Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT any interest in a N. Ca. porsche get together?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
LarryR
So that was a blast next run end of Jan first of Feb?
McMark
I could be talked into a Rain Run! driving.gif
RoadGlue
Had a wonderful time today! Wish I had gotten more sleep the night before, but that's how it goes.

Here's the first batch of photos. I don't have time right now to post them inline.

44 Photos:
http://pixelrandy.zenfolio.com/p1008247149/

Look forward to doing this again soon!
LarryR
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 8 2007, 05:05 PM) *

Had a wonderful time today! Wish I had gotten more sleep the night before, but that's how it goes.

Here's the first batch of photos. I don't have time right now to post them inline.

44 Photos:
http://pixelrandy.zenfolio.com/p1008247149/

Look forward to doing this again soon!

Holly cow! Excellent pictures! I must need a better camera mine never come out that good beerchug.gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif just got home an hour ago. that was a fun run ...

conclusion of the day:

1.) i need more stickage.
the 225 street rubber just doesn't cut it when you're trying to keep up with your 35 year younger cousin that boasts 500 rwhp ...
them 315 hoosiers have to go on the car asap.

2.) i need more brakeage.
see 1.)

biggrin.gif Andy
jgara962
Thanks to Mark and Randy for organizing this. What a great run! It was also great to see everyone again as well as meet some new people.
Dr. Roger
The drive was really ugly.
No scenery to speak of.
Dr. Roger
and no one came.

Dr. Roger
and there were no twin-turbo 500+HP beasts running with us.
Dr. Roger
and there were no "nearly flawless finishes" there either.
Dr. Roger
and no Carreras's either.
Dr. Roger
Twins? Not quite.
Dr. Roger
and some other fine 914's represented.
Dr. Roger
"Look closely, it does have a flux capacitor"
Dr. Roger
"Look at my wheels go 'round and 'round".

Kidding. beerchug.gif

Big fun. Zero breakdown's.

Can't ask for much more.

Cheers,
Roger
LarryR
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Dec 8 2007, 10:23 PM) *

"Look at my wheels go 'round and 'round".

Kidding. beerchug.gif

Big fun. Zero breakdown's.

Can't ask for much more.

Cheers,
Roger

1 tossed fan belt at the start of the run but it was running by the end.
McMark
Sort of. It's still at my shop. Yes, I fit a FOURTH car in there. wacko.gif

Rob lost the fan belt again on the way home and only made it to Vacaville. Then it got towed back to me. But we did figured out what was wrong and it'll be all better tomorrow.

Isn't building a car fun, Rob? happy11.gif
PRS914-6
I had a great time and it was really fun meeting everyone and placing a face to a name. Thanks to everyone who organized it. The drive was perfect, the cars were awesome and the company was outstanding. I'm looking forward to the next one.

You got to think, how many places can you drive this time of the year with your top off? Simply awesome!

Rob....sorry about your breakdown....Did Pete drive that? slap.gif
Scott Carlberg
WHO was driving the Werks, 997 Twin Turbo???

Nice turnout guys, dang I miss these events.
Krieger
Very cool day in more ways than one! Don't forget the great Taylor's Refresher stop with the yummy pumpkin shakes! I was going to get a Fat Tire, but fortunately for me I tried something else.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Dec 8 2007, 11:50 PM) *

I had a great time and it was really fun meeting everyone and placing a face to a name. Thanks to everyone who organized it. The drive was perfect, the cars were awesome and the company was outstanding. I'm looking forward to the next one.

You got to think, how many places can you drive this time of the year with your top off? Simply awesome!

Rob....sorry about your breakdown....Did Pete drive that? slap.gif

Paul,
Pete didn't drive it... He had lots of questions. In fact as a result of our discussion I think I will probably stay with the carbs. When I get it all dialed in I will contact Pete.
When you change everything, and you aren't an engineer, you have to expect that you will get something wrong. I did. Just small things but they take some of the fun out of the result. You can either give up and sell or change it. I will be changing it.
It is like the difference between your car and Andy's... Both '95 3.6 motors but one is a street stormer and the other borders on modern luxury with an attitude. Install a GPS in the dash and antilock brakes and your car is a Lexus in an old Porsche body.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 8 2007, 11:43 PM) *

Sort of. It's still at my shop. Yes, I fit a FOURTH car in there. wacko.gif

Rob lost the fan belt again on the way home and only made it to Vacaville. Then it got towed back to me. But we did figured out what was wrong and it'll be all better tomorrow.

