Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, What lump have I got here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
woobn8r
I bought my '74 from a guy in (Boca Raton) Florida who thought this motor was "all that"....
however, I had planned a 3.2l conversion from the start.

I pulled the old lump out just before the cold set in, and I was tired of tripping over it (sitting beside my 914 in the garage). So, today I pulled off the tranny, starter, intake and exhaust...much more room now.

The case number is S112 004.101.102A...
...and the serial number is EC010852.

The PO said that it was a 1.8 case with 2.0 crank and rods, 96mm jugs and plugs (p/c), 280 High Performance cam (with performance lifters), and 1.8 heads flycut to 96mm. It also is reported to have lightened flywheel.

I can't post pics as my work computer does not allow mw to add software....which would enable me to resize pics....

Everything on this car says DISNEY.....in other words its all MICKEY MOUSE'd...
1/2 the bolts for everything in the car are missing...the ones that are there are not tight....they are also all different sizes....Kids!!!! Oh, and it leaked more oil than the Exxon Valdez....kid said it was either a main seal (not) or a galley plug (unconfirmed)

Good thing I planned a TOTAL rebuild huh.

Anyways If you can confirm the little info I have or have a comment on this forlorn 4 sillywinder lump...feel free to leave some comments!

Thanks,

Sean

davep
The ECxxxx engine number is definitely 1.8. As for the rest only a teardown and measure will confirm it. Basically it is a core and since you already have a six it won't have much value for you. I think the best you can hope for is someone local that needs it.

Why is it raining tonight?
orange914
o.e.m. jugs, what confirmed size -93, 94, 96mm-, how are the fins? are you interested in selling them?

now back to your regularly schedualed program biggrin.gif

mike
woobn8r
this is a fairly new rebuild... if it is as claimed, is that a decent set up?
Case and fins look clean and in very good repair....
woobn8r
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 28 2007, 09:38 PM) *

The ECxxxx engine number is definitely 1.8. As for the rest only a teardown and measure will confirm it. Basically it is a core and since you already have a six it won't have much value for you. I think the best you can hope for is someone local that needs it.

Why is it raining tonight?

Not raining in Newmarket....

Thanks for the Info Dave....I wonder if this could be the original mill the guy rebuilt? The longblock looks to be real fresh and clean...everything that bolts to it was a mess though....still, there's a VW bug guy around here that does bodywork....I wonder if he needs a boat anchor in trade...lol.

What's your schedule like this weekend?

S.
orange914
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Dec 28 2007, 06:59 PM) *

this is a fairly new rebuild... if it is as claimed, is that a decent set up?
Case and fins look clean and in very good repair....

the 71mm crank stroke (2.0) and 96mm (bored over 1.8 or 2.0 cylendars) seem to be a relitively popular dollar smart engine right now. do you have 3 or 4 intake manifold to head studs?

mike
woobn8r
Hi Mike,

Four (4) intake manifold to head studs....

Excuse my ignorance but....what is significant about that?

S.
VaccaRabite
4 means it is not a 2.0 head.
3 means it is.
2.0 heads are more desirable in some ways, less so in others.

Zach
davep
I don't have much engine serial data but that seems to match something in the VIN range of 10000. However, the engine in my own car is original but way out of sequence. So it is hard to know without a COA or the data written into the owners manual maintenance section. The 1.8 heads should not have required flycutting for 96mm cylinders. Only the 1.7 heads require bigger registers. Flycutting might be used to increase compression or clean up the mating surface.

Rain only lasted a short while thankfully, and dried up nicely. I was worried about it freezing. I'm around most of the weekend and until after New Years. You have my number?
woobn8r
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 29 2007, 11:57 AM) *

I don't have much engine serial data but that seems to match something in the VIN range of 10000. However, the engine in my own car is original but way out of sequence. So it is hard to know without a COA or the data written into the owners manual maintenance section. The 1.8 heads should not have required flycutting for 96mm cylinders. Only the 1.7 heads require bigger registers. Flycutting might be used to increase compression or clean up the mating surface.

Rain only lasted a short while thankfully, and dried up nicely. I was worried about it freezing. I'm around most of the weekend and until after New Years. You have my number?

PM sent!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.