Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best product for degreasing...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slackin' at work
The previous owner didn't worry too much about leaks. Ive replaced pushrod tube
seals and cover gaskets. nice and dry now.

I have SS exchangers... but the years of leaks have left there mark.
the engine is fairly clean but it's the heat exchangers which are nasty from the
top-end leaks.

Before I put the rest of the ductwork for the heat back on the car I want/need
to clean both the inside and outside of the exchangers. If I don't Im forever going
to be poisoned by the burning remnants of oil. yuck.

without removing them, what is the best way to get them nice and de-greased?
any products work better than other?

thanks!
-chris
SGB
Simple Grreen seems to work as well as a solvent based degreaser, IMO.
Bartlett 914
I have good luck using pressure washer concentrate. I use the Pink formula from Generac. I put it in a spray bottle and use it direct. Sometimes too strong. Be careful on Fiberglass and some painted surfaces. I don't let it dry. Really cuts grease and dirt. Solvent cleaners often get grease but not dirt.
Jax914
Easy Off Oven Degreaser worked amazingly. RESIST the urge to scrape with anything more than a plastic scrub brush. You may need to do a couple of application cycles, but it will work and will not damage the stainless.

HTH,

smontanaro
Couldn't you just take your heat exchangers to a machine shop and have them cooked in the hot tank?

Skip
jaminM3
agree.gif
I think to do it right you have to take them off the car, especially if you want to clean the inside too.

Just go to a pressure wand car wash and bring a can of engine degreaser. I couldn't find a shop that would let me put a trans case in the hot tank, so I did that and got great results thumb3d.gif
MrKona
Easy off oven cleaner worked for me. Several applications, light application of some extra fine steel wool in the tough spots, and finish it off with Mother's metal polish.

slackin' at work
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jan 4 2008, 12:54 PM) *

Couldn't you just take your heat exchangers to a machine shop and have them cooked in the hot tank?

what other kind of places would have a hot tank? we have no machine shops local.
(It is central VA dry.gif ). is this another name for a parts washer... or something
totally different?

I was hoping to keep them on, but I agree that getting inside with them on my be
a no-go.

SirAndy
brake cleaner ... thumb3d.gif

just make sure you're in a well ventilated area ...
icon8.gif Andy
stateofidleness
going along with the cleaning part

whats the best way to clean the engine and tranny case without damaging anything or getting into heavy dismantling?

is it safe to power wash? solvent? parts to avoid?
Tom
When I had my engine out for sealing and cleaning, I used a dawn product. I think it was called "power degreaser". Comes in a dark blue spray bottle and is kind of a gel type cleaner. Worked outstanding. Did require some re-application and mild scrubbing with a parts cleaner brush. Make sure you wear gloves tho'. Made the aluminum shine like new. Only used cold water to rinse, so if hot water is available it would be even better. Oh, be careful of getting it on paint. It will damage the paint.
Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jan 4 2008, 03:49 PM) *

whats the best way to clean the engine and tranny case without damaging anything or getting into heavy dismantling?

brake cleaner ...

shades.gif Andy
smokey
agree.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 4 2008, 11:01 PM) *

brake cleaner ...

shades.gif Andy

By my estimation, this is the 63rd post where Andy has recommended brake cleaner for somthing. If I recall correctly, he even likes it on toast and in his coffee. screwy.gif

poke.gif
PeeGreen 914
Hey... the stuff works well. At the shop I use to wrench at that was the #1 degreaser. It cuts through everything including paint. piratenanner.gif Really don't know of anything better to use without taking it out of the car. Just don't get high off the stuff. It smells nasty.
chris914
I use mineral spirits and a wire brush. It’s cheap and washes off with water. I put the mineral spirits in a squirt bottle. Then I rise with Simple Green. I also use a hose connected to the hot water from the sink in the garage. It is amazing how much the hot water makes a difference.
stateofidleness
the engine is out, was just wondering what people's approaches were to shiny new metal

brake cleaner eh?

use a lot? use sparingly?

will have to give that a try when i get home
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2008, 12:01 AM) *

brake cleaner ...

shades.gif Andy

I buy brake cleaner by the case...
John
Brake cleaner is great. I use it quite a bit for most everything, but I believe that there are some better products out there (cheaper).

