

Hey, I could sell candy bars all day long. Just take my little boy out and people would pay for sure biggrin.gif

Now all we need is a CNC chocolate mold of a 914 to make the candy to sell. chair.gif
greenie
Hey Guys,

Here is where I'm at with the possibility of a Pacific Raceways Event:

1) Event must be booked in advance approx. cost $5000.00
50% Down =$2500.00 ( I assume non refundable)

2) Held on a Monday evening, track available until sunset. I'm not that excited about wrapping the WWR 2008 into Monday.

3) Undefined activity while at the track, what are people getting for their money?

The only way I see this thing coming together in a timely fashion is if someone ( or group) is strongly committed to making this happen, meaning they pony up the $$ and become the promoter, they take the financial risk/reward.

My opinion is it is too expensive for our membership, too disruptive to the workweek & to loosey goosey on what we get for the money.

At this point I need to move forward, I'll give this a day or so to see if anyone here steps up, if not there will be no Pacific Raceway event.

I'll guarantee even without this activity we will still have a great time.

Curt

rhodyguy
i agree with you curt. if there are people wanting a monday night limited track experience, they can form a seperate group and do it. the group in general would not look kindly on subsidizing a few hours at PRI for a limited few, when in all likelyhood they will be on their way home.

on a different note, one of the ideas of the whole wcc/wramble was to hopefully raise a little money to donate to a charity. special olympics the first 2 years, ronald mac house in 06'. imho, it would be nice if the concept can be preserved.

pick the dates, determine and offer lodging accoms, and keep it simple. folks will be more than happy standing around hammering down a few beers and shooting the shit in a parking lot til the wee hours.

k
914werke
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 13 2007, 07:45 PM) *

To expedite this weekends decisions....

This is the basic plan Rich is working on & my concerns with the event.

He is working with Don Kitch who provides approximately eighty events per year.
I've asked Rich to put some basic facts together on the possible track event.
We need to describe this event for the guys on the planning forum, then we need to make a decision.

The event will be held mid July.

My understanding and questions regarding this opportunity.
I posed these questions to Rich:
This event will be held on a Monday evening due to capacity at PIR & Don's schedule. We may have a twilight event with an undefined time allowance?
The cost is approx. $5000.00 flat rate Ex: ( 10 ) sign- up $500.00 ea, ( 20 ) sign-up $250.00 ea. etc.

*will* Someone will have to pay in advance ( probably 50%) (If so) who will do this?

What will a person spending these kind of $$$ be doing with their time at the track?
I think we should be able to tell them specifically or we may have some unhappy campers.
I'm looking for opinions on this, feel free to express yours..

Curt

Ok here goes this may be long so bear w/me.
Same as Curt my Profesional life pretty swallowed up all my time up to to the 14th. Budgets, proposals, reports, personnel reviews, and just plain old BS.
To cap things off Just when I think Ive got it all done and I can relax and enjoy some vacation over the holiday...my personal life gets JACKED and Im F'n reeling. Needless to say I wasnt focused on this crap and Its still pretty raw for me so Ill leave it at that and dish what Ive been able to gather so far.

As Curt relayed I had a couple contacts to work. One was the owner of my co. who has some pull with the fattys at SOVREN and Kitch who runs the school at PR.
My boss said any weight he could swing was mine. smile.gif He offered his Garage as venue for our banquet as well. Step one done.
I called and left Don a message and got a reply the day he returned from a vacation in Spain. We discussed my inquiry and the particulars that would be challenging. Suprisingly he wasnt as dismissive as he probably should have been
considering I was describing a vauge uncommitied event with a scketchy # of cars
of various conditions and experiance of drivers, who we would have to pry money out of to put it all togther.
His suggestion was our best bet was either working with the Alfa Club or a Twilight event after one of his schools or trackdays.
The # of cars is key. If it was a handfull (1-7) he felt he could work us into one of his deals but the # I threw at him was more like 20-50. At that level he said we needed our own event, as evan the Alfa group may be hard pressed to accomadate us.
Our problems are:
Economics (#'s)
Driver experiance
Vehical safety (tech)
Track safety

$'s : A figure that was thrown out was about 5K. for that Kitch would put on a clinic
Provide us with MANDATORY instructors to familirize the participants with the track and to asses thier level of skill/safety. Afterwhich we'd prolly get some sessions of lead/follow, propably no open track lapping unless the ratio of instructors to drivers or those w/ comp lics was high. For that $ he evan said he put on some sort of post event BBQ and bench racing Q/A.

