Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did you do to your teener this past weekend?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
DanT
my car is basically done except for little things that bug me.

Like the brake calipers were dirty and rough to the touch. So some bead blasting and some ceramic caliper paint... smile.gif

also repainted my rocker panels and rear valence. They had taken a beating this year from AXing and Track events. (mostly from AX venues).

put on the street tires and wheels for the winter.

next will be removal of stock back pad and recarpeting the entire interior including the rear bulkhead wall.
DanT
and
DanT
and I will be doing the carpet in a very short grey pile, carpet similar to an RS interior including the replacement of the backpad with carpet to compliment my 914-6GT style seats. biggrin.gif

then I will begin my complete detailing of the car so it will be ready to be displayed at Blackhawk auto museum in Danville CA.

my car will be part of a display of Porsches to include at least 2 997 GT3s, one orange GT3RS, and possibly a CGT, and then my little Puttputt. Pretty good company to keep.
BiG bOgGs
I figured out that 3 out of my 4 injectors are kaput!

Is knowing you have broken parts progress? huh.gif

Anyways, thats my weekend of fun.

You look like you had more fun than me.

Jim
Beamer13
I confirmed that I will be getting some much needed FI parts shortly thanks to some very helpful members. I also came to realization that my intention of just swapping panels from my roller to my parts car (since parts car's under is way more solid, as well as the Hell Hole) is not really feasible due to fact that panels are all welded on, so now I will have to do paint right away instead of swap and go. So 1 step forward 10 steps back :-( If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!!
jaybird840
Got to play with my new carb synch tool. Just finished overhauling my 40 Dells last week, and I'm getting them dialed in. I can't wait to see how much better it runs. The difference at idle is DRASTIC!
--bird
LarryR
Towed home the newest addition smile.gif
Cevan
I cleaned my motor and trans, cleaned up the engine tin, replaced the pushrod tube seals, and adjusted my valves. Much easier doing valve adjustment with the motor on jack stands. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
I helped exorcise the demon out of DrEvil's car. Then I painted my engine tin - well, except for the last 2 parts I need to get back from the bead blaster tomorrow. Then I put the head back on my T4.

so, lots of little stuff.

Maybe tomorrow I'll put my doors back together - or hang christmas lights. Dunno yet.

Zach
Allan
I worked on glassing in some mounting tabs on my fiberglass rear valance...
root
Morphed an audio visual cart imto this awesome TIV prototyping engine/tranny stand! welder.gif
shelby/914
Removed all of the rubber seals, door handles, targa chrome, bumpers and their mounting hardware. Its going in for paint and chrome bumper transplant. Was supposed to be tomorrow, but it looks like my painter has gone on vacation a week early. Aaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Click to view attachment

Still need to clean up a pile of bumpers and choose the best ones. Some are here, some still ion the barn.

Click to view attachment
jd74914
I put my rocker covers back on, got new rims/tires, and put in some new seals and other little things. My car is the yellow one thats almost finished smile.gif

My brother bought a '72. It has a 2.0 with FI in it (a nice surprise, we were told it was a 1.7). He's really excited and now gets to start on body work since this car actually runs and drives. Its the first Porsche my family has bought that came running. laugh.gif

The green '70 lost its garage spot and we're trying to figure out what to do with her. Now we have 3 teeners and a long hood 911, my mom is thrilled screwy.gif

These two pictures show my brother and his car. They are proof that 6'7" to 6'8" people can fit in 914s and drive them . . . he's only 15 BTW popcorn[1].gif
jd74914
Here's my baby and the group of teeners.
jd74914
Did I mention that we got a spare engine with the '72 and a few hundred in brand new parts smile.gif
McMark
Some inspiration for ya' Dan. wink.gif
sww914
I mounted a rear spoiler that I've had for 5 years and started building a Home Depot front splitter. 1/8" luan door skin with 6oz fiberglass on either side. I'll finish the splitter in the next couple of days. I'm glad it's not 20 below like some of you guys have to deal with, I can still get some stuff done outside.
LarryR
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 25 2007, 06:53 PM) *

That is a sweet carpet kit... Who makes that mark?
Trevorg7
I drove mine...a lot. biggrin.gif

T
scotty
Reupholstered seats in black duct tape (shhhh! nobody can tell!)
Drove it and froze my toes/ears.

