Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinishing heater parts- what paint is good?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I'm in the middle of backdating my exhaust system and just stripped and cleaned up all the tubes that connect to the heat exchangers (stripped, removed rust etc) and now need to know what to paint them with so that they don't rust again. I was just thinking of POR15'ing them, but not sure if the stuff will hold up to the heat. I'd also like to coat the insides of the tubes with something too to keep them rusting out from the inside, although with all of that heat it's probably unlikely.

I am assuming any kind of spray paint and maybe Por15 won't be able to hold up to the heat. Would the stuff that peope use to repaint their mufflers work? I can't afford to powder coating route and am just looking for a cheap way to ensure they don't start rusting.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Brando
High-temp ceramic coat. They won't get as hot as the exhaust themselves, but they'll get warm enough. If you sand blast them the paint will adhere very well. I did this when backdating my exhaust (thank you SLITS for letting me use your cabinet!) and it's been over a year and a half - no rust protruding and they still look good black.
clarkcou
I painted my 911 heat exchangers with hi-temp paint, but the sheet metal surround never got hot enough to properly cure the paint. I would use enamel on the heat shrouds, and hi-temp on the exhaust pipes themselves.

Any one ever try POR15 on the muffler or pipes?

Randy
rjames
I painted my 911 heat exchangers with hi-temp paint, but the sheet metal surround never got hot enough to properly cure the paint. I would use enamel on the heat shrouds, and hi-temp on the exhaust pipes themselves.

Not worried about the exchangers themselves as they are stainless steel. I'm only worried about the bits that connect the exhangers to the rest of the heating system.

High-temp ceramic coat.

Brando, something like this?

http://productsearch.machinedesign.com/Fea...fromSpotlight=1
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 18 2007, 06:47 PM) *

Not worried about the exchangers themselves as they are stainless steel. I'm only worried about the bits that connect the exhangers to the rest of the heating system.

High-temp ceramic coat.

Brando, something like this?

http://productsearch.machinedesign.com/Fea...fromSpotlight=1

Over 30 years ago, I had mine blasted with walnut shells, prep'd & primed them immediately & rattle-canned them with Rustoleum satin black high temp. They look the same today (very nice), but then, my 914 doesn't see the elements.

Still, worked for me!
Pat
Eric_Shea
FACTORY MANIFOLD GRAY™ is a high temp gray paint capable of withstanding extreme temperatures up to 1400° F. This high temp paint will maintain a durable iron gray color and won't burn off. Can be used on all cars, domestic or foreign, and it meets or exceeds properties and requirements of MIL-C-13370.

http://www.imperialrestoration.com/products.php?category=4

Love this stuff. It's on every piece of exhaust I have, on the 911 and the 914. It does not burn or change colors. Awesome.
Gint
How do you apply it Eric? I didn't see a spray bomb option.
Eric_Shea
Troy, of course. biggrin.gif

You've got to squirt it. Thin with lacquer thinner. One of the tiny cans does the headers/heat exchangers and the muffler.

I took brand new headers, sand blasted them (because the new paint sucked) and applied this.
Bartlett 914
I have been using rust bullet instead of POR 15. This is a gray material. I used it on the flappers and J_tubes. I discolored but did not burn off. A higher temperature paint would have been better.
Brando
I just used the high-temp stuff you can get at Kragen in a myriad of colors.
rjames
Thanks for all the suggestions, I may go with Pat's because I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible. :-)

Over 30 years ago, I had mine blasted with walnut shells, prep'd & primed them immediately & rattle-canned them with Rustoleum satin black high temp. They look the same today (very nice), but then, my 914 doesn't see the elements.

Still, worked for me!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.