Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nissan V6 Twin Turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
outpost962
Hi fellows,

Newbie here smile.gif

This is a great site. Congrats to all those who maintain and contribute.

Has anyone here installed or done the measurement/fit calculations on

installing the Nissan VG30DETT Twin Turbo motor in the 914? I've done

some preliminary budget work. Now I'm down to the engineering.

Any and all help will be appreciated.
BMXerror
I can't offer any engineering advice, but I will say kudos for trying something different. I was thinking of doing the same sort of thing with a Mitsubishi twin turbo V6. Don't let yourself get shouted down by the 'put a Chevy' or 'put a Suby' or 'keep it Porsche' guys. I'm anxious to see how this turns out.
Mark D.
TravisNeff
Not that I have heard, but there was someone who put a nissan 300ZX v6 engine in their 914. You can get the adapter for the transmission at kennedyeng.com
outpost962
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Nov 20 2007, 10:29 AM) *

Not that I have heard, but there was someone who put a nissan 300ZX v6 engine in their 914. You can get the adapter for the transmission at kennedyeng.com

I'm in touch with Kenndyeng. Would'nt do a project with them. They're great folks to talk with as well. Got nice info from them. thanx smile.gif
outpost962
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Nov 20 2007, 10:13 AM) *

I can't offer any engineering advice, but I will say kudos for trying something different. I was thinking of doing the same sort of thing with a Mitsubishi twin turbo V6. Don't let yourself get shouted down by the 'put a Chevy' or 'put a Suby' or 'keep it Porsche' guys. I'm anxious to see how this turns out.
Mark D.

Thanks Mark
The Nissan ttV6 is a little lighter and less expensive than than the V-8. A healthy Nissan ttV6 can deliver 400+hp with mild tuning. If this works out I'll give a blow by blow build up page Thanx.
dlo914
Here's where i picked up my JDM Toyota 4AGE 16v motor for $395 out the door w/ 180lbs psi/cylinder. http://enginelandusa.com/nissan.htm
neo914-6
QUOTE(outpost962 @ Nov 20 2007, 10:06 AM) *

Hi fellows,

Newbie here smile.gif

This is a great site. Congrats to all those who maintain and contribute.

Has anyone here installed or done the measurement/fit calculations on

installing the Nissan VG30DETT Twin Turbo motor in the 914? I've done

some preliminary budget work. Now I'm down to the engineering.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Look at my non-OEM conversion link, one member installed a non-turbo V6. I've heard of another but the owner had sold it. Search "nissan" on this site.

Be prepared to pad your budget, these are always more time and $ consuming than planned. I should know...

Wes V
You have to think about more than just the engine!!

From what I've been able to figure out, a 901 transmission will not hold up to a twin turbo V6.

If you step up to a 915 transmission, you will have to "flip" the ring gear and then buy one of the Wevo shift kits. The Wevo kit is $2000 alone. Even then, a lot of people state that the shifting isn't that good.

I personally like what Neo914-6 is doing. He is using an Audi twin turbo V6 and a porsche boxster transmission (they bolt together without an adapter). The boxster transmission is the same as the Audi "012" transmission used in the Passat (read Audi as not costing as much as Porsche).

As with all swaps, there are a lot of things to "fiddle" with. Using the boxster transmission means that you have to convert to a cable shifter. You have also got to come up with a solution for the axles (and I think Neo is just now getting that figured out).

Wes V
orange914
QUOTE(Wes V @ Nov 20 2007, 01:41 PM) *

You have to think about more than just the engine!!

From what I've been able to figure out, a 901 transmission will not hold up to a twin turbo V6.

Wes V

why not use the engine AND trans? you probably wouldnt be in for anymore work than adapting up a tranny you need to upgrade anyway. my son has a 95 maxima 5sp w/ 3.0 dual overhead (i believe same engine family). i've always thought that would be a good doner... 200 stock/reliable fuel injected h.p. that would probably get 40 m.p.g. (right now gets 30 freeway mpg in that heavy boat.)
mike
welcome.png
Wes V
The reason for having to change the transmission when using the Audi ttV6 is that ALL of them came with four wheel drive! It's that simple.

Wes
orange914
QUOTE(Wes V @ Nov 20 2007, 02:39 PM) *

The reason for having to change the transmission when using the Audi ttV6 is that ALL of them came with four wheel drive! It's that simple.

Wes

i was refering to the nissan twin turbo v-6 in the first post.
although anything is possible with enough work
beerchug.gif
Wes V
Orange914;

For the sake of discussion (in other words, I don't want to start a heated arguement); What matching engine and transmission are you talking about?

