Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Ej25 NA Conversion Complete!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
Here it is finally done!! One 1998 Subaru Ej25 Naturatally aspirated($1300) in my 914. Stock Trans mounts. Stock shift bar. Stock engine front bar location mounts.(utilizing Small Car Performance Mounts for the Vanagon)($120) Kenedy Adaptor plate with Stage 2 clutch.($500) New head gaskets, Fresh machined heads (due to head gasket leak from used engine, now perfect!) Fits perfect, idles nice, Link ECU Programmable Computer Stand Alone G3 Version($1200). Renegade Radiator($995) up front (works very nice). For only 175hp this baby is fast! & much needed these days...32 mpg highway!! (I have two programs, one for 89 unleaded(economy) and one for 92-93 premium(performance 24 mpg))
budman5201
engine compartment (that one misc hose is not there anymore, it was the air recirculation plasic hose that runs to the front of the car)
budman5201
actual WRX expansion tank
budman5201
Patrick motorsports Exhaust Cans with Supertrap Adjustable Endcaps to keeps the neighbors happy (sound is lower)
budman5201
underneath from drivers side rear bumper
budman5201
Custom EASY to Make Front Engine Bar that bolts to Small Car Performance mounts. (this is when i was pulling the heads off to have them resurfaced for new head gaskets. and new timing belt of course.

This is a nice clean picture of how to make the bar. ( Oh one bolt is missing on top right of center (didnt replace it yet)

I ended up modifying the Small Car Performance mount on the Drivers side. I flipped the mounting bolt location to the inside (not pictured in this picture) so i could put a brand new AMERICAN version of the water pump on. It exited out the front which is perfect, but the bolts were in the way, so once flipped. It worked perfectly smile.gif
village idiot
Nice! I've been thinking about swaps lately as well and the Subie engines are high on the list.
roadster fan
Congratulations, nice conversion. smilie_pokal.gif

Jim
type47
truely impressive! what are you doing about heat and defrost?

your project will surely lead others to do the similar conversion... performance and economy.
JeffBowlsby
Nice and clean install and economical! What was your thinking about not rotating the intake manifold 18 degrees?
siverson
Nice, any idea how much the weight changed? More or less?

-Steve
MartyYeoman
Sweet!!!!!!
Dr. Roger
i always liked the look of those super trapps....

good work. economical without sacrafice of reliability.

beerchug.gif
jonferns
got any vids of it running? popcorn[1].gif

budman5201
the reason for the no 180 degree rotation on manifold is that AC is eventually going in and if i rotated it the compressor wont fit. Videos soon! i drove it to thanksgiving about 40 miles from my house....ran at 172 degrees whole way 80 mph.
weight not known yet. I'll get that done when i get it dynoed next week. it is just wideband o2 sensor tuned.

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Nov 22 2007, 01:31 PM) *

got any vids of it running? popcorn[1].gif

-JON

TonyAKAVW
So your exhaust sertup is individual mufflers for each side? What do you do for your O2 sensor?
budman5201
I have dual O2 sensors, the Link G3 stand alone computer is compatable with duals also.

QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Nov 23 2007, 03:10 PM) *

So your exhaust sertup is individual mufflers for each side? What do you do for your O2 sensor?

budman5201
I am now offering this EJ25 NON-turbo conversion as a complete kit for $6500. This includes the engine complete setup with intake, engine cradle, engine bar, stage 2 stock clutch, pressure plate,transmission adaptor plate for engineto bolt to the stock transmission, custom flywheel to accept stock stage 2 clutch , Custom modified intake throttle body, Custom shortened oil pan, Link Computer (pre- programmed for the ej25 so it will start right up. Already wired to the engine harness. (plug in adaptor))

My system bolts right in, NO modifications neccesary to the body whatsoever. Fits in the engine compartment with no cutting of anything. Mounts lower than the Renegade system, but once again. NON-turbo ONLY.

PM me if interested.
budman5201
more pics
yenningComity
Nice as for a kit, if you could manage to do put the radiator in the engine bay and save losing the front truck I would be interested. It would be rather nice to have a bolt in engine so that if you did want to go back it wouldn't take much more than an engine drop.
rick 918-S
Scott Thatcher did his radiator in the engine compartment in the space left infront of the engine. His conversion was done way before Renagades setup. It worked great.
JPB
Very nice work and looks like great fun!!! beer.gif
budman5201
Didnt Scott end up going in the front also eventually?? I saw his radiator in the back conversion.....
toon1
What rpm's are you spinning at frwy speeds, say 65-70mph?
dug
I'd love to know the before and after weight. Looks nice.

thanks,
dug
Sleepin
Incredible setup and well worth the $6500! I am very impressed!

Trying to source all those parts and get them to work...you are gonna spend way more than that!
Gint
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Mar 16 2008, 04:53 PM) *
Didnt Scott end up going in the front also eventually?? I saw his radiator in the back conversion.....
Good question. I'd kinda like to know myself. I like the idea of using a stock Sub rad in the engine compartment. That's the only way I'd want to do a water cooled conversion to a 914. I'm not willing to lose my front trunk for the sake of a radiator.
budman5201
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 23 2008, 07:38 AM) *

Trying to source all those parts and get them to work...you are gonna spend way more than that!

Cool, nothing better than a PROVEN system from hot AZ!! Soon to be included in the new ej25 NA kit...Complete STAINLESS Header and exhaust system that bolts and exits the stock locations. ($360 option available now!) You ask what about heat?? That has also been solved! We use a TURBO Aluminum Water intercooler in exact reverse operation..to heat the incoming air ONCE again with the STOCK porsche 914 fan motor blowing through the water intercooler that has the lines from the Subie engine that would normally run through the heater core. ( I call this my INTERCOORLER) smile.gif The beauty of my proven system is that it keeps everything in the rear of the 914 functioning just like stock!
messix
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Apr 2 2008, 10:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 23 2008, 07:38 AM) *

Cool, nothing better than a PROVEN system from hot AZ!! Soon to be included in the new ej25 NA kit...Complete STAINLESS Header and exhaust system that bolts and exits the stock locations. ($360 option available now!) You ask what about heat?? That has also been solved! We use a TURBO Aluminum Water intercooler in exact reverse operation..to heat the incoming air ONCE again with the STOCK porsche 914 fan motor blowing through the water intercooler that has the lines from the Subie engine that would normally run through the heater core. ( I call this my INTERCOORLER) smile.gif The beauty of my proven system is that it keeps everything in the rear of the 914 functioning just like stock!

nice solution for heat, no reason why v8 guys can't do the same.
sawtooth
Very very nice. Do you have any pics of the cooling solution?

Edit: Talked to Chris on the phone, and got the cooling info from him directly. Thanks Chris.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.