Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine tin screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I didn't post this in the "nailed" thread on engines, beacuse no one seems to go to those threads anymore (should I "un-nail those?").

On another thread, in another forum, McMark stated that ALL sheet metal screws used were slotted (not trying to make trouble here), but I believe that to be incorrect.

The upper engine tin screws on my 72, which are original to the car, are NOT slotted. Further, they are "cad" plated, and Phillips type screws.

Anyone else with an early car want to step in here to make a statement?
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Would we be talking about fasteners that look like those depicted in the attachment below?
type4org
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 12 2008, 09:39 PM) *

I didn't post this in the "nailed" thread on engines, beacuse no one seems to go to those threads anymore (should I "un-nail those?").

I find very long threads, like the nailed ones tend to become, very unwieldy. They take very long to load, especially when they contain many pictures. Even clicking on the small icon to jump to the latest reply doesn't help much since everything on that page still needs to load.

Not sure what can be done about it. IMHO for "reference" topics such as the nailed ones we have now it would be perfectly OK for the moderator to go in and reduce the postings to a representative set and remove duplication or inappropriate posts, if this is possible. That would greatly increase the usefulness of those reference threads.

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(type4org @ Jan 13 2008, 02:47 AM) *

Not sure what can be done about it. IMHO for "reference" topics such as the nailed ones we have now it would be perfectly OK for the moderator to go in and reduce the postings to a representative set and remove duplication or inappropriate posts, if this is possible. That would greatly increase the usefulness of those reference threads.

agree.gif

I think the "nailed" threads should be a reference source only, added to and then "sanctified" by Brother Pat as appropriate for the topic heading.

Paul
slackin' at work
My early 72 has phillips heads securing the inner case-side of the sheet metal.
all others seem to be the typical cheesheads.
TJB/914
I checked the Porsche parts book & they call out cheese heads like this.

T
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Jan 13 2008, 06:10 PM) *

THIS is what I'm talking about! Though, mine go beyond the inner case-side. These are "panhead" screws & show in PET. Admittedly, after researching my records (I have the part sticker for every factory replacement part I've ever used) I did find that I had replaced all these screws in '79. Partnos N 010 705 2, N 014 139 5, M 010 704 2 and N 014 142 3 were all ordered from Porsche (an example of my "tome" is attached. These were the replacement screws available at the time.

I do have a full collection of "cheeseheads" for use on the underside & other areas of the tin, but the "panheads" were up top.

Here's a pic of one of the screws ordered in '79.
Pat Garvey
And, here's what they look like - sorta. Always have problems taking close up pics inside the engine bay.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Redone/refreshed/restored tin w/'70 spec fasteners.......
Cap'n Krusty
I worked at a dealership in 1973 and 1974, where I was the low man on the totem pole. That meant I was the 914/912/356 guy. I never saw a Phillips head screw anywhere on the engine tin. There's ONE cap screw, the one on the forward facing surface of the interface of the left and right front engine tin. The first use of Phillips head engine tin screws I recall was on 1977 and newer VW busses. It was a welcome sight to a guy who believes in putting all the hardware back on an engine. The Cap'n
Pat Garvey
To say I'm perplexed would be an understatement. To say I'm a questioning the responses would also fit. To say that no one in the entire world knows every bit & piece of this particular car like I do would also be correct. I'd roughly estimate that I have more than 2500 hours in the engine bay & underside (probably way more) over the years. I know this 914 & I am the original owner.

When I replaced these fasteners, they were ordered from the microfische at my local dealer. They are an exact match to those that were replaced. Yes, I've kept every replaced fastener for everything, unless it was stripped (got that from my grandfather - tight German). I have the original panhead fasteners that were replaced - they are "phillips" type, though many others (most) are cheeseheads.

So, how can it be that my 72 is the ONLY 914 out there that EVER used these fasteners? They match with PET also. And - I am the only person to touch the motor since it went out of warranty, other than removing the heads & having a friend put new valve guides in them.

I have a stash of new cheeseheads that I COULD just screw in (I always buy three times what I need!), that came with the same order for panheads. Yeah, I could do that, but it wouldn't be original to my 914 - and that bothers me too.

