Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Knob has me stumped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
familienauto
I had some time today so I was doing some little stuff on the 914 - I did successfully take the fuel gauge apart and fix the little bezel that had fallen off inside. That was fun slap.gif

Anyway, ever since I took the shift knob off when I redid the carpet I haven't been able to get it back on as tightly as it used to be. I have the standard shift knob and the little original metal crush sleeve. If I put the crush sleeve on the shifter and then push the knob on, it stays loose. If I drop the crush sleeve in the knob and try to push it on, I can't get it on...maybe I am just not pushing hard enough? Or maybe I need a new crush sleeve? Are they a 1-time use item?

Thank you for answering my dumb questions.

Zach
914-8
They can sometimes be reused, but they do wear out. A new one is like $2.
RoadGlue
Hi Zach,

My stock shift knob uses two of the crush sleeves. Could it be that you're just missing one? If it wasn't loose when you removed it, then I doubt anything was too worn out.
davep
I don't think you should be using two crush sleeves; I've never seen that.
The whole thing is a familiar problem, but I cannot recall my solution years ago.
I think when you put the sleeve on the lever it slides down out of place.
I think when you put the sleeve in the knob it is too tight to get started.
What you might do is use a bit of crazy glue to hold the sleeve to the tip of the lever, and then put the knob on.
Or you might try the sleeve just started on the tip of the lever, but mostly in the knob when you start; that should allow it to go all the way into the knob and remain started on the lever. Yes, you may have to use considerable force.
Eric_Shea
Just did this two weeks ago. Seperate it slightly and put it "just" inside the knob. Push. Tighten with a back and forth movement while pushing. Enjoy.
rhodyguy
there is also a slight "step" in the very bottom of the hole. sometimes the sleeve may be hung up on the step and it doesn't snug up when you push the knob on.

k
Jeffs9146
Be gentle! The knob will crack if done wrong!
stevesc_us
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 11 2007, 11:14 AM) *

Be gentle! The knob will crack if done wrong!

Truer words were never spoken. Heed the advice. I cracked my original six knob years ago by being too forceful when attempting to put it back on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.