Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank question(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
So the 76 with the 2.7 has been sitting a while, and there is varnish in the tank. I can smell it the second I open it up. I am sure that there is rust in there too.

Question is: Aside from the top of the tank being a little different, is there any functional differences between the earlier and later gas tanks? I.e. could I swap in a know clean early tank? I think that this will be faster than trying to get the old tank cleaned out. I am doing that with the capri and it's a pain in the ass.

If so, anyone in SoCal have a gas tank for sale cheap? biggrin.gif
McMark
The tanks are the same in all years. It's the expansion tank that is different. Getting a spare to fix up is a good idea, but don't assume it's clean. Get a spare and clean it out and coat it, or send it out for galvanizing. Then install it. Maybe some new steel lines at the same time. wink.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2007, 07:20 PM) *

The tanks are the same in all years. It's the expansion tank that is different. Getting a spare to fix up is a good idea, but don't assume it's clean. Get a spare and clean it out and coat it, or send it out for galvanizing. Then install it. Maybe some new steel lines at the same time. wink.gif

Glad they are the same.

I know another tank may be no picnic either, but I have to believe that a clean dry one will be a little better than the one I am working with now. I hate muriatic acid sad.gif
Allan
Just take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it for you.

Just make sure you're ready to throw a coat of paint on it when you bring it home and get it installed as soon as possible and get gas in it to help prevent flash rust.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 10 2007, 07:49 PM) *

Just take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it for you.

Just make sure you're ready to throw a coat of paint on it when you bring it home and get it installed as soon as possible and get gas in it to help prevent flash rust.

I tried to do that with my capri, and all the local shops that do that are gone. Found one, somewhat close and they wanted $200! F-That! If it were $70ish, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but not $200. That's just nuts.
Allan
[quote name='KaptKaos' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:50 PM' post='975730']
[quote name='Headrage' post='975729' date='Dec 10 2007, 07:49 PM']
I tried to do that with my capri, and all the local shops that do that are gone. Found one, somewhat close and they wanted $200! F-That! If it were $70ish, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but not $200. That's just nuts.
[/quote]

That's insane. How soon do you need it?

I come through L.A. every week and could swing by and pick it up and have it done here for $50 - $70 and drop it off the following week.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Headrage @ Dec 10 2007, 07:55 PM) *

That's insane. How soon do you need it?

I come through L.A. every week and could swing by and pick it up and have it done here for $50 - $70 and drop it off the following week.

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

You rock Allan. I think I found one locally for a few $$, so I will likely go that route. If that falls through, I will be sure to let you know. Thanks again!
Allan
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 11 2007, 08:04 AM) *

You rock Allan.

agree.gif av-943.gif
narino
Joe,

Who did you find to do it? I'm in L.A., and would like to get my tank cleaned as well.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(narino @ Dec 11 2007, 01:46 PM) *

Joe,

Who did you find to do it? I'm in L.A., and would like to get my tank cleaned as well.

Jorge, I forget. I didn't have them do it. I went and bought muriatic acid and did it myself. The stuff is nasty, so be careful. I'm still not done. Another project has gotten in the way of the Capri happy11.gif
ahdoman
Hey Joe -
Just to get things working why not use a smaller temp fuel tank? Hook up the gas can you use for the lawnmower.
bperry
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 10 2007, 09:20 PM) *

I don't think this is entirely correct. I believe that the tanks are identical but there
is a difference with some mounting tabs that are welded on the tank relating to the
expansion tank and charcoal canister that are different.

I attached a picture that shows the area that I believe is different.

Click to view attachment

--- bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.