So at 50 cars your looking at $100 a head. Could we deliver 50 cars? Im skeptical.
But I have ideas on that Ill come back to.

Driver Experiance: This one is the Kicker. lets say we get 50 cars there Ill guess MAYBE 10-15 drivers will have a comp lic or track experiance. So we need someone to provide in-car instructors so those folks can get ON the track.
This is where working with Kitch is a better solution than perhaps the Alfa club.
Kitch is payiung his guys and can keep them there "working" instead of the all voluenteer Alfa group who may or may not be able or willing to split thier own seat time doing instructor duty.

Vehical Safety : so it goes w/o saying no pass tech, no get on the track. Here if we make it clear up front that if your car is "questionable" then dont register. Good tires, Wheel bearings, BRAKES, no oiling the track ect ect. Its gonna filter some. Helmets will be mandatory.

Track Safety : Okay I dont want to scare anyone off but we need to cover this as well. PR is a fun a track but it is a bit intimidating to the uninitiated. This is why the concern about un-schooled yahoos hot laping comes from. PR doesnt have the type of runoff that the crew from CA might be comfortable with. If you think your superman and over drive your car on this track you will get hurt and possibly get killed. I personnaly have experianced a good friend getting killed while in a (motorcycle) race there and seen my share of bad accidents.

Figuring this deal was a long shot to start with Ive been talking to a bunch of folks.
One of the groups I have run with in the past is the Audi club so I reached out to Pat Martin thier club pres. and described our effot and his comments were much the same as Dons. Thy arent high on the pecking oder for track days so have been piggy backing with Alfa in the past as well. Pat DID mention that if we could negotiate our own deal he could deliver perhaps 25 solid perticipant paying cars of which the majority could pull Instructor duty!!
Ive Passed emails with Larry who was trying to connect with his contacts in the Alfa club.
Ive also been talking to Eddie who has been working his contacts at Bremerton Sports car club and the alfa group. Eddie sounds like he got a deal that should be seriously considered at Bremerton raceway since alot of the hassle (& cost) is lessened but the negitives are the location and the track itself which is great for auto-x but not as great for lapping. Ill let him describe that one.

Anyway I think the target for registration fees should be at 125-150. with and track fee of $100 (if PR) is do-able.
Im now waiting on Kitch to get back to me with his schedual.
Curt mention a mid July time frame which would be ideal but I believe would be more difficult to secure a date.
More likely would be late june early July, either pre or just post 7/4 which has the added draw for those choosing to make a vacationout of it the SOVREN historics at PR a BIG car guy event.

How to pay if we nail the details? good question I dont think we have a benifiactor with deep pockets to front the $$'s for us so the suggestion is we detail the event and collect in advance the money with a participant threshold and drop dead date.

As for the sponser thing Gerber is a likley candidate as he has already offered to lend himself to a tech session or something at the garage event if we choose.

Ok Im getting bleary so Im wrapping this up for now.

PeeGreen 914
Wow, thanks for all you work in this Rich and Curt. Whatever you guys can figure out I am behind. If there is anything you guys need from me let me know.
DNHunt
I'm gonna join in on that. I'm behind ya too whatever gets decided. I know no one can get everthing they would like to do into something like this. So, whatever direction it takes i'll do what I can.

Dave
greenie
Hey Guy’s & Gal’s,

It’s been said you can’t please everyone but I’m giving it my best….

I’m at the point where I need to post the event so people can make vacation plans & schedule time from work

I wanted to post this weekend but my hotel dude left for Christmas without finalizing everything for me. He’ll be back next week so I’m getting this info to the planning forum only.

