Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just found this site today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
KaptKaos
Wow! Very nice.
dlo914
welcome.png Nice car! Did all /6 come w/ a combination Temp & Fuel gauge?

Oh yeah! For picture resizing you can just use-

Microsoft's Paint:

1. Open the program or view a picture with MS Paint.
2. Hold and type Ctrl+W
3. Now in the percentage boxes enter how ever size you want to resize the pictures. (i.e. half, 50% both Horizontal & Vertical)

mel reckling
Not sure if they all had the same, but don't believe this was anything but stock.

I was able to downsize to 35% on the image hoopiejoob from original 1100k shots in the mailbox. That seemed to work. They still are pretty grainy quality, but hey it was dark.
John
So your 72 has a movable passenger seat and a 4-cyl style steering column.

I thought they did.

mel reckling
QUOTE(John @ Nov 30 2007, 06:27 PM) *

So your 72 has a movable passenger seat and a 4-cyl style steering column.

I thought they did.

I've got a stack of Panoramas from the early 80s, I'll try to look through them to see if they say anything about it. Again, this car should be about as close to original as can be. The number I got on the production run from the mags was 246 72s originally built, enough to qualify to run in production class. From articles from various other mags writing about them, the numbers have varied widely to a low of 50.
mel reckling
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 29 2007, 04:40 PM) *

Beautiful cars, Mel.
I went through the one-time exemption, gray-market process in 85 with an e21 BMW. I REALLY wanted a 3.0 CS but they were all dust and bondo and when I left Germany I had this 320 with a straight 6 engine that just sang on the autobahn, so I brought it home. As I recall, it was pretty complicated....
My Mom had a Z-car of about that vintage as well
Anyway, it is time to

start
that
car.

and
WELCOME TO THE 914WORLD!!

Yes, the complications start from the very beginning. The ship sets sail and stops all over the place before it even starts across the ocean. When it gets near it starts hopping down the east coast from Canada. You do get to choose where you want it dropped with undesirable choices from Boston, NYC, Newark and the like. I opted for Baltimore and am glad that was a choice just for getting in and out of.

When you get to the first office you have to go to you are given the distinct impression these people have never done this before and are totally clueless. From there you bring everything they gave you only to find when you reach the port, the pink piece of paper should have been a blue piece of paper. Round and round, all over the port you go, quite comical dodging the activities of a busy port.

Then, everything is in the original language so noone has any idea what things you need. You wind up having to hire a certified translator and spend money on every single word finding out half of the stuff you didn't need.

Luckily, the 1972 didn't require any modifications to pass. They only wanted side marker lights, which we stuck on, took pics of then took off. The list was short and painless. I'd never do it again on something like the 79 BMW.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mel,
Nice, rare 914. Remember, it's original only once.

Is that a Sonauto dealer emblem on the tail? If it is, I'd keep it on there to tout the cars' provenance (although others would say a dealer insignia shouldn't be on the car).

You got a very desirable car there, I'm sure we all will be following your progress with it on this Forum. Good to have you aboard.

Paul
mel reckling
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 1 2007, 10:31 AM) *

Mel,

Is that a Sonauto dealer emblem on the tail? If it is, I'd keep it on there to tout the cars' provenance (although others would say a dealer insignia shouldn't be on the car).

You got a very desirable car there, I'm sure we all will be following your progress with it on this Forum. Good to have you aboard.

Paul

Thanks, Paul. Yes it is a Sonauto emblem, just went out and checked. Where are they located and you mean that adds to the nostalgia? Sorry, I am unfamiliar with
the name, but that's not saying much.

