Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tracking down an old (urban) 914 legend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
1970 Neun vierzehn
In 1979, I attended the 25th PCA Parade in Reston, Virginia. At this Parade, there was a green 914/6 that rumor had it was built (so help, it was said) from the parts book. Now we, I anyway, took this to mean that not every individual part # was sourced, but major sub-assemblies (i.e. /6 engine, transmission, hub assemblies, etc.). The most intriguing part of this story was that all the body components, including the bare tub, were sourced through the Porsche parts network. As I recall, this car was presented as an either '72 or '73 model /6! huh.gif

So, with the accompanying picture, anyone else besides Pat Garvey (who was there), know anything about the existence or validity of this car and/or story. As I remember it, this was the original color the car was painted. Car did not have a VIN 'cause it was built from parts. Aside from the un-cataloged color, the car was more-or-less finished off very much like a factory production car.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 10 2007, 03:32 PM) *

In 1979, I attended the 25th PCA Parade in Reston, Virginia. At this Parade, there was a green 914/6 that rumor had it was built (so help, it was said) from the parts book. Now we, I anyway, took this to mean that not every individual part # was sourced, but major sub-assemblies (i.e. /6 engine, transmission, hub assemblies, etc.). The most intriguing part of this story was that all the body components, including the bare tub, were sourced through the Porsche parts network. As I recall, this car was presented as an either '72 or '73 model /6! huh.gif

So, with the accompanying picture, anyone else besides Pat Garvey (who was there), know anything about the existence or validity of this car and/or story. As I remember it, this was the original color the car was painted. Car did not have a VIN 'cause it was built from parts. Aside from the un-cataloged color, the car was more-or-less finished off very much like a factory production car.

Paul

I remember the car! Note the drilled discs - unusual for 1979, though not unheard of. I'm wracking my brain to try to remember the owner!
Pat
davep
Did either of you get and keep the Parade binder? They usually have a list of attendees. 911S calipers.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 10 2007, 08:31 PM) *

Did either of you get and keep the Parade binder? They usually have a list of attendees. 911S calipers.

So far I've only found my '74 Parade Book - wasn't a binder at that point. Know I have it -somewhere???!!

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he had an early 4 -cylinder 914 painted the same color & he was from northern Ohio. Name escapes me now, but I'll come up with it.

If it IS the same guy, the photo makes the car look better than it really was. Both cars were a sort of pea-soup green - non matallic. I do remember that the six was a no-VIN car & bult from Stoddard's parts bins.

Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 10 2007, 07:16 PM) *

the photo makes the car look better than it really was. Both cars were a sort of pea-soup green - non matallic. I do remember that the six was a no-VIN car & bult from Stoddard's parts bins.

Pat

Pat is correct about the color. "Subdued" would be a kind description of that shade of green. I think I remember someone telling me that shade of green came from the 356 color range.

Paul
orthobiz
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 10 2007, 11:40 PM) *

the photo makes the car look better than it really was. Both cars were a sort of pea-soup green - non matallic. I do remember that the six was a no-VIN car & bult from Stoddard's parts bins.

Pat

Pat is correct about the color. "Subdued" would be a kind description of that shade of green. I think I remember someone telling me that shade of green came from the 356 color range.

Paul

Was it "gan-green?"

Paul
davep
Without a VIN, how did it get on the street? Kit-car? The numbers stamped into the fender and rear trunk should be very interesting.
Twise
My father remembers no such animal. As far as six cylinder conversions at Stoddard, my father remembers his (of course), Larry Morris and of course Stoddards. Then there was a GT, flares and all for a customer in Texas. Sorry for the lack of help, but thats the word from the old man.

My car is nearing completion - I hope to share photos soon...
davep
Thanks Trever. I had asked Trever to find out what his father might remember. For those that do not know, this is what Trever said of his father in another thread:
>His name is Chuck Wise, and he was the manager of the body shop at Stoddard Imported Cars in Ohio from 1970 to 1980.<

So, if Chuck does not remember it, then it probably was not an in-house job.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 12 2007, 01:10 PM) *

Thanks Trever. I had asked Trever to find out what his father might remember. For those that do not know, this is what Trever said of his father in another thread:
>His name is Chuck Wise, and he was the manager of the body shop at Stoddard Imported Cars in Ohio from 1970 to 1980.<

So, if Chuck does not remember it, then it probably was not an in-house job.