So, if I go to the Charlotte Parade, in the restoration class - someone is likely to either gig me for incorrect fasteners or question me about them (and this whole thing will come up again).

Do I stay with my conviction, or give in to consensus (though I feel the consensus is wrong)?

Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate your responses. Just don't agree.
Pat
TJB/914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 14 2008, 02:05 PM) *

I worked at a dealership in 1973 and 1974, where I was the low man on the totem pole. That meant I was the 914/912/356 guy. I never saw a Phillips head screw anywhere on the engine tin. There's ONE cap screw, the one on the forward facing surface of the interface of the left and right front engine tin. The first use of Phillips head engine tin screws I recall was on 1977 and newer VW busses. It was a welcome sight to a guy who believes in putting all the hardware back on an engine. The Cap'n

Hi Pat,
I agree with Cptn. Krusty and feel your pain. My take on this, the parts guy was lazy when you ordered parts & he reached into the VW bin to fill your order. That's what under paid shop rats do & don't give a dam as long as it fits the hole.
I know you are right about ordering the parts from Porsche & we believe you. It's also a huge burden to convenience the judges if they notice Phillips head screws when judging your car so change them out to slotted screws. It's called going with the flow & having fun at Parade. popcorn[1].gif

I am sure 99.99% of the 914's came from the factory with slotted head cheese screws so why not put them in your car.

Oh yea another suggestion, add a little bling with a rear fog lamp & be sure to drill only (3) small holes in the sheet metal. av-943.gif av-943.gif Did you hear that Eric. av-943.gif

Tom
McMark
I wouldn't be too surprised to jump in my time machine and find that someone at the dealership before you bought the car or before the car went out of warranty replaced the screw incorrectly. I don't doubt your car or your history with the car, but I also trust the Cap'n as well as my own experience. wink.gif

Good luck with your search. I hope it comes to some valuable fruition. cool.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
The photos that are posted on the"nailed" engine bay Forum, as far as I can tell, all show slotted, cheese head fasteners. Maybe those phillips head screws are the residuals of your employment when you worked at the HILMAN FASTENER CO. laugh.gif poke.gif

Paul
slackin' at work
QUOTE(slackin' at work @ Jan 13 2008, 06:10 PM) *

Pat, I really tried. I went out and looked all over and under the sheet
metal to try to find more pan-heads.

alas, only cheeseheads.

remember, I DO have the phillips panheads but only on the 4 bolts
holding the inner cylinder tin to the case. I am not the original owner
and can not verify these are the correct bolts.

on the flipside, I can not verify that the correct panheads were not
replaced with cheeseheads over the years.

Persoanlly, I say keep the fasteners your car had on it. if it had panheads...
keep the panheads. beer3.gif

Pat Garvey
Did a couple of hours research today. What follows are the results of that research...but first....

When I was in the Army & stationed in the middle of nowhere Kansas (Ft. Riley, 1969), I was thankful to be on US soil. But there was literally nothing to do. So a firend of mine decided to teach me how to hunt. "Gomer" was a former subsistence hunter from Oklahoma. He hunted, killed & ate everything - and I mean everything. That year I had badger for Thanksgiving. But, before that he decided to teach me to hunt crow. Gomer was excellent at calling scouts, while I just layed under wet leaves waiting for the flock. We shot 4 BIG crow that day, took them to the farm owner who allowed us to hunt on his land & he insisted we stay for dinner. I learned to eat crow that day (sure beat badger). Apparently, I developed a taste for crow, as the following will prove.

In my research between PET & my original paper parts manual I discovered that the terms "panhead" and "cheesehead" are interchangeable & have nothing to do with slotted or phillips type fasteners. It appears that the only phillips type fasteners are those holding the inner case-side of the sheetmetal. There may be others, but I could not find any other for the sheetmetal. When drilling down closely on the PET fasteners, it was apparent that they were/are slotted.

So....this leads me to accept that I have been in error, and taste that lovely black bird again!