The Holiday Inn Issaquah has been very accommodating & flexible. Room rate will be approx. $150.00

I’ve blocked out rooms, for this weekend, they are flexible in our usage of this block of rooms. People can sign-up for two, three or four nights, they will give us a “use it or lose it” period to register, (probably thru April) there will be no $$ penalty if we do not use all the rooms. Once registered the individual will be responsible for the room.

Because of the hotels flexibility we don’t have to slam the door on the track event quite yet.

I’ll be able to post the event with a provision that there may be a track event, this will be outside the Ramble, no monies will be set aside for this, track guy’s will have to work this themselves.

So here goes….

West Coast Ramble 2008[size=4]

Where: Seattle Washington

When: July 11th (Friday), 12th (Saturday), 13th (Sunday) 2008

Lodging: Holiday Inn Issaquah WA (description price & hotel link will be provided in announcement)

Motel 6 recently remodeled, just a walk across the street to Holiday Inn, this provides for a budget alternative

Schedule:

Thursday Night July 10th Unofficial (whatever that means) Meet & Greet hotel parking lot , people driving distance may stagger in at all hours, locals can hang & have a few beers.

Friday July 11th: The official start of the event

AM Shine & Show hotel parking lot

Ferry Trip Departing Seattle, casual drive to Port Townsend & back.
My thinking on this day...
It has been repeatedly expressed that a ferry trip is a signature of a Seattle event and I agree. We could depart noonish for Bainbridge Island ( or ? ) giving folks traveling from the region ( B.C., Portland etc.) time to get to Seattle without the expense of lodging the previous night. The long distance travelers will probably appreciate a little down time.

We don’t want to pack too much into this day just have some fun.

Arrive back in Issaquah, evening Burgers at the XXX or back to hotel for beer.

Saturday July 12th:

This will be our major driving trip

I will leave it to the consensus of the planning group (let’s all play nice) which trip we take.

A.) Leavenworth Drive
This would be a pretty but fairly boring drive, the destination is the thing, imagine the cool photos we can take in Leavenworth?

B.) Mt Rainier Drive
Possibly a more interesting drive, scenic but without the same pizzazz at the destination?

Evening event Seattle Waterfront parking on the Pier, dinner, & back to hotel

Sunday July 13th:

This day is fairly open depending on what happens on Monday.

Possible Monday July 14th: Possible Pacific Raceways Track Event

To do: Determine Charge for event

Promotion s & freebies (I have a volunteer)

Charity Fundraising, need volunteer

Create Logo Hats, T-shirts ( we will use same company that did WCR 2007)

Beer Sponsors

The announcement will be fairly general, each days activities will not be described, please give me some feedback if you like, I plan on announcing next week.

Greenie
PeeGreen 914
Sounds good to me biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
very good. you might consider the boat out of edmonds too. we all want to be on the same boat. it won't be fun if 1 or 2 cars don't make it and the folks on the other side have to wait. try to time things to arrive on the return so everyone gets back to this side after the bulk of the evening commute. any changes can be made right up to the final days leading to the event. POST THE DATES OUT FRONT so folks can put in for vacation time and get a tentative "plan on attending" number. to ease on the ferry rates, if discounted commuter books are still being done it's worth looking into.
greenie
I hope Reverie doesn't mind that I pasted this,just wanted to get his thoughts out front.

Greenie

reverie dinner, Dec 23 2007, 03:02 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 427

Hi, Curt.

Exciting post! I think we should try to maximize attendance at the "on the pier" event by making it affordable, and by making it easy for people to get there -- the parking situation, the varying levels of sobriety (!).. it could be problematic for non-locals. Assuming there is a sizeable group of people, using minivans and sedans as "Fun-Mobiles" might be good. Maybe RichD has thoughts on that..

Will most of the loot be given out at that event? It seems like a natural fit.. the perfect day, the perfect time, the perfect fish..

Looking forward to helping,

Roger Monet' (and Guido and Luigi)

Bleyseng
I am still working on the pier idea..... chair.gif
reverie
I like what Rich said early on: "These things don't happen overnight."