Could be, could be. But was it one of those urban legends? I'd know the guys name instantly & there are 2 of us that remeber the car.

Also, I'm surprised Trevor's pop didn't remember pooching the rear fenders of Earl Roe's car. Earl & Chuck Stoddard were thick during the 70's. And, someone did the exact same number on Earl's rear fenders that had been done to Chuck's. Not your typical ball bat thing either.

BTW, Earl Roe was the PCA National auditor for many years.

Mystery still unsolved......
Pat
davep
So you haven't found the 79 parade book yet?
Sounds like that will be most useful. We may have to put the call out.
Also need to find more oldtimers from Ohio that may know something.

So how about other special cars. Chuck Stoddard's, Earl Roe's, others?
orthobiz

The most intriguing part of this story was that all the body components, including the bare tub, were sourced through the Porsche parts.

Paul

Just a bit off topic...
A buddy of mine is having his E-type convertible redone. He tells me that you can build an entire Jaguar XKE from parts. Apparently the companies involved with making the body, chassis, whatever, are still around.

I wonder if this is true, especially with us scrounging around for various seals and other NLA parts!

Paul
Bleyseng
Bare tubs were available from Porsche at one time but I doubt in 1979. If they had a bunch of extra tubs laying around my bet is they would have produced my 1976 cars as they built as many cars as they had completed tubs. The tubs were produced in 1975 and the Karmann line shut down, cars were then assembled.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 14 2007, 09:52 AM) *

Bare tubs were available from Porsche at one time but I doubt in 1979. If they had a bunch of extra tubs laying around my bet is they would have produced my 1976 cars as they built as many cars as they had completed tubs. The tubs were produced in 1975 and the Karmann line shut down, cars were then assembled.

The car in question was "supposedy" produced much earlier than '79. As I recall, 75 or 74. Assuming this is not an urban legend (and it MAY very well be), Larry Morris would the all-knowing person.

I suspect it IS an urban legend, though the Stoddard house would probably have the one to build this car, even from an existing chassis.

I wish I could remember his name! All I need is a hint. You don't forget matching 4 & six 914's painted to look like pea soup. Damned nice cars too.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Just recently got off the phone with the folks at Stoddard's. Two of the fine folks that I talked to have been there a very long time. The "newbie" started in 1980, the other guy predates him. They both told me that they (Stoddard), using power tools, "stretched" fenders on around 12 914/6s, to facilitate the installation of larger Fuchs alloys, most often the 16" that were introduced when the 930 Turbo arrived. (Is that what's on our pea-green urban legend car idea.gif -I can't tell).

As to Chuck Stoddard's 914/6.....they report that the car is still in Chuck's "stable".
It has the "stretched" fenders.

Stoddard also tells me that Earl Roe's 914 got the same fender treatment as Chuck's /6 AND that Earl was at one time an employee of Stoddard's (in accounting).

The body shop folks do not recall an un-numbered, built from parts 914. I DO recall that when I looked at our "urban legend" in 1979, I was told that it had been built up from parts and remember looking on both the dashboard and the windshield post for a VIN plate, and there was none there. I didn't look elseware (door jamb, by the hinge post, front trunk).

So the mystery and whereabouts of this car continue.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 15 2007, 12:31 PM) *

Just recently got off the phone with the folks at Stoddard's. Two of the fine folks that I talked to have been there a very long time. The "newbie" started in 1980, the other guy predates him. They both told me that they (Stoddard), using power tools, "stretched" fenders on around 12 914/6s, to facilitate the installation of larger Fuchs alloys, most often the 16" that were introduced when the 930 Turbo arrived. (Is that what's on our pea-green urban legend car idea.gif -I can't tell).

As to Chuck Stoddard's 914/6.....they report that the car is still in Chuck's "stable".
It has the "stretched" fenders.

Stoddard also tells me that Earl Roe's 914 got the same fender treatment as Chuck's /6 AND that Earl was at one time an employee of Stoddard's (in accounting).

