Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 6 with cis?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I am prolly goin to pick up a 2.7 with CIS, I am not sure if I know of a 914 running this.

Help me out on what it'll take to get this done.
iamchappy
I am running a cis 3.0 in my car, what do you need to know.
echocanyons
I guess you run a ECU with that?

Didja lose the rain tray?

Fitment issues?

Is it k-jetronic?
iamchappy
No rain tray, you must move the engine hood latch or hood pin it, I have a 79 cis 3.0 so no ecu, most of the wiring codes colors are the same. depending on which motor mount you have they sit up a little high, I have a stock 6 mount so I had to shave the ribs on the air intake boot, grind the back edge on the engine lid down and shaved a little off my rear trunk lids rear support beam to make it fit.
seanery
I had one in my car for a coupleadays. You gots to notch out the back of the engine bay/front of the trunk area a bit. Lemme see if I can find a pic.
seanery
I've got no pic of it, sorry.
echocanyons
So mods of the engine bay are necessary

Are cam mods necessary to run with carbs?
iamchappy
Here is a shot of the engine bay, my trunk is also notched out, I will look for another picture also.
seanery
it'll be wimpy (like a CIS system) if you keep the CIS carb. Give it some E or S cams and it'll liven up with Webers.
E-better street cam
S-better rever for a street/track or track car
Mike9142.0
Look for mountain914's car it has a 3.0 CIS and the trunk is not cut out for it to fit.
Mountain914
Correct - I've got the 3.0L w/CIS and no cutting.
Lots of pictures at My Webpage
and especially at: My Rennlist Gallery (big resolution pictures, too).
No experience with the 2.7, sorry. I live at 9300 feet and thought C.I.S. would be a good thing, but am having troubles with the WUR (Warm Up Regulator), at least I think that's the problem. It doesn't start well but once it does it goes great. It's just been too cold to troubleshoot.
Anyway - the CIS is good, but I keep hearing the 3.2 FI is better. I've got no complaints though and I don't get the fuel smells, starvation on corners, and other things that are sometimes (not always) associated with carbs. My car was carbed at one time but I'm sticking with the CIS.
seanery
this is a V8 car, but the notch is similar (a little bigger than a 2.7 CIS needs) to what needs to be done.
IPB Image
Mountain914
No cutting is necessary
No rain tray
Here is how I keep the engine lid closed (one clip each side):
J P Stein
Webers work fine with the stock cams.....even give you a bit of hp (10 or so) & mucho better throttle response.

Forgot about changing to any cams with much overlap....T, E, Solex or S. The valbes won't clear the pistons with any of these.
Carrera916
I believe the CIS pistons aren't quite compatiable with the carb set up as these were bascially designed to create certain twirl of air movement with the injectors. It's can be run but not great.

j
echocanyons
Great info.

That really looks like a tight fit Mountain looks like a clean job though

What fuel pump should be utilized? Stock 914/4?

I wonder if the engine could be mounted an inch or so lower?

So S cams wont work with this I noticed on Web-Cam's site they had a special grind for the 2.7 but they are spendy

I guess these are smogged how does one de-smog them?
J P Stein
`With the bulkhead type engine mount, you drop the front of the motor "a bit"...mines down about 1/2 inch for clearance of my "billet is better" air cleaners. I could have gone "a bit" more.

"Smogged"?....detuned would be a better term, but...

RS spec P/Cs (or better), E or Solex cams, Webers....Bingo, 200+ hp. I know a couple guys that have just added Webers. Nice torque with a nice lineal hp curve....maybe 175 hp....but they run out of steam about 6K.
seanery
duh, you're right about the pistons, we put in RS pistons in my car.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jan 3 2004, 09:05 PM)
What fuel pump should be utilized? Stock 914/4?

I wonder if the engine could be mounted an inch or so lower?

So S cams wont work with this I noticed on Web-Cam's site they had a special grind for the 2.7 but they are spendy

you need a CIS fuel pump. CIS runs at about 60 psi and i don't believe the /4 pump can handle both the pressure andthe required volume. the CIS filter is also substantially different - CIS is VERY sensitive to water in the fuel and the filters are designed to trap and retain water - in addition to being metal-cased to contain the pressures.

i haven't looked at WebCam's site, but figure about $1000/pr for 911 cams. more if you need to change to 4-bearing cam towers, yet more if you need to use pistons with adequate valve reliefs...

i have seen a conversion /6 with the engine mounted lower for this very issue ... (the Bradster had one...)
iamchappy
My 2cents. the cis engines work fine ,but you will need all the plumbing the engine originally came with. fuel pump, accumulator, and filter. Smooth drivability the Cis engine will provide. and it does fit with a little help here and there.
If I was looking for a higher hp engine because the stock performance of a 2.7 or 3.0 is not enough for you in a 914, I would search out a 3.2 or already modified engine with the hp numbers your looking for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.