914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
Worth a thousand less.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif
Root_Werks
I was thinking that same thing.
jbyron
Really? A 6-cyl & trans can be had for $1,400 ish? I haven't been hanging around these boards very long, but that surprises me.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jbyron @ Dec 29 2007, 08:13 PM) *

Really? A 6-cyl & trans can be had for $1,400 ish? I haven't been hanging around these boards very long, but that surprises me.

If it is like that one is yes. The 2.2 really isn't very special. Now if it was a true 914-6 engine or a 2.7 or 2.4 or something else the price may be more true. However, Zenith's aren't great, 2.2 not great, not much to offer here. I'd rather have a 2.0l four than that.
J P Stein
It pays to *know* your 9eleben engines before you even think about buying one.
This is especially true of one you can't see & hear run.
Just because it has Porsche on the cam covers doesn't mean it's gold.
BK911
If you take a 2.2T engine and add a 2.4 crank and rods, you get a 2.4T with slightly higher compression than a 2.4S. It will be a very nice street engine. Add an E cam and you have an engine that will just flat out haul butt.

But don't tell anybody because I like being able to buy these cheap. Shhhhh.

beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea

Not cheap to repair all the carnage when the T pistons go slamming into the valves. biggrin.gif
degreeoff
agree.gif Yeah I was about to say ..... don't you have to add things like pistons/cylinders to that mix?
Eric_Shea
Shhhhhhhh don't tell anybody! (that's adds another 2 grand.5 not to mention the case will only hold up to that kind of punishment for about 2 years, not to worry, rebuilding 911 motors is cheap!) biggrin.gif
brant
yeah...
really cheap...
except for that 5K rebuild bill... it will be really cheap
woobn8r
Small displacement 911 core motors go regularly around here for about $1000.
901 trans...$800-$1000, 915 trans(mag case) $1500-$1800, (15 aluminum case) $1800-$2300
S.
BK911
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 31 2007, 12:11 PM) *

Not cheap to repair all the carnage when the T pistons go slamming into the valves. biggrin.gif

I wish you would have told me that before I built one and beat the heck out of it AX and DE for several years in a 70T Targa. I knew these engines were tough, but to last several seasons with the valves hitting the pistons? Wow, I have a new respect for them now. biggrin.gif

Stroking a 2.2T might give about 150ish hp. A stock 2.2S is 180. I'm pretty sure the S engine cases lasted more than 2 years.

No, you don't have to swap out the P/C's. You can add 2.2 pistons to a 2.4 for a bump in CR, or you can stoke a 2.2 to a 2.4 using just the 2.4 crank and rods. To go with an S cam you need to machine the pistons. With an E cam you definitely need to check, but I can't remember if the valve pockets need machining.

Remember, this is our little secret!

Happy new year!!

sheeplove.gif
911quest
All parts are considered cores unless proven otherwise....

this is the people's court. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
but I can't remember if the valve pockets need machining.

They do. So much so that two reputable engine builders I'd spoken with recommended against it. It leaves the piston dome dangerously thin.

I had a 2.2 and a 2.4 and researched this combo extensively.
brant
Also, people should know that putting the higher compression 2.2 pistons (T, E, or S) does not raise the actual working compression as much as is thought.

In theory it would raise compression over 1 point (1.5 as I remember)
but in Actual use it is much less than that and closer to only 1/2 point.

so that 2.4T with the 2.2T pistons is actually only slightly more compression than stock and no free lunch

rebuilding any 911 motor (even a stock 2.0T) is an expensive proposition
if your going to rebuild a 2.2 you can probably rebuild a 2.7 for nearly the same parts and labor

all motors not currently running are really just cores until you open them up and prove otherwise. Lots of times they can be started and used, but its really an unsafe gamble and I'd rather spend an extra thousand up front for a known runner than roll the dice.
BK911
A 2.2T piston has a little more displaced volume than a 2.4S piston. The dome is about the same but less valve pocket. So a 2.2T piston in a 2.4 will give a slightly higher CR as a 2.4S. This isn't something I read, it is something I measured in the shop. Add .5 for 2.2E and 1.0 for 2.2S. I had a spreadsheet with all the measurements but I can't find it now.

So a 2.4S has 8.5:1,
2.2T pistons on a 2.4 crank will give ~8.6
2.2E ~ 9.1:1
2.2S ~ 9.6:1

BA performance handbook states a measured 9.66:1 with 2.2S pistons and 2.4 crank. So I think my measurements are pretty close. biggrin.gif

I am heading downtown. I hope everybody has a nice and safe new years eve and new year.

Later.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.