Isn't building a car fun, Rob? happy11.gif

You know, even with all of the setbacks I would not trade a moment of the time we have spent and I have spent for some newish car... So, yes... It has been kind of fun. I will write about it some day.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Dec 9 2007, 12:37 AM) *

WHO was driving the Werks, 997 Twin Turbo???

Nice turnout guys, dang I miss these events.

The Werks 997TT was driven by Pete Stout of Excellence and 914World (HorizontallyOpposed). He was 'Werking' biggrin.gif Watch for an article about it in a later edition...
ConeDodger
Andy Brian and Chris P. got to go out for a little scoot in my car... I think they were impressed. Andy found a little more top end in mine than his own 2270. I think he is limited by his stock(ish) injection. I wish I had taken a drive in his... Chris was all smiles when he got back. But then, I have never seen Chris when he was not all smiles. biggrin.gif
YOPU
Nicho had fun too. Too bad there are only two seats in the 914. I stayed home and worked sad.gif
Chris Pincetich
I can't remember what was more fun; driving another 914 for the first time ever when Rob let me test drive his Original Customs with the 2270 engine kit, poking around Paul's perfect black 3.6, or full-throttle up the twisty section chasing Sir Andy! Did anybody get a picture of the sign after we turned left "Twisty Roads NEXT 36 MILES"??!!?! The second half was AVE 70mph I think, but my speedo is way off. I hit 100, which is really about 88 mph corrected. I was in 5th and downshifting to 4th for the tighter curves. driving.gif
How fast were others going? shades.gif

Larry - I've got SS HEs lying around, thanks for the offer. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 9 2007, 05:55 PM) *

How fast were others going?

shades.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Dec 9 2007, 05:55 PM) *

I can't remember what was more fun; driving another 914 for the first time ever when Rob let me test drive his Original Customs with the 2270 engine kit, poking around Paul's perfect black 3.6, or full-throttle up the twisty section chasing Sir Andy! Did anybody get a picture of the sign after we turned left "Twisty Roads NEXT 36 MILES"??!!?! The second half was AVE 70mph I think, but my speedo is way off. I hit 100, which is really about 88 mph corrected. I was in 5th and downshifting to 4th for the tighter curves. driving.gif
How fast were others going? shades.gif

Larry - I've got SS HEs lying around, thanks for the offer. beerchug.gif

The only time I got silly with it was that long straight towards the end. I think I hit about 125 - 130 just before mashing the brakes ... I did not know we were about to turn. I felt pretty stupid for doing it b/c (I am terrible with names) but the guy with the red 2.0 6 had a hard time stopping ... because as soon as I moved in front of him was when everyone got hard on the brakes. The turbo brakes with pagid pads work great but if the guy behind you does not have them .....

Shoot I was looking forward to getting something out of the shed smile.gif I just thought b/c you were riding around without heat maybe you could use a pair.

LarryR
QUOTE(YOPU @ Dec 9 2007, 10:59 AM) *

Nicho had fun too. Too bad there are only two seats in the 914. I stayed home and worked sad.gif

I think having Nicho there made the trip for Amanda. It is always more fun when there are kids her age there.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(LarryR @ Dec 9 2007, 06:55 PM) *

I think having Nicho there made the trip for Amanda. It is always more fun when there are kids her age there.

It sure made the trip for Nicho... Trouble is, I have spent the day trying to find him a PSP because "Amanda has a GameBoy..." I guess if one kid has it the other has to!
biggrin.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 9 2007, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Dec 9 2007, 06:55 PM) *

It sure made the trip for Nicho... Trouble is, I have spent the day trying to find him a PSP because "Amanda has a GameBoy..." I guess if one kid has it the other has to!
biggrin.gif

I think the Nintendo DS is the best one to have now (Amanda is getting one for christmas) they are about 99 bucks and play all of the game boy games...

