Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange gear box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I had this tailshifter I got in a deal. The numbers were not readable on the bottom of case because it had been setting in the dirt. It was not a 914-6 box. I took it apart this morning. Strange gear sets

Main shaft U
V gear
2 sets of S gears
X gear
T gear
Z gear
GA gear

No where near stock. Somebodies custom box? I will be selling them if someone needs them.
race914
I'm curious about the U mainshaft? Is it a 904 mainshaft (accepts different 2nd gears just like 1st & 3rd-5th)?

Also, here is a 3rd & 4th/5th "FLIP" chart showing where your gears could be used for those thinking about it.
More info on gears here

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
The main shaft gear is part of the shaft. Not removeable.
race914
Thanks,

I was just curious because I've never heard of a U mainshaft. Typically you find either F, GA or GB ratios for 2nd.

You have some good gears there and shouldn't have trouble selling them! Congrats on your parts find!!

Dr Evil
Those letters on the gears do not indicate the gear set. You will need to count the teeth to know what you have. In the 911 boxes the letters are related, but not in the 901.
911quest
I don't see how you got 7 seperate ratio's out of one box was.
914Sixer
Okay, the letters mean nothing. Why did they put them one there then?
Dr Evil
That I am not sure of. Perhaps it was a production run code, but I dont know. Also, I think the 901 gears were made by VW where as the 911 gears were made by a different vendor.
Aaron Cox
mike nailed it...

Count teeth.... (just like before you date a chick from bakersfield)
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(911quest @ Jan 14 2008, 03:08 PM) *

I don't see how you got 7 seperate ratio's out of one box was.

He said it was a strange gearbox. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.