...thinking of installing aux oil cooler in center console for heat blink.gif
brp986s
joined the mile high club. ok, 4 ft, but really helped with a speedo angle drive replacement. No more shimmying around on my back.
hwgunner
I lowered the fuel level a couple times. Once with a friend and the other a blast by myself.

dflesburg
On my car, I broke the fan belt on my 3.2...

On Erik's car, (Great Pumpkin) I tried for 3 days to weld a allen into the drivers side torsion bar adjustment bolt so it would come out, broke all 12 attempts...
type47fan
. . . began the caliper change on the 911 front end for my V8 conversion . . . .
PeeGreen 914
I put my new Triad racing exhaust on my car. It weighs a total of 12lbs and sounds great. The only downer is it just doesn't look as cool as the other Triads. I did drive it a lot in 25 degree weather. Sometimes I do wish I had heat.
KaptKaos
Put in my new jets in my carbs (mains, airs and idles) and mounted my breather box.

Tomorrow I plan to adjust idle and maybe go for a little drive =)
euro911
Not much 'work' got done here ... I caught a pretty nasty cold mad.gif

BUT ... on Friday, took my brother on a drive through the twisties around the Palos Verdes peninsula in my wife's car. We needed to verify good roads for next Saturday's San Pedro/PV run. He hadn't been in a 914 in over 30 years.

Since I was stuck inside, a friend dropped off a Gum Ball Rally DVD to help cheer me up biggrin.gif

INTERESTING NOTE

There's a scene with a silver 914 in it, never saw this before sad.gif ... my wife spotted it cheer.gif

... sort of at the beginning, just after they've all started the race ... just after the little Italian guy drives off in the Rolls Royce with his girlfriend after her photo-shoot biggrin.gif
computers4kids
Sold my 72 this weekend...sorry to see it leave, but it went to a good home and a bright future.

Now...I can focus on just one project and maybe get something done.
woobn8r
Well....It's been Fuchin' cold here,.... so all I got done was put away the old wheels and tires with the summer tires from our daily drivers.....

At least there's nothing on the garage floor except 4 jackstands (holding a 914) a TIV with 901 beside it....and an engine stand with a fresh 3.2!
brer
I took the advice Howie gave me in 2005 and spent the weekend installing the front sway. Used the crossmember as a reference to get them the same height.

McMark
QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 25 2007, 07:12 PM) *
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 25 2007, 06:53 PM) *
That is a sweet carpet kit... Who makes that mark?

Larry, that's a Morph carpet kit (he's a member here, see the Member Vendors section) and a custom firewall carpet piece made by my upholstery guy. He cut the carpet and sewed the edges with some black stuff to give it a nice finished look.
type47
traced continuity on the relay board to try to see if it was the cause of the car quitting twice on the way to have some work done on it last weekend. no faults found so i used a dremel to clean all the pin contacts and fuse contacts to avoid corrosion faults. other than that, i pulled back the end of the tarp to see if the car was still orange! i did install 3 roof windows on the garage and started shingling smile.gif
purple
I made an engine cart out of a single 2x4 and 4 casters and a box of screws from home depot. Grand total 18 bux to make ( I couldnt find one anywhere!) I then dropped the engine! First time i've ever done that!

Turns out I've got a GD case from a bus! the cooling fan has a ton of broken blades. At least the main seals look like they're in good shape.

I have 1.7L heads on a 2.0L engine yippee
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 25 2007, 05:26 PM) *

my car is basically done except for little things that bug me.

Like the brake calipers were dirty and rough to the touch. So some bead blasting and some ceramic caliper paint... smile.gif

also repainted my rocker panels and rear valence. They had taken a beating this year from AXing and Track events. (mostly from AX venues).

put on the street tires and wheels for the winter.

next will be removal of stock back pad and recarpeting the entire interior including the rear bulkhead wall.

Dan,

Looks like you're on the way to some fun!... as for the question, what I did to my 914, After my three days at B/W last month, I readjusted my front sway bar. This
adjustment made the car respond better.
I guess I wil know if this was a good move or not next month at the OC PCA 'El Toro' event.

Thanks for sharing
Gint
I drove mine once. Topless. Does that count?

I had to put the top on this morning before driving to work. It was only 23 degrees at 06:30.
army dude
Drank lots of coffee to pass the time so Monday would come quicker so I can go pic up my car with a framed rearend to hold the 930 tranny. Pics to come soon!!