Are you the person mentioned who is compiling an Ohio list? I'll have to try to find this guy I used to work with back in the 80s. He was a formula VEE racer and had a 70 914-4 with only 14,000 miles on it. His name is still in the phone book, but would really have to be getting up in age.

mel reckling
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 1 2007, 10:31 AM) *

Mel,

Paul

So is it safe to assume the LeMans 77 sticker on the window also adds to the provenance? Almost scraped it off 25 years ago and was going to remove the Sonauto emblem too. Glad it didn't happen. During my time in the car biz I always hated dealers who'd drill holes for an 'ego massage'.
davep
We know of 1972 914/6 going up to VIN 0260.
Sonauto was the French importer and was involved in racing. The Sonauto 914/6 GT finished sixth overall at LeMans in 1970. I'd keep those stickers. At one time they were eyesores, but now I'd say that in your particular case id does add provenance.

BTW, I do have an incomplete list of members that I can sort by state. I just pass that info along to anyone compiling a state registry.
lotus_65
i wonder is this the car you speak of davep?

pbase gallery

quite the buildup on your car, mel! i'm looking to live somewhat vicariously through this these threads and enjoy its resurrection.
no pressure, though happy11.gif
paul
mel reckling
Thanks Paul, that is one incredible link. I keep having these 'Oh yeah, now I remember moments' since I started posting here. Little things that 25 years ago I knew about the car, but had forgotten. I had no knowledge of Sonauto's prior history, but that 6th overall is quite an accomplishment.

Thanks again.

beerchug.gif
davep
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Dec 3 2007, 05:59 PM) *

i wonder is this the car you speak of davep?

pbase gallery

No, this one. There were several that ran under the Sonauto banner.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_9146gt...31020_sonauto40
nein14
QUOTE(mel reckling @ Nov 30 2007, 05:54 AM) *

Rare French tailight Lenses w00t.gif
mel reckling
QUOTE(nein14 @ Dec 4 2007, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(mel reckling @ Nov 30 2007, 05:54 AM) *

Rare French tailight Lenses w00t.gif

Was this done by Sonauto? The headlight's bulbs are amber too. Found that out the last day I drove the car in 82, coming home from a bar. Flipped on the lights and the world lit up yellow. Got out and looked, puzzled at the sight. I had followed the car all the way back from Baltimore and never realized it and had only driven the car during the day once back. Was kind of cool, but realizing the local police would probably stop me in a less-than-sober state, I hightailed it home, dusting a New Supra on the way. It was off the line, the first time I put my foot in it, how quick this little car was. I had a 1.7 at the time and truely marvelled at the differences between these two cousins.

What kind of conditions would dictate to having that kind of set-up? Was it for foggy climate or was it for racing?

lotus_65
Your yelo fogs look cool, are they hella's?
I was coming home the other day after dark and some guy had yellows for his main lamps... not fogs or auxiliary's, the main ones like the sonauto in the link.

I thought it was illegal, but i don't rightly know.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mel,
Just based on your posts and photos that you've provided, it seems that your /6 is in compliance with regulations and standards in effect for 1972 vehicles.....in France (but we all knew that anyway). The French market tail light lenses, the "yellow" lights, the Sonauto emblem, and the lack of side marker lights all indicate a French Connection.

I'm sure that in some states, the BMV would make you replace those French yellow bulbs with sealed-beam items. I wonder what else your car is equipped with that makes it a France-spec import?

Paul
mel reckling
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Dec 5 2007, 01:59 PM) *

Your yelo fogs look cool, are they hella's?
I was coming home the other day after dark and some guy had yellows for his main lamps... not fogs or auxiliary's, the main ones like the sonauto in the link.

I thought it was illegal, but i don't rightly know.

Yes they are Hellas. Each state probably has its own rules, not sure of Ohio, but have never seen anyone around here. They would be great in upstate NY with all the dense fog they get.

I was quite impressed, during my two trips to Europe in the early 70s, of the effectiveness of the cat's eyes they had imbedded in the roads. Even in the densest fog the road was so well marked. The one's here don't seem to be as bright as the Euro ones.
mel reckling
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Dec 5 2007, 02:18 PM) *

Mel,
Just based on your posts and photos that you've provided, it seems that your /6 is in compliance with regulations and standards in effect for 1972 vehicles.....in France (but we all knew that anyway). The French market tail light lenses, the "yellow" lights, the Sonauto emblem, and the lack of side marker lights all indicate a French Connection.

