Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster 5speed cable shifter for a 915?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
I'm still gathering parts to start my six conversion in the spring. About the only thing left for me to iron out is the tranny question. I have both a nice 914 side shifter and a nice 915 that came with my 3.2l. I've investigated the WEVO with the 915 (expensive though), conversion clutch package and using my 901 (cheaper but I do like the 915 gearing better). I was notified from someone on the other 914 board that a thread was going on about using a boxster 5speed cable shifter/cables/tranny shaft end piece (slips on the shift rod and cables attach to it). The end piece is the same size as the 915 shift rod.

Anybody here have any thoughts on this, anybody try it?
GeorgeRud
If you already have the 914 sideshifter, that would be your easiest and cheapest choice. However, you will need a new flywheel and notched bellhousing to run the electronics.

If you already have the 915, I would highly recommend hunkering down and springing for the WEVO kit. You won't have to replace the flywheel, pressure plate, etc., so all of your clutch setup is taken care of, and the converted 915 is certainly geared for the torque of the engine. If you need the name of a shop in Illinois that can do that for you, I would try Perfect Power in Buffalo Grove, IL, or if you don't mind a slightly longer drive, Brad Mayeur in Peoria, IL would be good to handle the 915 trans conversion.

Jeff Hail
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 13 2008, 07:52 PM) *

If you already have the 914 sideshifter, that would be your easiest and cheapest choice. However, you will need a new flywheel and notched bellhousing to run the electronics.

If you already have the 915, I would highly recommend hunkering down and springing for the WEVO kit. You won't have to replace the flywheel, pressure plate, etc., so all of your clutch setup is taken care of, and the converted 915 is certainly geared for the torque of the engine. If you need the name of a shop in Illinois that can do that for you, I would try Perfect Power in Buffalo Grove, IL, or if you don't mind a slightly longer drive, Brad Mayeur in Peoria, IL would be good to handle the 915 trans conversion.

The Boxter cable shifter is very difficult to adapt to a 915 trans. The work to get the geometry correct for the cable push and pull throw lengths are not even remotely close for each box.

I went with this system which is sold by PMS. I am raising the shift tower higher to obtain better ergonomics (like a 935) and could not get a straight plane for the shift rods to go with a WEVO which I would have spent the money if it worked.
The reason I liked this system is it can be located forward, back, tilted, higher than the factory shifter location.

I found out about this system from a friend who has one installed in a sand rail with a 3.2 and 930 trans that I drove out in the desert for a day. Everything was covered up in aluminum bodywork so I did not know it was a cable setup. Once I got out of the drivers seat and looked underneath I was impressed at how well it worked. A 930 box is a notchy shifting unit anyway and I have driven them in a 911 Turbo. The operation of the cable shifter was so impressive I abandoned going with the WEVO setup.

woobn8r
Contact info (or link) for PMS.....
Cost?
ease of installation...
MORE PICS!

From what I can see you have a beautiful car!!!!
Is that an inboard parking brake on your output flange?

Thanks...

Sean
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jan 14 2008, 06:36 AM) *

Contact info (or link) for PMS.....
Cost?
ease of installation...
MORE PICS!

From what I can see you have a beautiful car!!!!
Is that an inboard parking brake on your output flange?

Thanks...

Sean

Not my car. These were the promo pics Patrick Motorsports sent to me before I purchased the setup. Yes that is an E-brake on the drive flange. Only way I would have done that is one on each side otherwise one side will still roll. Guess it's ok for a race car parked on flat ground.
Jeff Hail
Here are some good pictures of mine (not installed yet).

I had Patrick Motorsports fabricate the transmission hoop because they already worked out the design. The smaller bracket mounts on the tail end of the transmission housing to locate the business end of the Morse Cables. The pivot mounts to the shift selector rod and is a quick release unit. Cost is about 1/3 that of a complete WEVO with the tailshifter, shift rods and bearing not including installation of the WEVO.

This system has been used by the offroad guys for about 20 years. I figured those cars are subject to a lot more abuse than a street/ track car.
Jeff Hail
The tail piece that mounts on the rear of the trans..........
Mugs914
Here are a few pics of the Patick Motorsports system installed on the G50-52 in the race car (Old build pics, it's a LITTLE further along now... dry.gif ).

The Patrick system is the only way to go in my opinion. It is well designed, very crisp and a great deal for the money. Mine came out of the box fully assembled! blink.gif I took it to the shop, bolted the bracket to the gearbox and stood behind the car shifting through the gears. cool.gif He also has a mount for the shifter box that bolts up to the stock holes in the tunnel and puts the shifter up higher than in the first set of pics.

I'm not affiliated with Patrick in any way, just a happy customer...

Interior with shifter box...
Mugs914
This is the trans bracket for the (flipped) G50-52...
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Jan 14 2008, 08:46 AM) *

Here are a few pics of the Patick Motorsports system installed on the G50-52 in the race car (Old build pics, it's a LITTLE further along now... dry.gif ).

The Patrick system is the only way to go in my opinion. It is well designed, very crisp and a great deal for the money. Mine came out of the box fully assembled! blink.gif I took it to the shop, bolted the bracket to the gearbox and stood behind the car shifting through the gears. cool.gif He also has a mount for the shifter box that bolts up to the stock holes in the tunnel and puts the shifter up higher than in the first set of pics.

I'm not affiliated with Patrick in any way, just a happy customer...

Interior with shifter box...

Nice Mugs!
woobn8r
You guys never cease to amaze me....just frikkin' cool!
BDog
Does anyone have any more information on this for a 915?
Mugs914
Waddup Dog...

(Sorry couldn't resist...)

Here's a link to the 915 cable shifter on the Patrick Motorsports website. If you call 'em they'll send you a lot more info with dimensions and whatnot.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/440/

While you are on their site be sure to check out some of the projects they're working on over there. Cool stuff!

Again, not affiliated or anything...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.