Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replaced the trunk...need help with seam sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I cut-out and welded in a new trunk replacement panel and Por-15 all the seams. I also bought a can of Wurth's seam sealer from George but haven't put it on yet.

From threads read, the Wurth seam sealer is put on with a special gun to create that OEM effect in the trunk. The gun is very expensive, so I'm not going that route.

My choices at this point are,
  • brush the sealer on...but then it won't match the other OEM sealer applied a million years ago in the upper half of the trunk.
  • Digout all theseam searler in the trunk, then brush the Wurth on so it will all match
  • Dig it all out of the rest of the trunk and just go with Por-15...not sealer
  • Possibly try to put in a cheap paint gun and spray at low pressure to get a splattering effect
Just looking for some ideas for those who have done this. This project is not a CW project, but will look very nice when done.
Thanks,
Mark
2-OH!
Mark:

I bought my seal sealer from a local autobody supply house...It came in a tube just like the caulking gun stuff at Home Depot...and while it does not look like the original, I just used the same type caulking gun I use around the house...Sealed after the POR but before the paint...

2-OH!
VaccaRabite
Personally, I used brush on seam sealer, and did not care one lick if it matched.

Zach
SirAndy
i got mine from Yeaman autobody in palo alto. it came in a spray can and did a pretty good job of emulating the stock look ...

they're 914 guys and recommended the stuff. i don't remember the brand ...
shades.gif Andy
jd74914
I think SEM makes aerosol seam sealer smile.gif
Lou W
I brushed mine on when I replaced the trunk on my car. I seem to remember that the seem sealer along the rear of the trunk seemed to be brushed on.
scotty b
DO NOT try to put seam sealer through a paint gun !!! headbang.gif headbang.gif All you will have accomplished is throwing away $$ and a brand new paint gun. Buy a can of brush on seam sealer and deal with the difference in appearance, or find a local shop that has the proper gun and pay them a couple bucks to spray it on. Doesn't take that long..
scotty b
Also note whther the sealer you buy is water based or not. A little cup of water or laquer thinner will help you to smooth it out once a bead has been run. OR if you want more of a stippled effect try taking a brush and dabbing in the bead once laid out.
computers4kids
Thanks for the tips...after looking at Lou's trunk, a combination of OEM seam sealer and brushed seam sealer it helped me make-up my mind. Not a big deal, I think I'll just brush it on. It's all going to be covered anyway with the perlon.

I have more important things to worry about, like "no wheels" and gauges to fill my Getty dash. idea.gif
Lou W
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 13 2008, 06:58 PM) *

Also note whther the sealer you buy is water based or not. A little cup of water or laquer thinner will help you to smooth it out once a bead has been run. OR if you want more of a stippled effect try taking a brush and dabbing in the bead once laid out.

Scotty, you're right, thats what I did, I was able to match pretty what the factory had, at least on my car....It looked liked it may have been wiped, dabbed or brushed before it dried.
spunone
Just use a 1 inch brush or there abouts and cut off half the Brissles so the brush is pretty stiff then brush on beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.