Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How big of a tire can a GT flare support?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
15 x 10 wheel and a 22 x 9.5 x 15 Hoosier slick PERIOD no bigger

I got my new wheels for the rear in Saturday. Diamond Racing made me a custom set in 6 days with shipping. Backspace is 5.75" and that's all that matters. 19 lbs and $295.00 for the pair shipped.

Joe Ricard
inside
Joe Ricard
ain't this sexy...............
URY914
What does the wheel and tire weight together?

Joe Ricard
tire is 15
wheel is 19
McMark
That is TIGHT! Both in the teenage dialect, as well as in the classic definition. wink.gif

How's your inside clearance?
nocones
Dang. Looks nice.

I know you're an observant fellow, but just a caution...
I've seen the center of one of these wheels tear out after two seasons on an autoX car. Made for a pretty spectacular off-course excursion. Just keep an eye on them.
jhadler
Hey Joe,

I'm curious to hear how close the inner wheel well clearance is. The slick size you mention 22x9.5-15 has a listed section width of 10.7" on a 10" rim. Does that agree with what you can measure? If so, then there's hope that the new 275/35-15 radials MIGHT fit under off-the-shelf GT flares.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Right now I am worried about ripping the suspension consoles off the car. Cage and ear re-inforcements are in the works.
This is my 2nd set of these wheels and they are pretty dang tough.
I watched the NASCAR race when Kenseth broke out the center of an AERO wheel. Shit happens.
Krieger
Your immediate concern should be that rusty old scissors lift next to your car. chair.gif
Joe Ricard
That rusty old scissor lift works like a champ to even lift my my heavy ass truck.

Josh I am glad to see I am not the only one thinking ahead.
I now know exactly what size Kiezer to have made However I am torn between these tires out back and Goodyear R250 Cantilevers up front on 8" wheels.
The A6 Ho's are 35 aspect ratio so should be a bit lower profile side wall. Have you tried to find a used set of 275/35-15 Hoosiers. I just want to do a test fit. Near impossible.
jhadler
Joe,

There are a number of people here in my region running the monster Hoosiers. I doubt it's worth the shipping costs to send you a used one though. But yes, at some point, I'll get a hold of one for fitment purposes.

Ask around to see if any autoxers in your area are running those tahrs.

-Josh2
jaybird840
Well, it looks like the race is on!! Although mine is strictly a street ride, I'm working on stuffing 285/30/18's under stock GT flares on 18x10's in the rear. The 18x8.5's fit like a glove on my 5 lug SC suspension up front with a 1" spacer. I could push them to 1.5" spacers if I wanted to fill out the wells completely. Eric Shea has just built me a set of new five lug trailing arms with 100mm studs to work with the high offset wheels. I'm looking at 42mm of spacers in the rear. The tires clear the trailing arms, but I'll have to see how much room is left on the inner fender wells. I may end up going down to 265/35's to ensure good clearance (and much cheaper, too!). I have been curious about "massaging" the inside of the rear fender wells to address any clearance issues. If the suspension points were supported, would it be possible to "stretch" the inner fender wells a-la John's video?

--Jaybird
chris914
How are your flares held on and did you have to build out the body?

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 19 2007, 03:51 AM) *

ain't this sexy...............

Joe Ricard
Fiberglass GT flares are held on with large head pop rivets and medium strength RTV adhesive. No massaging of the structure but I did cut off the entire lip and ground it smooth. there is a roundish edge lip left over from the mold as it formed the corner so it gives me a bit more strength.
crash914
I would worry about sidewall flex....
Joe Ricard
Shouldn't be too much as this is the size rim that the tire was designed for.
and if it rubs well I olny got 2 Diamond rims made not Like I bought a full set of CCW's
boostedte37
That lookes nasty aktion035.gif
chris914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 20 2007, 03:54 AM) *

Fiberglass GT flares are held on with large head pop rivets and medium strength RTV adhesive. No massaging of the structure but I did cut off the entire lip and ground it smooth. there is a roundish edge lip left over from the mold as it formed the corner so it gives me a bit more strength.

Do you have any pictures of installation?
Joe Ricard
2 years ago I did a thread on it.

There are pics on my home puter.
Basically measure mark cut drill pop.
Aaron Cox
tell me more about your afco? rear shocks....

inverted?

interesting mount bolt.

Mo pics!
flesburg
We use 245-45 16s on our DE car. We cannot go wider in the front.

We have had 255-45 16s on the rear, but prefer to be able to rotate our DE tires. I think we might be able to get a 275-45 18 in the rear, but have not tried it. May barrow a set of wheels and tires from a 944 buddy just to try them. Our rears wear out first, and if we watch them close (and do not flatten them by sliding sideways) we get an extra track event or two out of a set.
woobn8r
A 245 should be around 9.6" wide, a 255 about 10.2" wide, and a 275 measures in around 10.7"...give or take a 10th depending on the tire and manufacturer.

S.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.