Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine transplant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sallachie
Hello. I'm new to the forum, and to 914s. I recently bought a '73 914 that is a project car. Pan is solid, but someone has put a nice rollcage in the car and cut of the sail panels. I've picked up a 911 front suspension and spare side shifts.
I want to put a V8 in to the car, but which one? I've got a line on an Olds 215. It's a light engine, but limited parts available. I'm making a street toy with a bit of autocrossing. I want it to beat my '73 Datsun 240Z, which is pretty quick.
Any opinions???
SirAndy
welcome.png

if you have some money to spare, go with a create 350 ... reliable, solid, *new* and plenty of umpf ...

i'm a firm believer in "do it once, do it right" ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Sallachie
I thought about a 350, but a couple concerns;

350 weighs #550 compared to #200 stock 1.8L

Will the side shift transaxle handle the torque of a 350?

I thought that I'd ask people who actually own similar cars and check for opinions. Try and learn from other peoples experience...

Thanks

Click to view attachment
toon1
Ton's and ton's and TON'S of info in the search.

V-8 conversions are popular, the 901 trans. will handle the HP. If you have acess to a subaru engine, they produce alot of HP and the handling will be the same since it's a flat 4.

Your choice, welcome.png
jimkelly
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/indexx.html#

everything you need for v8 or subaru conversion is right here.

just don't forget to upgrade your suspension and brakes.

jim
marks914
It all depends on what you want to get out of the car...
If you are looking for cheap, and you can fab a bit, go with the 215
The SBC is usually the V8 of choice because of the availability of kits to install them.
I used a desert hybrids conversion www.deserthybrids.com (seen on '08 Hot Rod)./ I tried to buy some stuff from Renegade, but it was too much of a hassle.
Kennedy Engineering makes tons of adapters and clutches for conversions
http://www.kennedyeng.com/

The stock trans is good for 300 ft/lb of torque, but the gears are a tad short.
I am running a 400+HP Chevy 302 in mine, high HP, low torque with the 901 trans with tall gears.
The cars are alot more fun with a V8 in my opinion. I did the 302 because it revs like a mother and drives more like a porsche than a torquey 350.

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
GS Guy
Hey Mark,
Not so sure about the 302 Chebby being easy on the 914 trans anymore.....
Anyone see the latest PHR magazine with the Engine Masters Challenge? One crew entered a 302 Chev. - Eagle crank, AFR heads and a big whopp'n cam - 340ft/lbs @ 2500 - it went up from there maxing at 425 @ 5400! 498hp @ 6500. blink.gif blink.gif idea.gif

That's one bas-a$$ 302! Runs on pump gas too!

Wonder if a Toyota/Lexus V8 cold be shoehorned in?

Jeff
Sallachie
That's a very nice 302. The 302 is a 289 block with a 327 crank? Special pistons/rods for that combo? I was going to go with a Kennedy adapter, but they have such a selection it makes for many choices.
I want to keep the car a driver. I was thinking a bit of a rough idle (280-ish duration), but I must have the V8 sound. I also wanted 180 degree headers, similar to a Pantera. I do all fab, mechanical, and bodywork myself. I didn't want to spend $10K on an engine, and not over power the 914 transaxle. Custom speed parts for Porsche can be stupid expensive, and I'd like to build the car for about $10K max.
Aero body kit by http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com I thought someone has already hacked my car, so just work with it.

I want my 914 to beat a Datsun 240Z!

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Sallachie @ Dec 28 2007, 11:53 AM) *

i did that with my stock d-jet 1.7L 914 !!! shades.gif

but it did involve curves and real driving, not the straightline dragging ...
driving.gif Andy
marks914
QUOTE(Sallachie @ Dec 28 2007, 11:53 AM) *

That's a very nice 302. The 302 is a 289 block with a 327 crank? Special pistons/rods for that combo? I was going to go with a Kennedy adapter, but they have such a selection it makes for many choices.
I want to keep the car a driver. I was thinking a bit of a rough idle (280-ish duration), but I must have the V8 sound. I also wanted 180 degree headers, similar to a Pantera. I do all fab, mechanical, and bodywork myself. I didn't want to spend $10K on an engine, and not over power the 914 transaxle. Custom speed parts for Porsche can be stupid expensive, and I'd like to build the car for about $10K max.
Aero body kit by http://www.betterbodiesmotorsport.com I thought someone has already hacked my car, so just work with it.

Click to view attachment

The 302 is a real DZ, 1178 forged 3" stroke large journal crank, 302 block (same as a 327-350) 302 pistons cut down to 10.4:1 so I can run it on pump gas. It has a more Porsche feel than a 350. A 283 or 327 are good choices as well as being a bit less expensive.
I kept the power up high so that when it comes on I am already moving.
The sound is what really wakes people up though.
Mark
Katmanken
That's a front spoiler I haven't seen before.

Any clue where it comes from?

If it's flexy, it's probably off a production car (not 914)

Ken
Sallachie
It's a fiberglass piece. One of my buddies thought it may be from a civic body kit part, but I really don't know. Someone obviously had plans for this car, but probably ran out of money, or talent. Works for me though...
It's currently running with one Weber, but the brakes stick. I bought the car and a truck load of parts for $550, then drove it on the trailer. I haven't started this 914 project as I'm currently invloved with a mini. I'm trying to get all the parts in place before I start on the Porsche. People say that the transaxle can handle 300hp, but a weak 1st gear? I've looked at the trans and the gears inside, and I have reservations about pushing a heathly SBC into it. I've broken much bigger parts.
Twystd1
Me thinks thats a 1988 to 1991 Honda Accord "aftermarket" front air dam.

I have also seen something similar on 90s vintage BMW 325, 320s and 318s.

Hmmmmmm... That makes me think of some more possibilities.

Clayton
michaelt55
Done right..a 215 is a great balanced powerplant. I have one...
Its 200 + HP and only 40 -50 lbs heavier than a stock 4....

Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.