If we are talking about a Nissan V6 then there are pretty much just two configurations.

One is with the engine mounted "transverse" in the chassis and is front wheel drive. If you wanted to use this combination in a 914 (in the rear), then the engine would still sit transverse in the chassis. I don't think any of the Nissan turbo motors came this way.

In the 350Z, the engine mounts longtudinally (which is good), but the attached transmission is for "front engine / rear wheel drive". You couldn't mount this configuration in the rear of a 914.

There are similar (but slightly different) issues with the Audi TTV6, and that's why you need to mix and match engine / transmission combinations.

Wes Vann

Scott Carlberg
Years ago (before this site existed) Steve Malm down in SoCal put a nissan v6 in his 914, though I think it was from a 280z, I *think*.

Chris in Las Vegas put a 3.0 v6 from a nissan maxima in his 914.

You should stay with a German powerplant though! poke.gif
jaminM3
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Nov 21 2007, 11:06 AM) *

Years ago (before this site existed) Steve Malm down in SoCal put a nissan v6 in his 914, though I think it was from a 280z, I *think*.

Isn't a 280Z a straight six? confused24.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Nov 21 2007, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Nov 21 2007, 11:06 AM) *

Isn't a 280Z a straight six? confused24.gif

Yup! But yeah do whatever powerplant ya want, it's your car! The more unique the better i always say! Hell my next 914 will definitely not be powered by a Type4, im gonna go w/ a Subaru EJ20T biggrin.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Wes V @ Nov 21 2007, 06:44 AM) *

Orange914;

For the sake of discussion (in other words, I don't want to start a heated arguement); What matching engine and transmission are you talking about?

Wes Vann

i was thinkin' the transverse dual overheat v-6 5 speed, a bit different but i think it would be kuool!
mike
XrayMed
I personally like to stay all porsche. But like the other guy said its your 914 you can do what ever you want. After all we are customizing them right.

My thoughts where to stay all porsche, much like chappy did with his. 911 twin turbo engine, 911 front suspention with 911 5 lug all the way around. That way its all still porsche but pretty heavly modifed. Those where my plans for my 914. From what I have read and researched doing it this way there is alot more direct bolt up (with the exception of twin turbo and the intercooler) and that means less time in the rebuild stage and more fun time on the road driving it.

The more you deviate from origninal (ie other parts not inteneded for 914) then the more mods and engineering to make it work right. I personally don't want to be engineering for months to get it to work right. This is just something you might want to think about.

Allot of the guys on here are doing the 911 conversion and then there is the V8 conversion these have all been tested and done and alot of parts to help to get you up and running rather fast.

Just some food for thought. No matter what you do. You have got to take pictures and show us. LOL!
outpost962
Thanks to everyone for advice ,info, and food for thought.
As with any project plenty of all of the above are needed before
and during the build. Special thanks to Neo 914-6 for the photo's
in your AUDI/914 build-up, they will be a great help in the future.
I'm going to build a small shop and begin collecting the major
parts and tools I need to begin in late spring early summer.
Any additional info and pictures will be greatly appreciated.
I will photograph every step as i go along.

THANKS

WHATS THE BEST YEAR 914 FOR THIS BUILD?
orange914
birthday3.gif
QUOTE(outpost962 @ Nov 26 2007, 06:46 PM) *

Thanks to everyone for advice ,info, and food for thought.

WHATS THE BEST YEAR 914 FOR THIS BUILD?

i dont know about the smog check requirements in your state but here in ca. the years smog check free (at least 4 now) are 75 and down. so i'd say 73, 74, and 75. 73 and up have the better shifting trans linkage (side shifter). but east coast and rust issues, i'd go w/ the most rust free one you can find. do a search on "hell hole", "longs" and rust in general or post asking us 4 pictures/info. on rust areas

welcome.png
mike
alpha434
Isn't the 350z a rear transmission car?

You could still use a rear configuration transmission. Easy. Just run a coupler instead of a long torque tube.

944s use a rear trans too. Same dealie.
jd74914
The package even with a coupler is probably too long though . . .
outpost962
[/b] The Porsche transmission(s) are the way to go. 901/915 the same stuff used in other transplants. This project is engine focused. I'll be using the VG30DETT from the 1990-96 300zx. Preliminary information says it's going to fit. cheer.gif
alpha434
Why a 915?
outpost962
As this project develops I will be increasing the horsepower. The stronger 915 tranny may be the way to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.