The body shop folks do not recall an un-numbered, built from parts 914. I DO recall that when I looked at our "urban legend" in 1979, I was told that it had been built up from parts and remember looking on both the dashboard and the windshield post for a VIN plate, and there was none there. I didn't look elseware (door jamb, by the hinge post, front trunk).

So the mystery and whereabouts of this car continue.

Paul

Paul,

Those are definitely the Stoddard "stretched" fenders - the rear fenders look even better. Stoddard & Roe DID have them.

Earl was Chucks CPA, not an employee (at least during the 70's). In fact, Earl's CPA firm handled PCA's books for many years. I would think that both of these guys have to be in thier 80's today (assuming both are still alive).

I think the only person who can settle this legend has to be Stoddard himself, or the mystery owner.
Pat
Pat Garvey

Paul

Paul,

You're a packrat - try looking back into early-mid 70's OVR Bent Pylons for the Oktoberfest issues (I threw all mine away couple of years ago). I'll bet this guy's listed in one or more of the CW events during that period, since his matching 914's were very nice.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 15 2007, 08:03 PM) *

You're a packrat - try looking back into early-mid 70's OVR Bent Pylons for the Oktoberfest issues (I threw all mine away couple of years ago). I'll bet this guy's listed in one or more of the CW events during that period, since his matching 914's were very nice.
Pat

All the regional newsletters had been consigned to the dumpster long ago. Only the PANOS, CHRISTOPHORUS AND R&Ts have avoided the recycle center.

Paul
Van914
Paul and Pat,
Mike Valentines' old Orange 914 had the Stoddard treatment as well. Rear fenders and a fast 2.8ltr. The car was painted silver by Beechmont and now is in Michigan as of this year. I forgot who bought it from Atlanta.
Van
davep
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 15 2007, 08:16 PM) *

All the regional newsletters had been consigned to the dumpster long ago.

Paul, contact the editor to find out who may have the archives.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 16 2007, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 15 2007, 08:16 PM) *

All the regional newsletters had been consigned to the dumpster long ago.

Paul, contact the editor to find out who may have the archives.

Ummm, Hate to say this, but I think I was the editor during that period (or else pres, vp, conc chmn, auto-x chmn - I don't remember anymore because I had so many positions). Gave up almost all of my archives to those that took over - you can only keep so much crap!

Still think that Chuck S is the answer here......
Pat

Hold on! There may be another source! I'll talk to Jon Lowe.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Found another photo of this unique 914. This time, we're looking at the way the rear fenders were stretched. During this period, I suppose I was given to "detail" pics, rather than portrait shots. I guess I wasn't thinking ahead almost thirty years for posterity..... blink.gif
Gustl
Paul, if this really is a 914, what is this line I pointed out with red arrows ???? confused24.gif

1970 Neun vierzehn
Wolfie,
After I posted that pic, I noticed that too! WTF.gif That line is too steep to be a 914 trunk lid cut isn't it?

Another "artsy" pic of this mystery car, this one is no help whatsoever in uncovering this car.....
Gustl
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 19 2007, 08:17 PM) *
That line is too steep to be a 914 trunk lid cut isn't it?

that's exactly what I'm wondering about idea.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 19 2007, 11:49 AM) *

Found another photo of this unique 914. This time, we're looking at the way the rear fenders were stretched. During this period, I suppose I was given to "detail" pics, rather than portrait shots. I guess I wasn't thinking ahead almost thirty years for posterity..... blink.gif

They guy in question had a paint match 911 (T as I recall). And, as my mind sinks back to that period I'm beginning to think he never had a four cylinder 914. Just a six & a 911, thought with matching paint to sample. Lotta years have gone by & I still haven't heard from Jon.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he had an early 4 -cylinder 914 painted the same color & he was from northern Ohio. Name escapes me now, but I'll come up with it.

These pics are not of a 911, lookit the rockers, although the cut line that Wolfie has pointed out has me baffled. confused24.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Two 914 rear quarters from 1979.