Funny how that PM got quoted, Curt... the title of the PM was "dinner".
If we want a "reverie dinner" we're gonna need more Guinness Stout.
LS6/914
Hi gang, I recieved a PM from Rich on the track day planning. My life went to poop recently however now that Iam at the shop all the time its getting better. As far as safety inspections go for a possible track day I can volunteer my shop and forms needed. Before any vehicle is inspected at PIR it must have a safety inspection from a licensed shop. Tow vehicles for the event...not a problem 914s dont break down av-943.gif Just kidding, I can use the CaddyHauler and BigRed to fetch em during any part of the gathering. For you folks needing suspension setting this can also be handled however Iam on the Kitsap peninsula. I hope this helps, Larry 360 265 1311
greenie
Hi Guys,

The WCR 2008 event posted in the garage today, McMark set-up the Event page for us with registration & such.

For simplicity I made no mention of a possible track event.

If someone wants to start a new thread exploring turn-out etc. for a track event feel free to do so.

As I described earlier the lodging offers us some flexibility, if there is enough interest & dollars commited to justify adding a day I think it will be easy to do.

I do not have the time or energy to organize this feature to the ramble.

In the coming weeks I'll create a "to do" list, I'll be looking for volunteers to organize these tasks.

I thank everyone for the great idea's & efforts to date.

Curt
914werke
I do not have the time or energy to organize this feature to the ramble

mad.gif
Ya know Curt Im kinda ticked at how this went down.
You announce your going to facilitate organizing the event in the NW
You ask for input and volunteers to delvope the features
Unnaimously the planning participants agree that a track event would be a
coup and I offer to chase down some options.
Before I have anything formal to communicate (& evan before the turn of the yr) you post dates limiting any possibility of coordinating such an feature.

Fuckin stupid.

Thanks for wasting my "time and energy".

BTW Kitch called me back today. He advised that he was able to secure two "twilite" event dates at Pacific Raceways one in July and one in August.
Knowing that per my conversations w/him we were interested in July he was holding that date for us. We would need 40-50 cars and the track fee per would be about $200. Since I had also lined up about 20 possible cars from the Audi club that ment that that we were on the hook for 20 914's. I think that could have easily pulled that off.

Oh well, never mind.
I call and let him know to we'll pass.

Eddie still has an option working with the BSSC, for an event at Bremerton maybe he has the time & energy? but again unless they already have a trk day planned either pre or post the dates youve committed to ..... you can kiss that possibility off as well.

If you think Im being a little harsh, well..tough cuz this isnt just me hiding behind a KB, anyone who knows me knows Id say the same thing to you in person.

Dont worry Ill get over it. Im just a personality that if Im gonna do something I do it 100% so Im sure it will all work out and everyone will have a great time.

I guess Im to blame for volunteering. chair.gif

greenie
Hi Guys,

The WCR 2008 event posted in the garage today, McMark set-up the Event page for us with registration & such.

For simplicity I made no mention of a possible track event.

If someone wants to start a new thread exploring turn-out etc. for a track event feel free to do so.

As I described earlier the lodging offers us some flexibility, if there is enough interest & dollars commited to justify adding a day I think it will be easy to do.

I do not have the time or energy to organize this feature to the ramble.

In the coming weeks I'll create a "to do" list, I'll be looking for volunteers to organize these tasks.

I thank everyone for the great idea's & efforts to date.

Curt

Rich,

Did you even read my previous post?

Harsh maybe, misguided yes.

Curt
reverie
It's still early. The dates were posted just the other day, and nothing has been posted on Pelican or Narp or 914 Club yet. If the dates are changed to accommodate a track event, it could be really good..
greenie
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 6 2008, 07:58 PM) *

I do not have the time or energy to organize this feature to the ramble

mad.gif
Ya know Curt Im kinda ticked at how this went down.
You announce your going to facilitate organizing the event in the NW
You ask for input and volunteers to delvope the features
Unnaimously the planning participants agree that a track event would be a
coup and I offer to chase down some options.
Before I have anything formal to communicate (& evan before the turn of the yr) you post dates limiting any possibility of coordinating such an feature.