Also, it seems that the prts bozo I ordered the fasteners from packaged them incorrectly in 1979. Too bad, because they really do look better than the proper parts. Other than the 4 inner case screws I'll change to slotted.

I did notice that the cache of used fasteners I have was comprised mostly of slotted, though at least 40 are phillips (of 2 different sizes). So, I thought "where did these come from?" Records digging time again. Remember, this was almost 30 years ago - good thing I keep records (at least for my own sanity).

Forgot that I bought two blown 2 liter motors to play with in 1980. I think one was from Jon Lowe. Took them apart to see how they worked inside - one had a bad cam, the other a broken crank. Saved all the bits & pieces that I thought I could use down the road & pawned off the rest at a Tweeks swap meet. I guess that's where the extra fasteners came from.

Still have a hard time believeing that I'd put the wrong fasteners back on my freshly re-done sheetmetal, but have to accept the fact that I did.

Mmmm, crow gud! Can't quite remember the taste, but I surely remember that badger (whew!). Worst Thanksgiving I've ever experienced.

As an aside, the phillips head screws seem to be all of two sizes: 6 x 16, and 6 x 21. These sizes could be off a little due to conversion. Any idea of they're use? Need pics?

Pat

ps: Once again, thanks to all the people who finally got a hardheaded Irishman to do some thinking & research.

TJB/914
Hi Pat,

You are a big man to eat crow.

We all learned a good lesson and now it's official "slotted cheese head screws". pray.gif

Tom
GWN7
Pat...put Torx back in wink.gif
davep
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 15 2008, 05:34 PM) *

Did a couple of hours research today. In my research between PET & my original paper parts manual I discovered that the terms "panhead" and "cheesehead" are interchangeable & have nothing to do with slotted or phillips type fasteners.

Pan head and cheese head are NOT the same thing:
http://www.spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=R11
Cheese head is DIN 84 and Pan head is DIN 85.
There is also a button head that is similar to pan head but is more domed and does not have flat sides.

For fasteners you need to specify:
drive type: slot, Phillips, etc
head type: cheese, pan, etc
thread type: machine, sheet metal, thread forming, etc
http://www.spaenaur.com/view_pdf.asp?Page=R12
thread diameter & pitch
thread length, and if fully threaded or partially threaded
material and finish
strength grade

I would not be eating crow just yet. BTW I understand that beaver is worse than badger. So bad in fact that the beaver is usually boiled, the broth is used but the meat is thrown out.
GWN7
OT..sorry to disagree Dave, but any beaver I've had was very tasty smile.gif

http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/wildgam...ver_recipes.htm
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jan 16 2008, 12:30 PM) *

OT..sorry to disagree Dave, but any beaver I've had was very tasty smile.gif

http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/wildgam...ver_recipes.htm

How did this get hijacked into coon ass recipes?
Pat

Yeah, I know what a "coon ass" is. My former boss is married to one. Man, can she cook! Looks pretty tasty too, but you didn't hear that from me. Now, back to topic. Hmmm, Torx, huh?
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 16 2008, 11:38 AM) *

Did a couple of hours research today. In my research between PET & my original paper parts manual I discovered that the terms "panhead" and "cheesehead" are interchangeable & have nothing to do with slotted or phillips type fasteners.

There is also a button head that is similar to pan head but is more domed and does not have flat sides.

thread diameter & pitch
material and finish
strength grade

I would not be eating crow just yet. BTW I understand that beaver is worse than badger. So bad in fact that the beaver is usually boiled, the broth is used but the meat is thrown out.

Dave,

I could only agree with you if I tasted beaver (which I have not, well other than....). But the taste of that badger is still in my olfactories, and it was horrible. If you think I am a pansy about what I eat, consider that I make Kentucky Burgoo every Derby Day. That's right, with the squirrell, coon & (rarely) Possum in it. And it's good too, if you hold your nose (just kidding - needs to be cooked for about 12 hours though). No, I don't use road kill, because my wife won't let me stop.
Pat

Another hijack!
JeffBowlsby
The parts manual specifies where the shorter longer M6 screws go. Look carefully.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 16 2008, 08:44 PM) *

The parts manual specifies where

Jeff,
That would be too easy and obvious for those who rely on their memories, whilst removing the errant feather from their mouth. biggrin.gif stirthepot.gif poke.gif

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jan 16 2008, 11:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 16 2008, 08:44 PM) *

The parts manual specifies where

Jeff,
That would be too easy and obvious for those who rely on their memories, whilst removing the errant feather from their mouth. biggrin.gif stirthepot.gif poke.gif

Paul

Go ahead, get your digs in while you can. I asked for it. And you surely owe me.

