Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blondie has chafing between the legs.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
I have a rubbing on the inside wheel wells due to a chassis stiffening kit. I need to space out the wheel to lower the rear and try and get some more negative camber....what is the minimum number of turns that a lug nut have to be safe and/or legal for DE or AX?

I can always add longer studs but I would like to avoid the labor if I don't have to....or should I just use open top nuts and see if the studs pass the top of the nut when fully tightened?
Gint
There is actually a spec (SAE?) for fasteners regarding the amount of thread engagement of a nut on a bolt. I don't remember what it is. I think I heard soemthing about this from Geoff at one time or another.

After thinking about it, it might have been Sammy.
J P Stein
I use the 7mm spacers and put on steel lug nuts....IMO, the stock stud ain't doing the trick. I get about 6 turns, 9 would be better or one thread past the nut, better still.
I'm getting longer studs.
SirAndy
somehow, the number 7 comes to mind ....

where's brad when you need him?
Andy
Gint
It's starting to come back to me. I vaguely recall a measurement. Something like the bolt should actually engage all of threads on the nut, plus an additional 1/3 of the thickness of the total threads on the nut.

But what do I know.
Carrera916
I would have to agree with JP as from my experience watching & working on race cars, we always put a longer stud on with the idea of at least a thread or two sticking out of the nut. You would want the full clamping force on the wheel expecially if you're gonna drive her hard around the corner....

j
Brad Roberts
This is from PCA:

"Wheel bolt/lug nut engagement must be at least one times the bolt/stud diameter." This is nine turns on a Porsche set-up.

NHRA is different.. laugh.gif (burnout Z)

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 1 2004, 09:12 PM)
....what is the minimum number of turns that a lug nut have to be safe and/or legal for DE or AX?

...should I just use open top nuts and see if the studs pass the top of the nut when fully tightened?

the Zone 8 spec used to be "end of the stud and tight". my roadwheels barely meet this spec with stock studs and no spacers (fat cast pseudoFuchs). i suppose i could have 0,1" milled off the lug nuts to make them legal, but somehow i don't think that's what they meant...

i can send you a spare steel lug nut if you want, but i have to believe you have a source closer than me ...

i believe the generic thread engagement spec is 1.5 x the diameter of the stud.

just bite the bullet and install 100mm studs with NASCAR ends ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.