Fuckin stupid.

Thanks for wasting my "time and energy".

BTW Kitch called me back today. He advised that he was able to secure two "twilite" event dates at Pacific Raceways one in July and one in August.
Knowing that per my conversations w/him we were interested in July he was holding that date for us. We would need 40-50 cars and the track fee per would be about $200. Since I had also lined up about 20 possible cars from the Audi club that ment that that we were on the hook for 20 914's. I think that could have easily pulled that off.

Oh well, never mind.
I call and let him know to we'll pass.

Eddie still has an option working with the BSSC, for an event at Bremerton maybe he has the time & energy? but again unless they already have a trk day planned either pre or post the dates youve committed to ..... you can kiss that possibility off as well.

If you think Im being a little harsh, well..tough cuz this isnt just me hiding behind a KB, anyone who knows me knows Id say the same thing to you in person.

Dont worry Ill get over it. Im just a personality that if Im gonna do something I do it 100% so Im sure it will all work out and everyone will have a great time.

I guess Im to blame for volunteering. chair.gif

Hi Rich,

You are officially off my Christmas card list.

I''ve been called a few things in my life , I can now add "Fuckin Stupid " to it smile.gif

Now back to business,

If I did not communicate precisely enough:

1) I have not closed the door on the track event.

I think it would be fantastic to offer some type of track event. If someone is willing to organize, coordinate, collect fees, etc. for a track event, then we should definitely go for it. We can publicize it as an add-on activity, and put those interested directly in touch with whoever takes on the organization of the event. I'm not against a track event, but as Ramble organizer "I do not have the time or energy to take on this feature of the ramble".

2) As I stated earlier it would be easy to add another day to the ramble, as long as we get it organized before 3/15/08. The guys that want to participate will just stay another day, the people not interested can head home.

3) My comment regarding "outside the Ramble" only relate to the dollars collected for the event. I do not think it is fair to charge non-track-participants, or subsidize the track fees with any Ramble registration $$.

If you would like I will modify the "Announcement" to say "Possible Track Event Monday Evening"

I'm not sure how to direct the coordination of this. Who will be taking on this event organization? We need to let people know, so we can direct them to the right contact person for sign ups, $$ commitment, etc. Before we modify the announcement to say "possible Track Event" we should probably have that person nailed down, so we can give interested people the contact email, phone # etc for questions, comments, concerns.

Rich, I know you have put a lot of effort into trying to pull this event together. No one's volunteer efforts are ever in vain or a waste of time - thanks for working to make this year's Ramble a success!

Unfortunately, track event info didn't come together before we had to put something official regarding Ramble dates out there for the club. With only six months to go (and three before our hotel cutoff dates) we needed to pull the trigger. If you feel that passionately about the viability of and interest in a track event, continue your work and let's publicize the details!

Curt
McMark
Rich, your frustration is understandable, but I think Curt had to make a choice ASAP to get everyone's vacation time put on their calenders. For comparison, I had about 20 people sign up for the 07 AX and it was only $30. I say take the dates and work something out. Lemons/lemonade... something like that.
PeeGreen 914
Hey Rich

I can understand your frustration. However, I still would love to see some sort of track thing involved with the WCR if we can. I know you have put a lot of work into this and it would be a shame to waste it.

Curt

I know you are doing the best you can. Thanks for everything to date. I a, sure this event will be amazing.

