Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's Official...I can be part of your club now!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Britain Smith
Well, I finally made the decision to purchase a 914. Well, it was actually a quick decision made because the engine in my daily driver ('90 Acura Legend) took a crap and I need something to motor 5 miles down the road to work every day. Brad pointed my towards that amazingly original '70 914 1.7L that was in the classified, so I went to see it and drove it home. I must say, this is one of the most complete, unmolested cars that I have seen in a long time. I didn't even know that there was a blue light that lights up when the fan is turned on...I wish my 912 was that nice. Just for everyone to know, I am not going to chop, cut, or otherwise change any part of this car...it will stay as original as I can keep it.

The best part is that my fiance likes the car and enjoyed driving up in the hills with it earlier today. Heck, she even drove it a bit herself which is a giant leap in the direction of her soon to be realized addiction to Porsche's. I just wish the spring would come so we could have some get togethers.

Check out this pics:
Britain Smith
another
Britain Smith
driving in the hills...
Britain Smith
The hardest question...which do I like better??
Eric Taylor
Very nice britan! I really like that car. I didn't know there was a blue light either! DOH more crap to fix.
Eric
Andyrew
Congrats and cool!!!

clap56.gif
driving.gif

Andrew

Oh and I personally think that flip up lights are cool. so you have my vote. wink.gif
Jeroen
that's one clean looking car!!!

congrats and enjoy

cheers,

Jeroen
r_towle
Someone already changed the wheels!!!

You need the original steel wheels, much nicer, sturider and really the original look with the shiny chrome hubcaps...

Rich
Andyrew
Kill Rich! rolleyes.gif Wheels look good, keep them as auto x wheels and put some sticky's on them and drive around in steel's if you want to be a CW about it...

I think its just fine the way it is

Andrew
Britain Smith
I am actually getting the original steel wheels for the car...they are up at HPH. Those fuchs have some nice Toyo Proxy's on them and if I could get it done for cheap, I would switch the tires with my 5-lug fuchs on my 912.

-Britain

More pictures of the car can be found here:
My New 914
ChrisReale
Bastard! laugh.gif That is a nice car! How do you like those Yoko's?
Britain Smith
For a car that is original, with no sway bars and no suspension upgrades...it drove quite nice in the hills. Granted, I wasn't pushing my brand new car that hard, but it kept up...it only has a 1.7L!! The engine actually pulls quite nice and will work well to and from work every day.

-Britain
redshift
Congrats on the fan light!

smile.gif

Nice looking car buddy! Welcome!

M
L8Apex
Am I color blind ,or did the car change from orange to red in the last 2 pics?
campbellcj
Damn-- that's a clean one!

Is it Phoenix Red, or one of the orange varieties?
3d914
Congrats Britain,

You have the envy of all us teener owners who strive to keep them original. It doesn't always last, but we sure like to see them whenever they appear. mueba.gif

Good luck & enjoy!
Britain Smith
Nah...it is signal orange. My camera likes to make the colors look weird depending on what setting it is on.

-Britain
scotty
Am I color blind ,or did the car change from orange to red in the last 2 pics?

I think he got one with the rare special temperature sensitive color (L57T)

Very nice garage "set" you have there, Britain!
jonwatts
you suck
rick 918-S
Nice fine, Congrats!
VegasRacer
A chicken in every pot and a car two Porsches in every garage.     (Herbert Hoover)

Prosperity is on us. Must mean that 2004 is gonna be a good year.
Gint
Congratulations Britain. That's a nice car.
nebreitling
show the interior!! boldblue.gif
show the interior!! boldblue.gif

looks great, congrats!
Britain Smith
Here you go...someone recovered some of the peices, I plan to find orginals to put back in place.
Britain Smith
another...
Britain Smith
Look Ma...original battery tray...
Britain Smith
Oops...
Britain Smith
Front Truck...
redshift
=o0

interior

Mats: Woman's touch! lol2.gif

m
Mueller
hahahaha....and he thinks this will make us like him smile.gif

nice car there......when do we start making it better? smash.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 4 2004, 10:13 PM)
when do we start making it better? smash.gif

EXACTLY what i was thinking. i know Britain has "the itch" laugh.gif

he's too young to be a CW.
the only thing holding him back from butchering this car is brad holding that shotgun to his back. cool.gif

Andy
Andyrew
Batt tray needs Por 15.

