Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ecu questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
per
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm#parts

the 037 was the standard ecu for 1972/73 1.7 and 1973 2.0

see my internal pics (037aa,bb,cc,dd,ee) of several 037s - see the differences in diodes or whatever those electronic gizmos are - what is you opinion - are they all the same despite visually different parts or are there differences between the 037 ecu ??

http://www.pbase.com/jimkelly/914_parts_for_sale

thanks

jim

my next chore is to look at all the different ecu harnesses i have - several came off these ecu's and are not the same.

Bleyseng
Far as I know via realtime testing in a car, the 037 ECU's work with 2.0L Djet.

ya need the right CHT, resistor and MPS for it to run right!
koozy
I have a 73 2.0 with the 037 ecu and MPS. It has an issue with tiny drops at cruzing speeds. Just little hicups. And the knob on the ecu doesn't effect anything when I turn it (it did on my 1.7). Any tips on what this could be? I think it's a slight vacume leak and the ECU has nothing to do with it. The ECU is a different issue all together. But I don't know for sure.
type47
QUOTE(koozy @ Nov 23 2007, 12:06 PM) *

And the knob on the ecu doesn't effect anything when I turn it (it did on my 1.7). Any tips on what this could be?

i believe the knob on the ecu only adjusts idle speed mixture, not running mixture.
Bleyseng
agree.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE(koozy @ Nov 23 2007, 01:06 PM) *

I have a 73 2.0 with the 037 ecu and MPS. It has an issue with tiny drops at cruzing speeds. Just little hicups. And the knob on the ecu doesn't effect anything when I turn it (it did on my 1.7). Any tips on what this could be? I think it's a slight vacume leak and the ECU has nothing to do with it. The ECU is a different issue all together. But I don't know for sure.

That sounds like your TPS, you can run a test by unplugging the TPS and go for a drive - if the hiccuping stops you have found your culprit. Acceleration will be slow with the TPS disconnected
Dr Evil
3% adjustment per click of the adjustment knob ONLY at idle.

Jim, you are friends with Root and you have to ask here? poke.gif

Physical appearance of the components is no big deal. It all depends on who the parts supplier was when the boards were assembled. Its kind of like trying to determine pills based on look when several different looking ones do the same thing wink.gif
koozy
Thanks, I'll try that in the morning and post the results
koozy
yea, Idle speed mixture doesn't change when I turn the knob. I have 2 more ECUs I can try but I am going to try and fix the hicups first. Got to get the new rear bearings in too. Oh yea, and I just noticed the rear soft lines are going. Good thing I didn't need to stomp on the brakes. Looks like they could have ruptured. I have a nice set from a parts car I just finished pulling apart. Looks like they are kind of a pain to replace though. Maybe I'll have the guy who is doing the bearings do those too since I traded him some rims for the bearing labor.
koozy
Hmmmmm... Not the TPS. Now it misses too. I wonder what could be happening. When cold, at idle it runs smooth as silk. Then starts to miss a bit. Then misses when I drive. Got to pull the plugs and check them out.
orange914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 23 2007, 09:07 AM) *

per
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm#parts

the 037 was the standard ecu for 1972/73 1.7 and 1973 2.0

what exactly is meant by:
1 over run shut off curcuit
2 wave form generators
confused24.gif
jimkelly
replace your condensor - maybe??

jim

--

QUOTE(koozy @ Nov 24 2007, 11:46 AM) *

Hmmmmm... Not the TPS. Now it misses too. I wonder what could be happening. When cold, at idle it runs smooth as silk. Then starts to miss a bit. Then misses when I drive. Got to pull the plugs and check them out.

koozy
Hey, good idea. I have a new one sitting here. Thanx. I'll let ya know.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(koozy @ Nov 24 2007, 01:46 PM) *

When cold, at idle it runs smooth as silk. Then starts to miss a bit. Then misses when I drive.

Try this
Let it warm up till it starts to run rough. Pull one plug wire at a time and see if one cylinder does not make it run rougher. If so, check the valve clearance on that cylinder. Intake will be tight.
Dr Evil
The MPS is part of the enrichment circuit that includes the ECU as is the CHT sensor. If either of these are fracked or if there is an air leak you will have problems. The TPS has 2 contacts in it that are supposed to be closed when the throttle is closed. This connects the idle circuit in the ECU in which the knob on the ECU is a part of.

The ECUs with multiple signal generators etc just means that the circuits in those ECUs have some redundant, slightly different stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.