Ian
678-458-0770
Phoenix914
Put in a new thermostat cable, as the old one was frayed on the end. Also had to replace the small bolt and square nut that holds it to the flappers. Now I'm not sure if the thermostat is good or not. Isn't it supposed to be compressed when it's cold? Anyway, the engine warmed up better on the shake down drive.
rick 918-S
Worked on the Alien Autotopsy. Started here... Two on the opporating table.. Ended with one on the gurney.. smile.gif
Cevan
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Nov 26 2007, 10:09 AM) *

Put in a new thermostat cable, as the old one was frayed on the end. Also had to replace the small bolt and square nut that holds it to the flappers. Now I'm not sure if the thermostat is good or not. Isn't it supposed to be compressed when it's cold? Anyway, the engine warmed up better on the shake down drive.

I checked mine this weekend. I also have a broken cable. I took a heat gun to it and after about 20-30 seconds (didn't want to melt it) it expanded like an accordion. I assume that to connect the cable correctly, you want to compress the flaps (the opposite of their default condition) and then connect the cable, getting out all the slack.
BMXerror
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 25 2007, 05:26 PM) *

...anyone making any progress?

No! mad.gif
Mark D.
DNHunt
Almost finished welding in Engman kit. I have about 20 short stitch welds left. Ran into a glitch. 2 pieces of metal in my left eye. (I was wearing goggles, took them off to wipe sweat and a bunch of filings fell in my eye.) 3 hours in the ER and nice divot in my eye.

This looks like my last welding project.

It's hard to type with only 1 eye.

Bad news: no worky today

Good news: no worky today and good drugs.

Dave
TeenerTim
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 26 2007, 12:29 PM) *

Almost finished welding in Engman kit. I have about 20 short stitch welds left. Ran into a glitch. 2 pieces of metal in my left eye. (I was wearing goggles, took them off to wipe sweat and a bunch of filings fell in my eye.) 3 hours in the ER and nice divot in my eye.

Dave

You're not alone pal. I got rust or dirt in one eye on Thanksgiving day. Went to a "doc in the box" and they couldn't get it out. Missed work on Friday but it's still there. Just not as bad.

The good news is I finished pulling my engine out before the accident. Progress WAS made. blink.gif
brer
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Nov 26 2007, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Nov 26 2007, 12:29 PM) *

Dave

You're not alone pal. I got rust or dirt in one eye on Thanksgiving day. Went to a "doc in the box" and they couldn't get it out. Missed work on Friday but it's still there. Just not as bad.

The good news is I finished pulling my engine out before the accident. Progress WAS made. blink.gif

Tim, do not leave metal in your eye.
Critical to remove it asap. Organically active material in they eye is bad bad bad.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Nov 26 2007, 12:01 PM) *

I checked mine this weekend. I also have a broken cable. I took a heat gun to it and after about 20-30 seconds (didn't want to melt it) it expanded like an accordion. I assume that to connect the cable correctly, you want to compress the flaps (the opposite of their default condition) and then connect the cable, getting out all the slack.

It's hard to rotate the flaps and tighten the bolt while making sure all the slack is out of the cable. Somehow, I managed it with only two hands. Only problem was, my thermostat looked almost completely expanded with temps in the 40's. I may need to replace that too. mad.gif
rhcb914
I DROVE it!!

smilie_pokal.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(brer @ Nov 26 2007, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Nov 26 2007, 10:33 AM) *

Tim, do not leave metal in your eye.
Critical to remove it asap. Organically active material in they eye is bad bad bad.

Your eye will grow over it and removing said problem is really painful. Ask me how I know. I did it with dirt and not metal; metal is much worse. wacko.gif sad.gif
watsonrx13
Well, this was a very busy weekend for me....

First, I painted my current project, by myself, in my own 'Redneck Paint Booth'...

Here it is just after finished painting, still in the booth...

Click to view attachment

Here it is in the yard drying...

Click to view attachment

And here are the doors and lids painted, still in the booth...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
watsonrx13
Oh, and I also drove my other car around this weekend... Here it is at home, instead of at the shop...

Click to view attachment

And I still have today, Tuesday and Wednesday off from work.... biggrin.gif

-- Rob
thesey914
Made a spindle out of a length of 10mm ΓΈ bright/silversteel for my bellcrank and mounted it.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

highways
Pulled off the rear trailing arms, pushed the bushings out, popping out the bearings tonight. 5 lug here I come!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.