Let's make sure that we make this the best WCR ever drunk.gif
rhodyguy
ok, post an interest thread in the garage and see how many attendees are ready to "hell ya! i'm in!!" NOT interested, IN. then determine the exact qualifications to get a car on the track. safety specs, driver experience, etc. then the pony up the track fees well in advance. the audi guys too.

roger, no offense intended. you might defer to folks who have actually attended one or more of these events. they know what happens when the party gets started. a little fun during the day and more fun at night. it's pretty simple. too much and it gets overly complicated. any notion of driving someplace, AND DRINKING, is a VERY bad idea. period. people are not going to leave their cars in seattle after drinking a few beers. i seriously doubt the authorities will allow any public consumption of alcohol, say at the pier. hard to hide a keg and bottles of wine.
boxstr
Hey Rich, go smoke a cigar. You know the one. Love ya man. It is not an easy job getting this event together.
People from past WCC's were not all that interested in a track event once they got to the hotel and got there cars parked and started to meet other people.
Sure you will have people bitch that there is no track event, but there are many other things to do.
I don't think I would spend $100-200. to race around a track.
What I heard was they wanted time to talk and meet each other. Put a face to a name from the 914 forums that we all visit. Sit around and just shoot the breeze. We did that at the last couple events here in PDX.
Just my $.02 worth.
CCL
boxstr
I am going to post pics later today of the license plates that we received to help commemorate the WCC/WCR events.

We have had some really cool plastic ones and some really cool metal ones.

I would like to get an idea of what people want. Cost will be a factor, and the minimum amounts that have to be ordered will also factor in.

If anyone has one handy and would to post a pic of the past plates, please feel free to do so.
Thanks
Craig C. Laughlin WCC 2006 in PDX
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 8 2008, 08:54 AM) *

Hey Rich, go smoke a cigar. You know the one. Love ya man. It is not an easy job getting this event together.
People from past WCC's were not all that interested in a track event once they got to the hotel and got there cars parked and started to meet other people.
Sure you will have people bitch that there is no track event, but there are many other things to do.
I don't think I would spend $100-200. to race around a track.
What I heard was they wanted time to talk and meet each other. Put a face to a name from the 914 forums that we all visit. Sit around and just shoot the breeze. We did that at the last couple events here in PDX.
Just my $.02 worth.
CCL

agree.gif track days are nice, but they are *not* the glue that holds these events together ...

i for one am not all that interested to drive 1000 miles in a 914 just to spend a full day at the track and then drive home another 1000 miles ...

i'd rather sit on my big fat butt and drink beer and shoot shit in the parking lot with my friends ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
boxstr
Okay Here are some ideas for license plates, what do you guys like??
The first one is a plastic one and the other two were metal.
PeeGreen 914
I like the last one the best. I would buy one of those. I would think it should be forrest green though since it is in Seattle... I know it is the emerald city, but wWashington being the Evergreen State and emerald green not being that great of a color I vote forrest biggrin.gif
boxstr
Good that can be done. This is the year of green. Right Curt??LOL
CCL
boxstr
Okay. The lic plates will be like the last pic. They will have a new logo. Then the sponsor names around the logo, which will be very much like the one in the pics.
Craig C. Laughlin
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif
greenie
Hi Craig,

We should have the new WCR 2008 logo very soon.

If the pricing looks good I think the quality metal plate would be the way to go.

Thanks for your help, as soon as I get the graphic we will post .

Curt
boxstr
Curt, The WCCR 2008 that I posted is from Mark. I thought that was the new one??? It won't matter.
Craig C. Laughlin
ConeDodger
Hi guys! I hope all is well for the planners! I have been cheer.gif doing my best to keep things on the front page and out in front of everyone.

A couple of kind of cool low level ideas I had and which were talked about on the public forum that I wanted to bring up: A radio controlled 914 autocross in the parking lot. A German swear word clinic lead by Andy. It is best to swear at your German car in a language it understands for best effect!

Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do when I run out of numbers. I am on to 59 and counting down as of tomorrow morning.

FWIW, I love the track as much as anyone but I am not going to drive a 1000 miles and risk breaking my car and having it ride a tow truck home while I take a one way Southworst Airline ride. Just can't risk that...
greenie
Hi Guys,

I have some new things to add to the WCR Ramble...

I'm thinking of taking the announcement with photo on page one & starting a new thread to draw some new attention.. McMark will have to do this.

Rob has put alot of cheer.gif effort into the countdown so we need to continue this somehow? Rob how do you want to handle this?

Some of the new additions....

