Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of my engine build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
here we go
PeeGreen 914
Oh suuuuuure... You just wanted to show off again happy11.gif Not that I can complain drooley.gif . That looks sooooo nice.
DanT
No really...."Stateofidleness" PMed me asking for some pics...

but I do like to show off my little home built 2056 biggrin.gif
Nor.Cal.914
Is that a deep sump kit?
yarin
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ Jan 10 2008, 05:04 PM) *

Is that a deep sump kit?

Tuna can. Get's the job done as long as you don't try to drive it into a sidewalk or rock.

Most track guys prefer some type of extended pickup / oil starvation solution.
orange914
QUOTE(yarin @ Jan 10 2008, 02:27 PM) *

Is that a deep sump kit?

Tuna can. Get's the job done as long as you don't try to drive it into a sidewalk or rock.

there should be no issues installing that tuna can on the engine when it's in the car, is there?

mike
DanT
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jan 10 2008, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(yarin @ Jan 10 2008, 02:27 PM) *

Is that a deep sump kit?

there should be no issues installing that tuna can on the engine when it's in the car, is there?

mike

Nope
McMark
The tuna can is higher than the mount bar. So if you hit your tuna can, you've got bigger problems. happy11.gif
DanT
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 11 2008, 10:30 AM) *

The tuna can is higher than the mount bar. So if you hit your tuna can, you've got bigger problems. happy11.gif

exactly...even my headers hang down lower than the tuna can. smile.gif
here is a pic of the motor before the rebuild....yucky

as you can see the headers and the motor bar are lower than the tuna can....yes it is in there. biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
The bolt that runs down the middle of the tuna can can destroy your engine case if it is over-torqued (spec is <10lbs), so use new crush washers and be carefull!
Also, the pick-up tube is sometimes too long, so it must be grinded to fit...again, be carefull during instal.
beerchug.gif
Orange you glad you asked? biggrin.gif
DanT
the pickup being too long happened several years ago, they had a batch that got machined too long...
All of the newer ones I have seen are the correct length.
Chris is right, be careful about how much torque you put on the center bolt.
orange914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jan 11 2008, 11:06 AM) *

The bolt that runs down the middle of the tuna can can destroy your engine case if it is over-torqued (spec is <10lbs), so use new crush washers and be carefull!
Also, the pick-up tube is sometimes too long, so it must be grinded to fit...again, be carefull during instal.
beerchug.gif
Orange you glad you asked? biggrin.gif

well...
the only dumb question is the one not asked, but...
i've been told that doesnt hold true for me biggrin.gif

how did you check for clearance of oil pick-up length? is the pick up an extention, what does it look like

thanks, mike
DanT
the oil pickups were too long and the "can" would not seat and seal properly.
It is a matter of feel when you put it all together...placing everything together and then making sure the can is sitting flush before tightening the center bolt.
don't have a pic of the actual pickup
McMark
From our friends at Pelican Parts.

The extension is on the left.
stateofidleness
thank you so much sir
ill post some pics of my 2.0L and maybe you can help me out with stuff that looks "out of place" on it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.