1st car....the mystery 914
2nd car...my 914 wearing old styled steelies. Note I'm missing my r. valence.
jonferns
never noticed that sharp cutoff...interesting
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Gustl @ Nov 19 2007, 10:49 AM) *

Paul, if this really is a 914, what is this line I pointed out with red arrows ???? confused24.gif

After contemplating that photographic anomaly, I think that I [i]may
have it figured out. Back in the '70s, I was using a Konica 35mm SLR. I used a number of different lenses predicated on the type of photograph I was after. The pic of the mystery green 914 was not taken with a wide-angle lense, but very likely my 45mm lense that might have slightly distorted the picture, since I took the shot at very close range. The yellow 914 photo, taken with the same camera, but with a longer lense from a distance, shows the natural angle of the rear deck cutline. The photo of the yellow car was enlarged, cropped and then posted just to compare that odd line that Wolfgang noticed to another 914s rear quarter. If you compare the rocker panel line intersection with the wheel center, not to mention the wheel opening curvature, the paint color, and lastly, take a look at a 911s rocker and rear bumper fitment and you'll see that this green rear quarter isn't anything except a 914.

Paul
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 19 2007, 04:58 PM) *

They guy in question had a paint match 911 (T as I recall). And, as my mind sinks back to that period I'm beginning to think he never had a four cylinder 914. Just a six & a 911, thought with matching paint to sample. Lotta years have gone by & I still haven't heard from Jon.
Pat

Pat, you're not thinking of Bob White from Chicago, with his two matching green 911s are you?

This green 914 in question had no visible VIN and I recall being told that it was built up from the Porsche parts bin. I have no recollection of who owned the car or where the owner resided or who had assembled the car in the first place. I checked all my other 1979 PCA Reston Parade photos and it shows nowhere else on film. Looking through the Pano coverage for that Parade doesn't give me any clues either. Maybe it's a track car now, or maybe it's not a survivor.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 20 2007, 12:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 19 2007, 04:58 PM) *

Pat

Pat, you're not thinking of Bob White from Chicago, with his two matching green 911s are you?

This green 914 in question had no visible VIN and I recall being told that it was built up from the Porsche parts bin. I have no recollection of who owned the car or where the owner resided or who had assembled the car in the first place. I checked all my other 1979 PCA Reston Parade photos and it shows nowhere else on film. Looking through the Pano coverage for that Parade doesn't give me any clues either. Maybe it's a track car now, or maybe it's not a survivor.

Paul

No, no, no! I'm very familiar with Bob's cars - totally different green. Nope, after searching my memory, I'm convinced the person in question had a six & 911 painted the same 356 color. No four cylinder 914 involved. Was the six built from parts bins? Dunno. Still haven't had a response from Jon Lowe either.

Pat

ps: Anyone notice that this thread had gotten a life of its own like the "rear foglight" thread. So, I guess at next years Parade we'll see a bunch of pea soup green 914's with rear fogs......or NOT!
Pat Garvey

Paul

I kid you not, the answer came to me last night coming out of deep sleep at around 3 am. Had to get up & write it down & then couldn't get back to sleep.

I am a sick puppy!

The name was Roland Titsworth!

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 2 2007, 07:17 PM) *

Paul

I kid you not, the answer came to me last night coming out of deep sleep at around 3 am. Had to get up & write it down & then couldn't get back to sleep.

I am a sick puppy!

The name was Roland Titsworth!

Pat

This is NOT a joke - that was his name. I can even picture his face after 30 years!

Someone settle this!
Beamer13
Rollin Titsworth??
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Dec 5 2007, 09:13 PM) *

Rollin Titsworth??

That's Roland! He's real, or once was.
Beamer13
Ah, I did a Google on Titsworth and Porsche and there was a Rollin Titsworth that was recognized at Eye on Design www.eyeson.org/pdf/eodprogram2005.pdf

Also a member of Southeast Michigan Porsche Club

Southeast Michigan Porsche Club of America (SEM/PCA)So it's time to offer our grand thanks to Dennis and Sue Denyer as well as Rollin and Maxine Titsworth for their service to our Southeast Michigan Porsche ...
www.sempca.org/clubnews/pres_msg/06-06.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
davep
Rollin Titsworth
1208 E. Maple Rd.
Troy, MI 48083

or possibly current and Born Oct 1926
ROLLIN L TITSWORTH
6392 ASPEN RIDGE BLVD
WEST BLOOMFIELD, MI 48322

I've sent an email to SEM PCA asking them to have Rollin contact me.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 6 2007, 09:09 AM) *

Rollin Titsworth
1208 E. Maple Rd.
Troy, MI 48083

ROLLIN L TITSWORTH
6392 ASPEN RIDGE BLVD

This is the guy! Forgot two things:
1.)It was Rollin, not Roland - and he went by Rol
2.)He was from SEM, not Northern Ohio

Yeah, he'd be about 80 by now because he was around 50 at the time & it was about 3- years ago.

