Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixing the rocker covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Here's what I started with. Rust in the area under the opening for the jack plate.

Click to view attachment

Because there are some compound curves I decided to fill a small amount with welding and cut the rusty metal from the flatter area.

Click to view attachment
DNHunt
I cut out the bad metal.

Click to view attachment

Then I bent and hammered a replacement piece. I just tacked it tonight and I'll finish welding and grinding tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

Dave
McMark
drooley.gif

Nice Dave!!! thumb3d.gif
DNHunt
Finished 1 side, at least it's ready for primer and filler.

Click to view attachment

Inside

Click to view attachment

Dave
Gint
You're getting pretty good at that Dave.
DNHunt
Here's how I did it. I used a vice, a piece of 2X4 with 1 edge radiused to the curve at the bottom edge of the rocker cover, a piece of 1" galvanized pipe a ball peen hammer, my wire feed welder ad a grinder.

First I filled in a small area that was pitted. I didn't want to deal with compound curves if possible. I ground that down.

Click to view attachment

I then started making the repair piece. First I bent the bottom edge using the vice hammer and wooden block.

Click to view attachment
DNHunt
Then I measured from the center of that bend on the rocker cover to the bead on the edge. I transferred that to the ptch and bent that edge over the vice with the hammer.

Click to view attachment

Then I transferred the curve for the corner onto the patch by tracing it with a pencil. I added enough for the stengthening bead.

Click to view attachment
DNHunt
I cut the patch to length and added the mounting hole.

I cut out the area for the curves then used the galvanized pie and the hammer to shape the patch. This is the inner radius.

Click to view attachment

And the outer radius

Click to view attachment
DNHunt
This is what you end up with to be welded in.

Click to view attachment

Dave
rhodyguy
nice work dave.
DNHunt
Homemade paint booth in an unused greenhouse

Click to view attachment

Plenty of ventilation with the fans

Click to view attachment

Here's the primer sprayed on

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.