So, I'll take the digs in stride...................... while I plot to get even!
Pat
Pat Garvey
I'm going to rear the head of this ugly topic again. Why, because I like abuse!

I'll be changing all the fasteners this weekend and polishing the sheetmetal before installation of the screws. However, having not yet developed a taste for dark-feathered avian quisine (other than Wild Turkey, which is a rain derivative), I want to nail down the type of fastener on the inner sheetmetal-to-case fasteners. Are they, or are they not, phillips types?

Also, what are the thoughts towards using non-original stainless fasteners?

I have three sets of ferrous & one set on stainless. What would you use, as a CW?
Pat

Oh, and by the way, the worst Thanksgiving I ever had was 1969. The first & last time I tasted badger. Army horsemeat was so much better. Long story!
McMark
914/4 Engine Tin Screw 'Head-Count' (hahaha, A PUN!)

Phillips: Zero (0)
Slotted: Lots (lots)

cool.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 14 2008, 11:37 PM) *

914/4 Engine Tin Screw 'Head-Count' (hahaha, A PUN!)

Phillips: Zero (0)
Slotted: Lots (lots)

cool.gif

Mark,

Shhhh. Keep it to yourself. Changed everything to stainless today. One more bad dream reconciled. More to come.
Pat
kconway
Anybody put together a set of all the panhead screws required for the engine tin or at least a complete parts list/count? Wherer can these be purchased?

Kev
euro911
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 15 2008, 09:57 PM) *

Anybody put together a set of all the panhead screws required for the engine tin or at least a complete parts list/count? Wherer can these be purchased?

Kev
I wasn't too concerned about originality when putting tins on my '75 ... got the pan/Phillips ones from Steve at the now defunct G. Serrano. Sorry I didn't get a whole bunch more before he went out of business dry.gif

I really like the Phillips ones, but will keep the original type on my wife's '71 wink.gif

Post again if/when you find some Kevin ... popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 16 2008, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Jan 16 2008, 11:38 AM) *

thread diameter & pitch
material and finish
strength grade

Dave,

I could only agree with you if I tasted beaver (which I have not, well other than....). But the taste of that badger is still in my olfactories, and it was horrible. If you think I am a pansy about what I eat, consider that I make Kentucky Burgoo every Derby Day. That's right, with the squirrell, coon & (rarely) Possum in it. And it's good too, if you hold your nose (just kidding - needs to be cooked for about 12 hours though). No, I don't use road kill, because my wife won't let me stop.
Pat

Another hijack!

Dave,
These links do not work for me! Suggestions, becasue I'm tired of being ignorant about fasteners!
Pat
davep
I don't know the problem. I just tried the one link in your reply above by right-click and choosing open-in-new-tab and it came up. It is a PDF document, do you have Acrobat enabled in your browser. If you aren't using Firefox, that may be the problem. Or you could try to right-click and choose save-link-as.
1970 Neun vierzehn
No problem here either, right click or left click gets me to the charts.

Paul
kconway
Anybody have a list of sizes and quantities for all the tin screws?
Kev
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 18 2008, 10:45 AM) *

I don't know the problem. I just tried the one link in your reply above by right-click and choosing open-in-new-tab and it came up. It is a PDF document, do you have Acrobat enabled in your browser. If you aren't using Firefox, that may be the problem. Or you could try to right-click and choose save-link-as.

Don't know what the problem is, but I still cannot use that link. I can get there using google, but something doesn't work right with that link for me. And, every page from the main site loads up with a blank page. Scratch, scratch? Have the latest verson of Adobe too. I give up!

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.