I'm sure that in some states, the BMV would make you replace those French yellow bulbs with sealed-beam items. I wonder what else your car is equipped with that makes it a France-spec import?

Paul

Oh no! I've seen those French Connection movies. Maybe I should check my spare for contraband.

From what I've encountered in France, it seems they like to all get together and drive around in big circles trying to trap unsuspecting tourists in the middle of the whirlpool. Maybe there's some special kind of NASCAR left-turn-only package.

I think back in the early 70s they were trying to have recessed headlights covered, but changed the law after it went into effect.

Steve Thacker
Mel,
Welcome aboard to the non-club. Maybe it is time to pull out those cars and do some tinkering and get them back on the road? Wish you were just a wee bit closer. I'd come over and help out or you could trailer one car at a time to my place.
I have a three car garage just for restorations. I'm down here on the SE side of Columbus.

Anyways again welcome to the site. Take your shoes off and stay awhile. Someone get this boy a beer from the fridge. beerchug.gif
mel reckling
QUOTE(Steve Thacker @ Dec 6 2007, 05:48 AM) *

Mel,
Welcome aboard to the non-club. Maybe it is time to pull out those cars and do some tinkering and get them back on the road? Wish you were just a wee bit closer. I'd come over and help out or you could trailer one car at a time to my place.
I have a three car garage just for restorations. I'm down here on the SE side of Columbus.

Anyways again welcome to the site. Take your shoes off and stay awhile. Someone get this boy a beer from the fridge. beerchug.gif

Thanks for the cold one. The Z is pretty close to being on the road. The car has always, always been serviced at a Nissan dealer(same mechanic 29 years). Everything done with genuine Datsun parts. Last time(2000) it sat up in the air for 2 weeks in its own little area in the shop and the spectators raved about it. There's these little 2" lines running into the injectors that dry-rotted and sprouted pinholes. Three of them did the same thing and the new one is in the front bank of injectors. They're in the wrong spot just above the exhaust manifolds to start it up. It purred like a kitten besides that.

dempwolf@pctribe.com
Thanks for the link Paul, and yes I find it very intereting. Took me forever to try and find where I had seen this information and the link but found it again after searching for hours.
I have become painfully aware again that my car will never be as original as Mel's without the engine and transmission gone probably for ever, I do have the numbers the COA gave me and I do look, but the chances of me finding it are not as good as my chance of winning the lottory.
The interior of Mel's car explains the dash and the mission switch, my tail lights are identical to his. I hope Mel will not mind me copying his images and any others he plans on sending since I know of no other original '72 /6 to use as a reference.
Attached is the plate the car came with. Keep the pictures coming Mel, I will store them all greatfully and refer to them when I need to know what an original '72 /6 should look like. Karl

PS I have ordered one of the few remaining 914-6(VW)Porsche crests from AutoAtlanta, there are a few left at $175
computers4kids
welcome.png
Looking at your list of cars, I declare you're sick puppy...you'll fit right in.
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif Mark
mel reckling
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Oct 12 2008, 09:01 PM) *

welcome.png
Looking at your list of cars, I declare you're sick puppy...you'll fit right in.
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif Mark

Actually, I'm a cat person in a 'Dawg' town(Cleveland).

Demp, go ahead use any of the pics you find helpful.

Here's a couple more recent ones.

JeffBowlsby
Looks like Mels former French 914/6 car is local to us in the Bay area now. The new owner is selling off the rear bumber...but I am just curious...did the 1972 cars have the early rear bumper or the later rounded style?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/1650864451.html

SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 19 2010, 12:35 PM) *

Looks like Mels former French 914/6 car is local to us in the Bay area now. The new owner is selling off the rear bumber...but I am just curious...did the 1972 cars have the early rear bumper or the later rounded style?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/1650864451.html

I always thought the "sharp" bumpers came on both, the early /4 and early /6 ...

If so, my guess would be that the round bumper is correct for a '72 /6.
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.