Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some special /6 engine tools, can ya help me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Hello all, my /6 has developed a problem that is going to require that I remove the cams and thus will need to re-time them. As such, I am in need of a few special tools that may help me get this done.
-The Z block to hold the micrometer
-Maybe the micrometer - I have one, I need to see if it will work for this
-Mechanical chain tensioner

I have the 46m crow foot and the funky socket. Anyone wanna lend me these other special pieces? biggrin.gif
root
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 19 2007, 01:17 AM) *

Hello all, my /6 has developed a problem that is going to require that I remove the cams and thus will need to re-time them. As such, I am in need of a few special tools that may help me get this done.
-The Z block to hold the micrometer
-Maybe the micrometer - I have one, I need to see if it will work for this
-Mechanical chain tensioner

I have the 46m crow foot and the funky socket. Anyone wanna lend me these other special pieces? biggrin.gif

I've been around for along time, seen alot of different tools.... but I don't think I've ever seen a Z block before. What's it look like?

Here's a V block set...Click to view attachment
davep
I think I have the mechanical tensioner.
type47
there are some guys who probably have the tools you need to borrow in the baltimore and dc areas but you'd need to post on the boards they frequent. i would recommend dorkiphus.net for guys in the dc area, there are alot of diy mechanics that post on that board. the baltimore guys, i don't really know what board they go to but i'd start with the chesapeake pca site then go from there. a nice guy named manny alban has a concours 914 who i'd bet would help out. dennis howard is another 911 guy who probably has contacts.
VaccaRabite
Also, you might want to call that guy we got my parts tranny from. He might have the tools you need just down the road in Glen Rock PA.

Zach
IronHillRestorations
I have the Z block, PM me an address.
root
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 19 2007, 08:05 AM) *

I have the Z block, PM me an address.

What's a Z block? confused24.gif
thesey914
SIR tools make this gauge holder 'Z block' .to keep the indicator in correct position when timing the cams

IPB Image
root
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Nov 19 2007, 10:22 AM) *

SIR tools make this gauge holder 'Z block' .to keep the indicator in correct position when timing the cams

IPB Image

Oh! Why not just use a universal base dial holder?

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
You have to measure the valve lift on #1 and #4 intake valve. You could probably find something to put a magnetic holder, but since there's not much ferrous metal on a 911 engine, it's easier to use the Z block. The "Z" block is really more like a L with a tab at the top.
Dr Evil
Root, the Z block bolts to a head stud and holds the mic in place. I dont think the universal one would even work due to there being a shortage of ferrous metal surfaces for the magnet to stick to. Perry and Dave, PM coming and thanks!
root
Suit yourself!

I obviously enjoy doing things the HARD WAY! whack_3.gif
sww914
My magnetic base like that just happened to have 8mm threads on the rod going into the magnetic base. I removed a valve cover stud and screwed the whole mess right into the cam tower. It was awkward getting the dial indicator into the right place, but it worked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.