Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COOKIE WIERDNESS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm running winxp that looks like it was based on either an early build or an upgrade from NT. My windows folder is called WINNT. I've had the PC since Nov 2002 (new). I'm having a cookie problem here and can't find them. Where are they? Where is all the temporary internet crap? It's not in the usual (to me) places.

thanks in advance.
cnavarro
\documents and settings\**user name**\cookies

that's where they should be. if you have multiple users, there might be multiple directories.

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Drums66
I think hit Tools, then to internet options, temps & cookie settings right there!!
seanery
thanks Charles!
seanery
HMMM, this webpage won't remember still. Even after I cleared all the cookies.
seanery
Any ideas?

I've deleted all cookies again. And rebooted and deleted again. Still, I have to login every time. I know that's not a huge deal, but the notebook works correctly, so this one should as well. sad.gif
seanery
this is all I have for cookies. I can delete them and the result is the same.
vortrex
EDIT: ignore this post.
redshift
Sean, I think you got hit by a marketing 'wonky' program.

Something poooped up on my computer when I was dragged away from something I clicked on from google a few weeks ago, and it destroyed cookie handling, after the computer finally restarted. blink.gif ohmy.gif mad.gif

I protect myself (usually) by disabling ActiveX controls, I just made a boo boo, and missed something.

I tried it all, then reinstalled.

sad.gif

M
SirAndy
go to your internet settings,

control panel, internet options ...

the the privacy tab, make sure your settings are LOW enough to get the cookies set/read.
then, go to the security tab, click on the 4 icons and make sure each is set to "default level" ...

Andy
redshift
If it's the same problem I had (sounds that way) you will know, because that won't work, and if you ...

Hey wait seanery dood... do you have your XP setup to have restore points enabled?

If you do, go back a restore point at a time, until it works.

M
seanery
i don't restore, i'd have to think ahead to do that.
seanery
hmm, well, I've reset all security to default levels and even tweeked 'em lower just to check it out and still no go.

This computer has Spybot Search & Destroy and BHO Cop, Norton Anti-Virus. I don't think its anything like that, maybe I'm wrong.
Brad Roberts
I havent had any problems. I'm running almost exactly what you are running (Spybot/Norton)

When was the last time you pulled any updates from MickeySoft ??

B
seanery
probably a long time ago. I've been using the notebook and hanging out upstairs, but I've done a lot of work down in the basement and I don't wanna go upstairs laugh.gif so I wanna get the desktop sussed out.
seanery
XP is current and still not right mad.gif
kafermeister
Go here...

tools>internet options>settings>view objects

...and look at the list of "downloaded program files". Start going through this stuff and look for things that you know don't belong. If you right-click>properties on the items, you can check the CodeBase URL to see if it's legitimate. Worst case here is that you delete everything and the proper stuff re-installs itself when necessary.

Also, go through ControlPanel>Add-Remove-Programs and look for stuff that doesn't have a size listed. It may be suspect. There will definately be stuff witout a size listed that is legitimate so you'll have to strain the nogin to determine what should be deleted and what shouldn't.

In addition to what I have listed above, I've pasted text below from a web page that has helped me alot. The spaces and carrage returns got screwed up when I pasted it but they weren't well defined to begin with. I deleted everything that I found in the text below and it really helped my system.

Rick

Additional folders found under C:\Program Files
Autoupdate ClipGenie
DownloadWare Flt
Grokster Lycos
MyWay Pop
RVP scbar
Srng ToPicks
webHancer

Additional entries found in "Add/Remove Programs":
AM Server
Batch Assistant
Clip Genie
Data Compiler
Grokster Grokster Ads Support
Indexing Function Lycos Side Search
MyWay Speed bar Pop
RVP ToPicks
SBM OS Search OS
ShopAtHome Select Agent TP HTTP
URL.IE APP Win32 BI Application
WebHancer Customer Corporation

Additional entries under "Startup" tab of MSConfig: ASTART POP
Autoupdater ToPicks Starter
DownloadWare WebHancer Agent
RVP SAHAgent
srng SearchEnhancement
CMESys UpdateGrokster
GStartup
MoronThrottle
OK, I've done all those things. I'm trying a new account to see if that fixes, or changes anything. sad.gif
kafermeister
It *still* says you're "logged in as:guest" when you open a new window?
MoronThrottle
I'm not logged in at all.
I have to login everytime I open IE.
MoronThrottle
If I leave this page and come back, I'm logged out, too. AND it doesn't remember that I've seen the other 40 posts in a thread.
kafermeister
Check this also. Tools>Internet Options>Privacy (tab) Click on Edit under the "Web Sites" heading.

I had this same happen to me once where I had hit the keyboard and set somethign that wouldn't allow mail.yahoo.com to store cookies on my system. I didn't get any helpful popup messages from Yahoo other than to tell me to use a security setting that allowed cookies. I found it here one day totally by accident.

Is there any evidence that a cookie is getting issued at all?
MoronThrottle
this is what i've got.
kafermeister
...so when you close your browser, the 914club cookie gets deleted, right? Hold on. There's a setting for this in IE but I can't find it right now.
kafermeister
...well, I think I found it. According to This Link, It's possible that when Tools>Internet Options>Privacy (tab) is set at "Low" can in some circumstances, delete cookies when you close Internet Explorer. Did you set the privacy settings to default also, or just security settings?

(edit)
There is actually more than one setting that will delete cookies when IE closes. This is just the first one that I saw.
(/edit)
MoronThrottle
the cookies stay, not deleted. I've gone through just about everything.

hmmm, maybe it's time for an FDisk. huh.gif
kafermeister
hmmmm. Just by the sound of it, I had thought they were getting deleted. Let me think of this some more.

R
redshift
QUOTE(MoronThrottle @ Jan 2 2004, 10:52 AM)
the cookies stay, not deleted. I've gone through just about everything.

hmmm, maybe it's time for an FDisk. huh.gif

F-it! Never miss a chance to F-it.

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.