I use Super Agitine in my 30 gal parts washer.

I use Castrol Super Clean in a 5 gal bucket as well. This stuff is real bad for skin and if left in, it will badly damage aluminum, but it takes burnt on oil and grease off better than brake cleaner.

I also use Dawn liquid dish soap in HOT water. That works well on a budget. At $3.00+ a can, brake cleaner can get expensive, so I have found a few alternatives.

I have used the Super Clean and Purple Power in a power washer and they do work well with HOT water (I have both hot and cold water faucets on the outside of my garage.)
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 5 2008, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2008, 12:01 AM) *

brake cleaner ...

shades.gif Andy

I buy brake cleaner by the case...

Has worked best for me as well, just be careful of painted surfaces. headbang.gif
stateofidleness
anything that works well with "room temp" or cold water? most likely will start with a 5 gallon bucket of hot water but itll get cool fast... or i may just have to do the whole "hook a hose up and go" type deal

now this is gonna sound SUPER noob but i dont know much about engines...
is there any part on the engine you dont want to get any of this cleaner/water into or on?
John
Be careful around electrical parts or plastic parts.
Chuck
I've also had good luck with a product called STEAM. It comes in aerosol cans. I usually pick it up at the local auto parts stores. Spray it on the parts, let it sit for a while and rinse. Real stuck-on stuff may need a few treatments and a rag.
Rusty
+1 for Easy Off. If stuff is especially baked-on, you can cover with a cheap tarp so it doesn't dry out while it soaks.

Also, I suspect that Easy Off is more environmentally friendly than brake cleaner... and that lemony smell is great for your car! biggrin.gif
MrKona
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jan 5 2008, 10:04 AM) *

+1 for Easy Off. If stuff is especially baked-on, you can cover with a cheap tarp so it doesn't dry out while it soaks.

Also, I suspect that Easy Off is more environmentally friendly than brake cleaner... and that lemony smell is great for your car! biggrin.gif

agree.gif

Brake cleaner make work well, but the smell and fumes are really potent. In addition, you have to think about environmental impact when you're cleaning an engine case and transmission. There are years of oil and dirt on that thing, and convenient as it may be, you really shouldn't hose it off right into your local sewer. That contaminated oil/water/solvent stew will eventually make it to a stream where cute little bugs and animals are busy living. Find someone with a pickup truck and bring the engine and transmission to your local self-serve car wash and go at it. Self serve car wash facilities are set up to capture and treat all that crud that's going to come off. ph34r.gif
SGB
Another place that will have a hot tank of caustic liquid (what easy-off does) is a Radiator repair business.
Gint
QUOTE(John @ Jan 5 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Brake cleaner is great. I use it quite a bit for most everything, but I believe that there are some better products out there (cheaper).

I use Super Agitine in my 30 gal parts washer.

I use Castrol Super Clean in a 5 gal bucket as well. This stuff is real bad for skin and if left in, it will badly damage aluminum, but it takes burnt on oil and grease off better than brake cleaner.

I also use Dawn liquid dish soap in HOT water. That works well on a budget. At $3.00+ a can, brake cleaner can get expensive, so I have found a few alternatives.

I have used the Super Clean and Purple Power in a power washer and they do work well with HOT water (I have both hot and cold water faucets on the outside of my garage.)

I went to Napa and negotiated for 3 cases of 12 cans of brake cleaner at $1.00 a can. At that price it's a deal. And I have real solvent in my parts tank. And a bottle of Super Clean on the bench. And Dawn dishwashing detergent under the sink.

It's been years since I tried Simple Green. I should pick up a bottle of that stuff too.
StratPlayer
I used brake cleaner on my SS exchangers and the look like new, I use brake clearner on everything.
tracks914
Castrol Super Clean, hot water and a pressure washer. Be careful though, it is so strong it will eat your finger prints off if you use it bare hands for a prolonged period of time. (hour or more)
Brake cleaner is my second choice but it kills brain cells way too fast and way to fun. Either way, if you find something that works well it probably isn't going to be good for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.