We've been able to reduce the room rate from $140.00 est to $106 plus tax at the Holiday Inn. I'll post the hotel links & ph #s

We've been able to extend the sign-up deadline to 4/15/08

I've changed these already on page 1 announcement.

I'm going to better describe that there is a max of $150.00 entry cost( kids etc are not charged if someone wants to make this a family event)

I'm going to post RV accomodations these will need to be secured ASAP they fill up fast.

I have not heard anything from the graphics guy, I'll try again but if not I'm going to plan B...a local guy I know.

I'll working on a list of time critical specifics that I'll need some help with...

Curt

home ph 425-641-4482
ConeDodger
Curt,

My thoughts on the countdown is this, when you go to a new announcement thread, we count the days to the event and restart the countdown on the new page. My guess is that no one would even notice. But if they do, who cares...

If you get a discount code for the hotel you can link to yopu's travel site and they can just enter the discount code when asked. Mark and I are working on a banner ad for her and she may contribute some sponsorship money if asked. Not much as she wouldn't make a dime but if it gets people using her site it would be great. I can hook you up with her phone number Curt...

Just a heads up though... Not that I am really needed at the event but I may have to go to another country for some research in July. This is something that I wrote a grant request for and it may be approved. A study of cultural differences in health care systems between the US and Philippine Islands. It appears poised for approval. I want to be up there and Mark DeBernardi and I had planned to drive my car up with Yopu and Nicho taking a Southwest hop to Seattle.

Dr. Rob Sime aka Conedodger
greenie
How's this for a new graphic??

Greenie
rhodyguy
your absense will be a dissapointment mark. dry.gif wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 2 2008, 05:31 AM) *

Kevin,

Maybe yes maybe no... I have taken a lot of my PTO time as sick leave in the last couple weeks. Darn kid brings home every bug from school. Sniffling all the time. I may not have the PTO time to go... if I don't have the two weeks I will likely have the three days.
rhodyguy
fly up then rob. southwest is prob cheaper that the fuel it would take to drive.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 5 2008, 01:00 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 2 2008, 05:31 AM) *

Kevin,

Maybe yes maybe no... I have taken a lot of my PTO time as sick leave in the last couple weeks. Darn kid brings home every bug from school. Sniffling all the time. I may not have the PTO time to go... if I don't have the two weeks I will likely have the three days.

It would be cool to actually meet you. You've done so much cheering on it would be a shame to not see you. I may not be able to make every day as I have a baby coming on July 9th, but you could use my car if you have to fly wink.gif

I like the graphic Curt. Very cool
ConeDodger
We shall see... Still waiting the IRB approval. Getting late for the July plan but we will see.
rhodyguy
i got a pm from larry. he still hasn't heard if the group intends to stop by his shop on the peninsula run. it would be rude not to. perhaps you could send him the password curt.

k
greenie
Hey Kevin,

I PMd Larry & gave him the secret password. I think this will give us a nice destination for Fridays event.

Greenie

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 15 2008, 12:25 PM) *

i got a pm from larry. he still hasn't heard if the group intends to stop by his shop on the peninsula run. it would be rude not to. perhaps you could send him the password curt.

k

rhodyguy
i'm taking cash too. i'm sure he'll have some fine items stashed away. i'm always on 'the hunt'.

k
LS6/914
Iam going to try to round up some clients rides, I have already put in for time off. The problem is I have been "forced into a SUPERVISOR POSITION" Anyway there is a old garage/museum in Port Townsend worth seening. Also the brewery! The drive to the shop is along discovery bay. Confirmed cars at the hole in the wall will be Noble M400 w/ prototype 525hp/2Klb chassis. McLaren/Ultima CanAm 1950 lb. 678hp. Supercharged NSX with a full coil/over suspension......When this comes out of the shop it rains Iam not kidding. Some boring Ferarris (opps did i spell that wrong? FIAT) Caterham 260CSR, Lotus 7 w/ 13B bridgeport rotary (bring ear plugs) Some newer 996 from RUF again boring. I hope this all comes together as these cars and the drive are AWESOME.... Larry 360 265 1311
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.