Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tergal 914-6 GT - a clone for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
About 2 weeks ago I was offered a "914-6 GT". Well, I know that I can't afford a geniune GT, but I was interested and asked for more infos.
This is what I've got:

It's a clone of the well known Tergal 914-6 GT, that raced the '71 Monte Carlo.
The base car was a 1972 914 1.7 Liter which got a 2.4 Liter 911 T engine and the break system of a 911 RS installed.

The car is located in Spain, Europe ... asking price is EUR 45,000 (currently about US$ 65,500)

here are some photos:
Gustl
interior shot
Gustl
here's a historic photo of the original car
Gustl
the original car is located in spain too

this is how it looks today ...

Eric_Shea
A bit too much...

Wasn't there some controversy over the build date on the original car? Seems to me that article had a steering column ignition shown etc. confused24.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 17 2007, 09:40 PM) *
Wasn't there some controversy over the build date on the original car? Seems to me that article had a steering column ignition shown etc. confused24.gif

the original car has a 914.0.43.xxxx VIN - but it's very likely that sometimes it got a wrong (late) steering column. It's not clear if this was a result of a repair during it's race life - or a mistake during the restoration ...

the clone car has a 47.2.29.xxxxx VIN
jonferns
where in spain? -JON
Gustl
E-17230 Palamos

I've no idea where exactly in Spain this is confused24.gif
thesey914
It's a nice looking car, do you think the €45/$65/£30k price is a good one? How accurate is the replication of a GT?
I'd have to re-route the oil-cooler hoses better than running through the cabin along the passenger long.
nsr-jamie
That car is awesome!! But seems like a lot of money for a non original 914-6. Still it would probably cost that much to restore and build your 4 cylinder 914 into something as beautiful as that car.
Gustl
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 18 2007, 11:45 AM) *
It's a nice looking car, do you think the €45/$65/£30k price is a good one? How accurate is the replication of a GT?

I don't know much more about this one, can't say how accurate the clone is done.
I have my doubts that this car has really expensive GT-parts on it - but this is just my opinion, I don't know it.

I don't want to offend anybody, but in my eyes it's nonsens to invest that much money in a conversion and then try to sell it. If he would keep it for his pleasure/enjoyment, that would be another piont. But a conversion will always be a conversion - hardly anybody will spend that much money for a non-original car.
It would be another thing if the car is a real /6 ...

just my 2 cent

anyhow - I like the paint sceme of the car, it's really good looking

bye1.gif Gustl
thesey914
Agreed Gustl, It would need a lot of 'factory parts' fitted to command this price. But don't forget the 916 started as a humble 47#### chassis number
-so you're not going to buy it? wink.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Nov 18 2007, 12:10 AM) *
where in spain? -JON

played a little with the routing program ...

Gustl
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 18 2007, 01:40 PM) *
-so you're not going to buy it? wink.gif

no way laugh.gif
davep
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 18 2007, 04:40 AM) *

But don't forget the 916 started as a humble 47#### chassis number

I disagree James. The 916 has its own series of VIN's, and the body numbers are very late 1971 914/6, perhaps the last from that production run. There is nothing there to suggest 914/4 involvement.

9142330011 1310433
9142330012 1310437
Eric_Shea
I don't want to offend anybody, but in my eyes it's nonsens to invest that much money in a conversion and then try to sell it.

agree.gif While I would stand a chance at being offended because I'm attempting to replicate (as close as possible on a 74 chassis) a GT. If I were to ever sell it, the price would be in reality land with the rest of the standard 914-4/6 conversions out there... and that's nowhere near $65k. wink.gif

That car is over priced.
thesey914
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 18 2007, 02:38 PM) *

The 916 has its own series of VIN's, and the body numbers are very late 1971 914/6...

You'll know more than me, I thought George Hussy wrote about his 916 in an old catalogue that he thought, or found evidence, that the factory pulled a 914 chassis off the track for these prototypes rather than use a 914-6 chassis.
Gustl
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 18 2007, 06:11 PM) *
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 18 2007, 02:38 PM) *
The 916 has its own series of VIN's, and the body numbers are very late 1971 914/6...

You'll know more than me, I thought George Hussy wrote about his 916 in an old catalogue that he thought, or found evidence, that the factory pulled a 914 chassis off the track for these prototypes rather than use a 914-6 chassis.

I know George told us this story on this board, but there's no proof yet ...

confused24.gif Gustl
davep
Yes, I read that years ago as well. I even asked, on this site, what evidence he found that led him to that supposition. I don't recall an answer at that time.

However as I showed above, they do have 914/6 series body numbers, and very late 1971 series at that. We know that the 914/6 was substantially revised for 1972 with many more 914/4 features. The body numbers for 1972 MY were in the 132xxxx series. So as far as I am concerned the 916 got true 914/6 bodies. Now it is possible that some parts of those bodies had to be sourced from the 914/4 parts bins and reworked to use on the 914/6 bodies.
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 18 2007, 10:17 AM) *

Yes, I read that years ago as well. I even asked, on this site, what evidence he found that led him to that supposition. I don't recall an answer at that time.

yes, he did answer that question.

the car had originally /4 engine mounts that were removed when the chassis was used to make the 916 ...
shades.gif Andy
thesey914
I just went up in to the loft to find the old AA catalogue with the 916 article. The 916 didn't have a 47##### chassis number. George said his had a 914 chassis number but he discovered a VW paint code for white, as used in the Karmann factory, rather than the '1110' code used for white on cars from Stuttgart. He also mentioned the six engine mount had been welded poorly with a torch rather than spot welded and the oil tank holes and mounts had been lashed up similarly. He believed the chassis was a 1971 four cylinder pulled from the Karmann line rather that use a good 914-6 for what was a prototype
Gustl
I can't tell you something about the other details, but I know of the colour code L80E. I've seen it with my own eyes at 914.2.33.0018 - and a friend told me that some other 916 show the same code.

bye1.gif Gustl
Eric_Shea
Weird flares too... I'd bet they're glass.
thesey914
Yes the fronts look strange, not blended.
davep
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 19 2007, 02:28 AM) *

George said his had a 914 chassis number but he discovered a VW paint code for white, as used in the Karmann factory, rather than the '1110' code used for white on cars from Stuttgart.

From VIN 9141430400, approximately, all the 914/6 used the VW paint code, so I would expect that the 916 would have the VW code as well. If they were originally painted white by Karmann, that is not a problem. I guess the big question is, does the Karmann badge show the body # as well as the paint code?
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 19 2007, 02:44 PM) *
I guess the big question is, does the Karmann badge show the body # as well as the paint code?

as for #0018 - NO
davep
All 914/4 Karmann badges AFAIK show the body # typical for that series.
No 914/6 Karmann badges AFAIK show the body #.
Therefore I conclude that the 916 got 914/6 series body shells.
Whether the 916 got fenders with the flares built in, I don't know. I do understand that new dies were made with the flare as part of the fender.
With the steel roof, I don't know if this was added during body assembly or later as a modification of the body. Too little is known of this process.
Gustl
as from my knowledge, the 916 were built as prototype cars at the Porsche racing division, not at the standard 914-6 production line
I guess these guys didn't care of a correct Karmann badge ...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 19 2007, 05:35 AM) *

Weird flares too... I'd bet they're glass.

And wheels that sure look like Fachs.

And bizarre rubber lipped windshield seal up top (not a bad idea) with what looks like the stock lower trim piece painted flat black. Plus, non-GT-style rear bumper, "wrong" tires, lots 'o interior faux pas, etc.

Now, if the guy (and/or whoever buys the car) likes all these things, that's cool. But $65,000?!?

huh.gif

pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.