Thats where I would start!

Andrew

Nice car! (again)
Gint
hahahaha....and he thinks this will make us like him

Fat chance. I came this close
IPB Image
to bying that car Saturday afternoon.
mikester
Brit, first off let me say this.

Nobody likes you.

Second,

Nice cars, especially the '14. As far as that interior of yours...looks better than original to me now.

Nice pics too (except for the color confustion).

Welcome to the club, hang around for a few meetings and then talk to someone about being your sponsor.
beerchug.gif
L8Apex
That car is awfully familiar. I saw an orange one just like yours, probably same year about 3 years ago. A Stanford Professor used to own it from day 1. He's maintained it and garaged it everyday and was looking to get 12K for it. It was all original and looked stunning. Hmm... Maybe same one?
ChrisReale
I think this is the one Brad was helping sell. It is a beauty
Britain Smith
Do you remember what his name was. I can dig up the original owners name on the title tomorrow. The story goes that the original owner put a deposit down for the car in '69 and took delivery when it arrived. He kept it his whole life and passed away a few years ago. His widowed wife sold it last May and I picked it up from the previous owner due to financial difficulty's. I guess I was at the right place at the right time and now I own a 914...

I can see this leading to a path of even further addiction. Now I just need to feel the real power of a 6-cylinder...maybe I should by a 911 also. Naw, I will get the turbo motor in my 912 done and then see how much a really want/need a 911.

-Britain
Curvie Roadlover
Is there a gauge mounted on the glove box door?
Nice car!
skline
The lights, steering wheel and shift knob are not stock either, but they really look great on the car. The only thing I would change would be adding sway bars to it. Super nice driver, good find and a good buy. Very clean car. Welcome to the addiction.
Britain Smith
Yea...those are small details that can be changed easily. I am just happy that the wiring harness is intact, the paint is original, and everything on it works. I believe that I am getting the stock steering wheel and shift knob, but I don't remember. On...the previous owner put in a clock on the glove box door and a AM/FM radio (but there is no antenna).

Any recommendations on sway bars? Will that retract from the car's orginality?

-Britain
nebreitling
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jan 5 2004, 09:28 AM)
Any recommendations on sway bars? Will that retract from the car's orginality?

-Britain

it would to me, slightly.

you'll just have to buy another 14 to hot rod!
L8Apex
I don't remember his name, but i remember him being very old. I think he was german by his accent. I really do think this is the same car.
fiid
There was a factory sway bar on some models. There are sway bars that sit under the car that I believe can be added without cutting the body. The regular ones go through the body just under the gas tank, and require a couple of holes to be made.
Scott S
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jan 4 2004, 07:05 PM)
I didn't even know that there was a blue light that lights up when the fan is turned on...

It took me forever to get that sucker to work (as well the red one on the other side of the heater controls)!!!!!

Neato car. Painted steel wheels and a professional buff job would be killer. Is the motor clean? If not can it be cleaned?

Preservation class!!! clap56.gif

Sorry - I love the CW stuff........ pray.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Jan 5 2004, 10:25 AM)
There are sway bars that sit under the car that I believe can be added without cutting the body.

yupp, get a 9eleben sway bar that mounts under the body.
just bolts on, non-adjusteable, but still better than no swaybar. wink.gif

Andy
Scott S
Andy -
Does that work? I had what i thought was an Addco sway bar on my car that bolted under the body. It was bent by the towing company when I initially brought the car home. I wasn't aware that the later year 911 bars worked (I thought I had to use the 911 a-arms and such). Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Britain Smith
The previous owners name for those who were interested was Maneiro Herman Alvarez and he lived in Daly City Ca when he bought the car on 09/24/70.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Andy, that sway bar wont work. His arms dont have the "loops" for the bar.

Leave it alone. Drop it and have it aligned. Get the tires in the fenderwells where they belong.

With proper torsion bars and rear springs.. the car wouldnt need sway bars.

B
boxstr
I agree with B don't start changing an original car, you won't be able to go back. Buy another one for a hot rod.
CCLINCWMODE
Britain Smith
I already have a hot rod...my 2.3L turbo 912. In the case of this car...I plan to not touch it a single bit. Just keep it running straight done the road. I might lower it a bit to increase the "safety" but I won't start hacking into the body with sway bars and such. Brad keeps putting me back in my place and reminding me that I need to focus on finishing my 912.

-Britain
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.