Pat
davep
Any further news Pat?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 29 2007, 09:24 AM) *

Any further news Pat?

Sorry, have had some other things to addres - mainly a fire (small) caused by a flue failure in the fireplace, as well as a trip to Cincy to visit family the day after. Will be addressing the fire damage for a while, so this will be placed on the back burner (pun) for a couple of weeks. We have a very sooty mess to address right now.
Sorry.
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 2 2008, 08:55 PM) *

Sorry, have had some other things to addres - mainly a fire (small) caused by a flue failure in the fireplace, as well as a trip to Cincy to visit family the day after. Will be addressing the fire damage for a while, so this will be placed on the back burner (pun) for a couple of weeks. We have a very sooty mess to address right now.
Sorry.
Pat

What?! Santa Claus get stuck while delivering them new vintage correct tires?
Rusty
I bet Santa had a perfect, early rain-tray... but cracked it on the way down the chimney! biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 3 2008, 11:12 AM) *

I bet Santa had a perfect, early rain-tray... but cracked it on the way down the chimney! biggrin.gif

Oh, that is just plain wrong! But, judging from the soot collected on everything in the house, maybe Santa DID have those tires with him. But they burned up & are in & on everything!

BTW, I've officially given up on the rain tray! The only unmolested, uncracked one left in the world is owned by someone who won't sell it.

Now, the "proper" tires are still an open issue.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Still wondering about the provenance of this /6. Going through some photos of the 1978 Aspen Parade, I turned up what I believe is the same car that I first posted as seeing in 1979 at the Reston Parade. The current status of the car doesn't intrigue me as much as the myth (perhaps) of it being assembled from "parts".
Or maybe I'm dead horse.gif

Paul
davep
icon_bump.gif poke.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 25 2008, 09:00 PM) *

icon_bump.gif poke.gif

Sorry to all! I haven't followed through with this project. Mea Culpa!

I'll try to do better. Many things on my plate right now & little time to even come here. Wife will be retiring soon, big move anticipated, getting house ready to sell, dismembering my model railroad, getting 911 ready to sel....it goes on. If you're 30 or 40 this is not a big deal, but when you're over 60, thing move more slowly.

Not trying to make excuses.....well, yes I am. Doing the best I can, with what I have. I'll eventually have time to do something about this topic, but wouldn't have my feelings hurt if someone decided to help out.
Pat
ahblain
When I saw this carin the thread, I immediately remembered the car and the owner, Rollin Titsworth. Back in the 70's, I was quite active in SEM, as was Rolin. He and a freind, also with an equally interesting one off 914, would participate in the Waterford Hills driving events as well as many other events. And I remember them once telling me that they both bought the bodies and and parts in 1973, and had them assembled for them. Both cars were beautiful and very potent for the time - very trick. I haven't been a member of SEM since 1980 though, so I have lost touch. But this was NO urban legion.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 6 2007, 11:18 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Dec 6 2007, 09:09 AM) *

Rollin Titsworth
1208 E. Maple Rd.
Troy, MI 48083

ROLLIN L TITSWORTH
6392 ASPEN RIDGE BLVD

This is the guy! Forgot two things:
1.)It was Rollin, not Roland - and he went by Rol
2.)He was from SEM, not Northern Ohio

Yeah, he'd be about 80 by now because he was around 50 at the time & it was about 3- years ago.

Pat

1970 Neun vierzehn
First...... welcome.png

Second...Thank you very much for your first hand account of this car. Do you have any idea where it might be now?

Third...Do you have a 914, or are about to join the ranks shortly of proud and happy 914 owners?

Paul
davep
I have the phone # is someone wants to contact him. I'd do it myself, but I have never met him or seen the car. So if someone more familiar wants to make contact, I can help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.