Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bulkhead vs. quick six mount for conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
Hi All,
I'm starting to source the parts for putting a 2.7 into my teener. I'd like to hear the pros and cons of both the bulkhead and the quick six mount. Thanks!
--jaybird
dflesburg
We (flesburgs) are all using bulkhead mounts. I am using solid mounts on top of that and love how solid everything is... JMO. (then again, I like it loud and rough) (is that too much info ?) LOL
degreeoff
Well I have the same setup in the works as my friend above here and I have not HEARD of a bulkhead mount breaking...I HAVE heard about a quick 6 breaking....its not that hard to install with the engine out!

Josh
sww914
Quick six mounts require no welding and they make really good spots to put jackstands when you're pulling the tranny off of the engine.
Dave_Darling
Quick Six mounts are easy to install, that's about it for them.

For a quality conversion, bulkhead mount all the way. Stronger, better designed, and from what I can tell even better-built than most of the bar-type mounts.

--DD
djm914-6
I had a quick six in my car when I bought it. It kept kicking out of gear on hard accelerations. The problem went away with the RJ bulkhead mount. Maybe the problem could have been fixed with new /4 motor mounts too, but I wanted something more solid.
PeeGreen 914
I still have the bar in mine and I hate it. When you get on it you feel the power going into the bar. Makes me nervous everytime I drive it, but I check it regularly to make sure it's fine. Do it right the first time. Get the bulkhead mount.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 17 2008, 08:04 AM) *

Quick Six mounts are easy to install, that's about it for them.

For a quality conversion, bulkhead mount all the way. Stronger, better designed, and from what I can tell even better-built than most of the bar-type mounts.

agree.gif
IronHillRestorations
The quick bars cause more problems than they solve. After installing a 6 in your 914, you won't go back to a four. Get a permanent mount and be done (right) with it.
Root_Werks
I have run the following mounts on converted 914-6's:

Quick six bars ranging from home built units GPR use to sell back in the early 90's to PM tube bar that flexes like crazy to even a 2 piece bar design that was cool.

Used and installed the RJ mount, Vellos bulkhead and Maddog bulkhead.

Probably 6-7 different mounts and I have learned that any "Quick Six" bar is great to get you going, but nothing to run forever. Best bulkhead mount I have ever used is the one Maddog makes that is a copy of the RJ and Vellos mounts. I only prefer the Maddog over the RJ mount because the Maddog requires that you pull the wirring loom all the way out from the back up to the firewall, mount/weld mount and push it back through the maddog mount. The RJ mount goes OVER the wirring loom. Soooooo, if you weld on your RJ mount and have to pull through wires, you're pretty much screwed. The maddog takes more time to install, but easier to work on the car later if needed.

Sort of past my 2 cents I guess, call it a dime. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
You can still pull the wiring harness through Rich's mount, if you ever need to.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 18 2008, 07:09 AM) *

The RJ mount goes OVER the wirring loom. Soooooo, if you weld on your RJ mount and have to pull through wires, you're pretty much screwed.

what? confused24.gif

there's plenty of room to pull through wires, the channel in the RJ mount is fairly large ...
shades.gif Andy

John
I prefer bulkhead mounts. I prefer to fabricate my own.

I have no wiring harness issues.

IPB Image
IPB Image

The "Quick Six" bars cantilever the weight of the engine on a bar that is too weak and flexes continuously.

carr914
The Quick six bars are junk.

The Patrick Chromoly bar is much better (stout), but you still get an oscillation through them in that there is flex.

The RJ mount is the only way to go. As said earlier, once you put a six in there, you will NEVER go back, so do it right.

T.C.

BKLA
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 19 2008, 11:43 AM) *

The Quick six bars are junk.

The Patrick Chromoly bar is much better (stout), but you still get an oscillation through them in that there is flex.

The RJ mount is the only way to go. As said earlier, once you put a six in there, you will NEVER go back, so do it right.

T.C.

agree.gif

I have the PM quicksix in the bluByU (installed the PO), but the race car is getting the RJ mount.

The only way to go IMHO!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.