Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions Needed!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beamer13
Alright, I am at a crossroads! I just purchased a '74 2.0. This car had a little run in with a welder, a fuel line, some flames, and some foam from the friendly neighborhood fire department. headbang.gif This car was fuel injected with the Djet ( i believe??) You see the fire was contained to the battery side of the vehicle. Minimal damage. One of the biggest problems is the fact that the fuel injection control box was completely melted!! What I want to know is opinions on whether I should stay fuel injected and try to find the right controller (can't see any numbers on it) or if I should convert to carbs???
The biggest problem I am finding so far is finding the controller and the wiring harnes as they were both completely melted. I did find a parts car that I bought and will use some of the parts but unfortunately it doesn't have either of those parts!
Any help that you all could give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
rd
hwgunner
I would say stay FI if you can. Especially if it is just a fun car. It might cost a little more but i think it will be more reliable/drivable. My .02 drunk.gif
Dr. Roger
i might even have my old FI box on a shelf somewhere down there.
maybe it's time to do a good deed.
lemme know if you want it.
mine is a '74.
jasons
I would stay with the FI, especially on a 73 or 74 2.0. Your car will be worth more, and when its set up correctly, it works amazingly well.

I would only put carbs on a motor built to have carbs.

BTW you can figure out what ECU you need by what MPS you have. But, I would start with the assumption your stuff is 1974. Check out Brad Anders site(see below). Lotsa good info for you there. And post a WTB here, someone has what you need for sure.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
Joe Ricard
Just about everyone has an EFI brain on a shelf. All that is required is a bit of effort on your part.

Seems some are offering them up already.

EFI is good keep it.

I just gave away both my D-jet brains to a guy that wanted to go back to stock.

I have slide down the slippery slope of race motors and CARBS.
Beamer13
Thanks everyone for your advise!! I appreciate all the help! I obviously found the right forum to join right away. Hopefully you will all be patient with me as I dive into my "new" toy!! Any other advise would be greatly appreciated!!
Beamer13
PM'd you Dr. Roger. Also posted some pics of the pre and post fire abomination under the picture pages.
Beamer13
Ok, so as some of you know, I have been informed that I was misinformed as to the size of my engine. It is actually a 74 1.8 with an engine code of EC (california). Car is just full of surprises!!!
dinomium
IMHO, that dress DOES make you look fat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.