I think those things are great especially for a long drive... no more are we there yet b/c they are to involved in their game smile.gif
McMark
Larry, that was John (jgara962) in his 2.0 four. But even I get his and Andy's cars confused. laugh.gif

Thanks to Pete for the 911 Werks ride along. All I can say is that PCCB brakes are amazing and we never went above the posted speed limit. happy11.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 9 2007, 07:10 PM) *

Larry, that was John (jgara962) in his 2.0 four. But even I get his and Andy's cars confused. laugh.gif

Thanks to Pete for the 911 Werks ride along. All I can say is that PCCB brakes are amazing and we never went above the posted speed limit. happy11.gif

I was talking about kmh happy11.gif well within the posted limit beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
Sorry, I couldn't make it--Lisa and I were a little bit east of you guys. We had lunch in Woodland. We were, however, travelling at speeds that nothing but that twin-turbo could match. wink.gif

A co-worker of mine attended a little fly-in headed up there, and invited us along. It was just a little Cessna 172, but it was pretty nifty! The winds made the landing a bit interesting, but the trip was very nice. Our GPS now has a highest recorded speed of 179 MPH, which was set on the way back to Palo Alto airport with a hefty tail-wind.

Then I went to a friend's 42nd birthday party.

Hopefully I can make it next time!!

--DD
Krieger
Hey Rob, I wish there was more time. I was interested in your thoughts on the comparison as well. Next time. Thanks.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Dec 9 2007, 09:10 PM) *

Hey Rob, I wish there was more time. I was interested in your thoughts on the comparison as well. Next time. Thanks.

Andy,

I should see if I have the article on your car... My car has Dellortos, you have stock(ish) injection. You leave something on the table there but you also probably have more driveability as far as cold start etc... Plus, I bet you have a better emissions profile. I was listening to Pete and Mark talking about aftermarket injection. One would think you could get more out of your motor with ITB's and an aftermarket system. Most of these systems have pretty glaring limitations though. Those that don't cost a buck or say... TEN THOUSAND!!! I have full flow oiling, my guess is that you have a stock oil pump? Mine flows to an external oil filter mounted in one of the niftiest Original Customs mountings I have seen. Mark has pics. I have LE200 heads and you have stock I'd guess? Again, you leave a little on the table there. The LE heads in general are amazing. There is so much power in them alone. Jake picked the valve train. I don't even recall what cam it has.
I have actually seen your car driven in anger at a PCA event at Chuck Shultz... Even Steve Nieslony said you had the grunt on him at the end of the straights.
Bottom line though Andy, everyone knows red is faster than silver biggrin.gif
Toast
Looks like a great time guys!

If you decide to do another get-together in Jan/Feb., could someone send me a pm and let me know? I will try to make it up! driving-girl.gif

toast.gif
horizontally-opposed
Sure was fun to be on a 914 drive, even if I was "stuck" driving a tail-dragger... biggrin.gif

Lunch was tasty + great roads and a nice, easy, and safe route = how could we go wrong? And it was fun to see some of the different 914s on hand. Shocked to see 10+ 914s and no orange ones. Has to be some sort of world record. Woulda loved to have driven Rob's silver car, and SirAndy's too. And was good to see the "other" Andy has made the move to five-lug Fuchs. His red car looks better than ever, and I still remember how well screwed together it felt when I drove it years ago.

And, hey, Paul's 914 3.6 even finished the route... (right back at ya, Paul.... happy11.gif )

Now, about that black Jetta.... headbang.gif

pete
McMark
The curse of the black Jetta..... happy11.gif
Krieger

Ha, fooled you they only look faster. I thought about a custom fuel injection set up, but I'll wait till I get my six done. I can barely find time to work on 1 car. My car passed smog 6 years ago with just the smog pump and NO cat! Just barely though. Right now the cam and heads are the limiting factors for my motor. Stock rev limiter/oil pump/valves. I did some porting in the exhaust port where the heat exchangers bolt up. Almost forgot, but a good friend of mine made a custom addition to my plenum instead of my temporary "adaptor" for my volvo throttle body. Loss of that restriction got me 5 horses on the dyno. Rob, next time I'd like you to drive my car.beer3.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Dec 10 2007, 09:05 PM) *

Ha, fooled you they only look faster. I thought about a custom fuel injection set up, but I'll wait till I get my six done. I can barely find time to work on 1 car. My car passed smog 6 years ago with just the smog pump and NO cat! Just barely though. Right now the cam and heads are the limiting factors for my motor. Stock rev limiter/oil pump/valves. I did some porting in the exhaust port where the heat exchangers bolt up. Almost forgot, but a good friend of mine made a custom addition to my plenum instead of my temporary "adaptor" for my volvo throttle body. Loss of that restriction got me 5 horses on the dyno. Rob, next time I'd like you to drive my car.beer3.gif

Andy,

I would be honored. Watching yours and discussing that "extra grunt" with Steve Nieslony at Charles Schultz a couple years ago was part of the inspiration to build mine... I am glad I did...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.