Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VR6 in a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1bad914
Has anyone done this?I have access to a low mileage motor and was just wondering?
lotus_65
it's been talked about, i don't remember if it was done. it would be cool!

there's a passat vr6 around here i just noticed. idea.gif
1bad914
My son has a low mileage VR6 Jetta that was rolled, engine would be free, I'm sure an adapter is out there or could be made by someone???Hmmmm
AZ914
Was Mike Mueller working on this at one time?
neo914-6
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Dec 6 2007, 03:15 PM) *

Was Mike Mueller working on this at one time?

he sold the chassis ~2 years ago to Darren and the engine and adapter to another 914 owner...
jonferns
theres currently a vr6 swap project (914) for sale on the samba. I ran across it yesterday.
VaccaRabite
I am pretty sure that Kennedy makes and adapter plate for the Vr6 to the 901. I am also pretty sure that to make it work, you will be loosing your rear trunk (which is not a big deal to some people, and is for others. And as long as you are loosing the rear trunk, you have room for a turbo or supercharger - which the Vr6 loves as much as pigs love stink. Its a neat way to keep the 914 in the "family" and still have a wicked fast car.

Zach
1bad914
I can vouch for the potential of the VR6, my son now has an R32, amazing car. I may delve into this a little deeper. It would be one heck of a fun ride. As usual cooling would be an issue as the VR6 is prone to overheat!

I looked on The Samba and could not find the VR6 914 swap?
Cap'n Krusty
If that "low mileage" is anywhere over 70K, replace the conveniently located timing chains and assorted bits before you do the swap. It's a more than one day job when it's in the car, and a known problem. The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm#6CYL

There is the link to Kennedy Engineering for the adapter plate to mate the Vr6 to a 901.

You will need to make a custom engine mount bar, and as I recall, you will need to loose the rain tray, or you will have very low ground clearence.

I totally think you should do it. When I had my MkIII golf, I was constantly cursing the fact that I had bought the 2.slow instead of the Vr6.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
2.0 timing belt job, retail ........... 300 bucks
VR6 timing chain job, retail ........ 2000 bucks

Same mileage interval
Take your pick

The Cap'n
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 7 2007, 11:48 AM) *

2.0 timing belt job, retail ........... 300 bucks
VR6 timing chain job, retail ........ 2000 bucks

Same mileage interval
Take your pick

The Cap'n

Hey, stop injecting reality into my fantasy! bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif
1bad914
My son has had many Vr6 cars, he knows them very well. I'm going to call him about the motor.

lotus_65
popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 7 2007, 10:25 AM) *

If that "low mileage" is anywhere over 70K, replace the conveniently located timing chains and assorted bits before you do the swap. It's a more than one day job when it's in the car, and a known problem. The Cap'n

As an owner of a VR6 (love it-hate it) Passat I'd pick another motor! I've put $7k into that motor, ith only 72K miles on it. Why, it's my wifes car & she love it. But, one more dime & the car gets donated! When it runs right, it runs like stink. But, when it doesn't - it's expensive. Don't need Ferrari-like problems in a Porsche, particulary since it doesn't pusch huge hp. There are better motors.
okieflyr
Since your son knows his way around the VR6, he could set up your engine managment. Save your money on the Kennedy adapter/clutch set up. With the power you'll have, you may not be happy with the stock 901 gearing. I used their setup, and it worked fine, but with the new level of power, I wanted a stronger trans.(flame suit on) You "may" be able to bolt up a Passat tranny and have better gearing. BUT check out if there are ANY differences in the blocks FIRST. My 1.8T transverse block is not going to bolt up to my newly built up Passat trans upgrade. I'm going to have to get a longitudinal Passat 1.8t block to finish my upgrade.
Gary
I floated the question of a VR6 conversion a little while back: VR6 thread. I think a more robust boxster or audi tranny will bolt up, eliminating the 901 as a weak link. Never got past the concept stage though...
bernbomb914
I think that muller said that it was to big and would not fit with out a lot of work. measure it before you invest
effutuo101
Having been a VR6 owner and some what jaded, I wouldn't bother. Besides the over heating issues, the oil pickup is to close to the bottom of the oil pan and is prone to starve the engine of oil. Ask me how I know and I will tell you how much I don't like that motor. If you are going to stay VW. go with the TDI or the 2.0 Turbo. Much better return on investment is my thought. If the suby flat 4 TDI motor is all it is cracking up to be, that might be another though.
neo914-6
Here's Muellers thread
newto914s
Aren't they sticking some version of the VR6 in the Cheapy Cayenne? If so, then technically he'd still be able to run in PCA events right?
jd74914
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Dec 7 2007, 10:03 PM) *

My 1.8T transverse block is not going to bolt up to my newly built up Passat trans upgrade. I'm going to have to get a longitudinal Passat 1.8t block to finish my upgrade.

Interesting, I though all 1.8T's were transverse? That means you cannot swap a Gofl 1.8T into a Passat unless you have the Golf trans? Are the mounting points on the blocks the same?

okieflyr
Well I finally got the trans to mount to my block this weekend. I was in doubt earlier this week, and called one of my parts yard guys. I was told that the block/trans mounting patterns were different.
He evidently he told me wrong, cause it mated today. piratenanner.gif
The Golfs are transverse mounted, and the Passats are longitudinal mounted from about 1999 and up. They share most but not all of the same castings and mount points on the block. There is a difference in the bolt pattern for the oil pans

[quote name='okieflyr' post='974832' date='Dec 7 2007, 10:03 PM']
My 1.8T transverse block is not going to bolt up to my newly built up Passat trans upgrade. I'm going to have to get a longitudinal Passat 1.8t block to finish my upgrade.
[/quote]

Interesting, I though all 1.8T's were transverse? That means you cannot swap a Gofl 1.8T into a Passat unless you have the Golf trans? Are the mounting points on the blocks the same?
[/quote]
LarryR
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 7 2007, 06:50 AM) *

I am pretty sure that Kennedy makes and adapter plate for the Vr6 to the 901. I am also pretty sure that to make it work, you will be loosing your rear trunk (which is not a big deal to some people, and is for others. And as long as you are loosing the rear trunk, you have room for a turbo or supercharger - which the Vr6 loves as much as pigs love stink. Its a neat way to keep the 914 in the "family" and still have a wicked fast car.

Zach

agree.gif If Kennedy does not have it they can make it.
Gary
QUOTE(newto914s @ Dec 8 2007, 12:19 PM) *

Aren't they sticking some version of the VR6 in the Cheapy Cayenne? If so, then technically he'd still be able to run in PCA events right?

Yup. 290HP. Would scoot along pretty well I think. The 3.6 is also in the Passat and Q7 (only 276HP), and rumored to be coming in aluminum block form in the next souped up TT.
1bad914
I read Muellers thread, it was great until it just stopped...did I miss something?
VaccaRabite
Mike sold the teener and all the project stuff he was working on. He lurs around here sometimes, maybe he will chime in.

Zach
jd74914
If you email Mike he will get back to you. I asked him some questions about an interesting TB a few weeks ago and he was very helpful smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.