Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Knox
I am working on installing an 87 Carrera 3.2 in my 1974. The engine is in, all the linkages are hooked up. But the electric just scares me to death. Everytime I look at it I freeze up and try to find something else to do.

I planned my conversion to keep the DME circuitry, so that's mounted in the rear trunk. I did it that way, because my 914 has Recaro seats, and I was wary of the clearances. I took out the 914 relay board. I got the Patrick Motorsports "Plug 'n Play" module, and I've studied Clay Perrine's wiring diagram.

Here's my questions:

The "Plug 'n Play" module has green and black wires at one end and red and white at the other. Which end goes to the chassis and which to the engine? Where do the green/black wires go? Where do the red/white wires go?

There are a myriad of other wires and connectors, where do they all go? headbang.gif

Is there any one in the Pacific Northwest or Ecotopia (California down to San Francisco) who can help me out? I can even arrange to bring the car by trailer to you if it would help.

I'd like to get this car done by WCC time so I can meet all of you. beer.gif

Here's a photo of my car:

Mike Knox
Heh, well that's NOT the car here it is:
Mike Knox
And here it is before the conversion started in front of my house:
(bad photo editing, but you get the idea) The car was originally Signal Orange.
I had it painted Cadillac Dark Cherry. Then because YPAF, I painted the engine bay with yellow POR-15.
John
I'm not familiar with the PMS harness adapter.

I am familiar with installing 3.2 engines.

I'm not on the Pacific Coast.

I see the starter wire (red with a loop connector), and a yellow wire (with a female spade connector) next to it is the solenoid wire.

Take some pictures of the harness adapter and both plugs, and it may make more sense.

Have you called PMS and had them support their product? It's supposed to be Plug-N-Play right?

I did mine with the help of the appropriate year 911 wiring diagram set and the 914 wiring diagrams. Wherever possible, I kept the Porsche wire color codes to help in future troubleshooting.
Mike Knox
Hi John!!
You wrote:

>I see the starter wire (red with a loop connector), and a yellow wire (with a female spade connector) next to it is the solenoid wire.
Okay, I know where they go!
>Take some pictures of the harness adapter and both plugs, and it may make more sense.
The car is in a shop about 40 miles from me. My next work day on the car is this Friday, so I'll take a picture and get it posted.
>Have you called PMS and had them support their product? It's supposed to be Plug-N-Play right?
I've been remiss in not calling them, I'll do that this morning. Thanks for the nudge. poke.gif
>I did mine with the help of the appropriate year 911 wiring diagram set and the 914 wiring diagrams. Wherever possible, I kept the Porsche wire color codes to help in future troubleshooting.
I've been studying the wiring diagrams in both the factory manuals, and the Bentley manual. Also Clay's diagram, and any other data I can get. Where did you find a supply of the color coded wire? confused24.gif

Thanks for the help!! beerchug.gif

Mike
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.