Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I saw an ad of a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSharp
I caught a link to an add for a car that was for sale. It had a really nice set-up on the carbs. The linkage is what I'm interested in. I need it to show how the linkage should work. I'd like to use it for the Carb Tech session we are having on the 1st of December.
Anybody see that add and can remember where it is?
GaroldShaffer
bye1.gif

I think you are talking about my race car engine? Here is one picture. I can take more pictures, jst tell me what you want to see.
JoeSharp
Way Kool Garold. If you can, a pic from the end of the throttle shaft lever.
Very well thought out linkage.
maf914
Gerold, very interesting.

How were the manifolds made? They look like a combination of stock FI runners at the heads and cast aluminum weber manifolds at the carb bases.

How does it run?
Katmanken
Wonder what the intake pulses from the opposing carbs and the common plenum do? Better or worse for pulse tuning?

More pics of the plenum and carbs from different views. Where is the intake for the plenum?

Ken
GaroldShaffer
Joe, here are some more pictures. Hope they help

How were the manifolds made? They look like a combination of stock FI runners at the heads and cast aluminum weber manifolds at the carb bases.

How does it run?

Honestly I don't know. smile.gif It was out of the car when I got it. I will know by spring time I hope.

GaroldShaffer
driving.gif
KaptKaos
Wow!
Root_Werks
That looks sweet!
jd74914
QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 21 2007, 08:52 PM) *

Wonder what the intake pulses from the opposing carbs and the common plenum do? Better or worse for pulse tuning?

More pics of the plenum and carbs from different views. Where is the intake for the plenum?

Ken

I think that the pulses would interfere with each other. I would also be worried about gas condensation in cold weather. For a race engine those runners are pretty long and have a huge bend in them; usually people want the lest restrictive path into the head.

It is a really interesting setup though, I'm just confused as to why it was done?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 26 2007, 05:15 PM) *

QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 21 2007, 08:52 PM) *

Ken

I think that the pulses would interfere with each other. I would also be worried about gas condensation in cold weather. For a race engine those runners are pretty long and have a huge bend in them; usually people want the lest restrictive path into the head.

It is a really interesting setup though, I'm just confused as to why it was done?

:word: agree.gif

seems like you just introduced a 'U turn" into the head.
remember the factory FI didnt have fuel going through the runner.... just aimed the injector at the back of the intake valve.

This seems like it would duplicate the problems of a single carb/long runner application...

neat idea, but why?
GaroldShaffer
I have no idea why they / he did it. I can't ask him since he has passed away, but from what I was told by some of his friends it worked great. Only time will tell. I plan to get in to it in Jan '08
JoeSharp
Yeah, it seems to me that the intake is rather long and that the air plenum could have had more room. But I liked the solution to the carb linkage.
At half throttle all the forces are tangent to arc of the levers on the linkage.
Thanks Garold.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 26 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Yeah, it seems to me that the intake is rather long and that the air plenum could have had more room. But I liked the solution to the carb linkage.
At half throttle all the forces are tangent to arc of the levers on the linkage.
Thanks Garold.

only at that one spot though.
I think every hex bar linkage hits that 'tangent to the arc' spot.

I think one advantage of the shown setup, is it has longer link arms to the carb shafts... giving you a bit more 'resolution' of throttle opening
KaptKaos
How would having the intake so close to the case affect the temperature of the air going in?
McMark
That is so cool. I've always thought about the side flow carbs. Nice to see someone tried it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 26 2007, 08:59 PM) *

That is so cool. I've always thought about the side flow carbs. Nice to see someone tried it.

agree.gif It's like the hemi cross ram, high RPM cruisin is where it lived and breathed. I wouldn't really care if it worked, it looks cool! aktion035.gif

sixnotfour
prob. not good for a cold morning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.