Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dave Hunt's 2270 on SDS.. First pull on the dyno
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 18 2008, 06:55 AM) *

dave will pace like a tiger in a cage waiting for the engine to arrive at the fedex center in fife. dave, let me know if you want me to pull 'big red' out of it's winter sleep to haul it home.

k

On that same note K, I am sure Dave knows if he needs any help he'll have it.

Not that you would want a bunch of people watching over you as the engine goes in. But if you don't mind, let us know when and I'll try like hell to make it over. beerchug.gif
DNHunt
I got it all packed up despite a few distractions. The afternoons' entertainment was a watch Jake's Pinz destroy a desk. This trip Jake took me off roadin the Pinz in the snow, cutting donuts in the snow with a golf cart and now this. Fun got in the way of work.
DNHunt
It was an absolute riot. The desk was mighty tough.
Jake Raby
That damn desk was tough as hell!!!

Blake looks like he is square dancin' or something!

Glad you enjoyed the trip.. It was nice havin ya.
ConeDodger
How much ya wanta bet Dave can get 20 guys to help put that sucker in when it comes back from Georgia???

It's already broken in so test rides start right off the jack stands!

Who wants to sign up???
byndbad914
Jake - is the cam one of your roller grinds or tappet grind? You using the Schubeck (or whatever they were called) design lifters with no bearings on the roller?
brer
I hope that wasn't an old steelcase desk.
Jake Raby
This is a conventional camshaft!! it is NOT a roller profile!!! In fact it is a STOCK camshaft profile for a domestic sports car! I "robbed" the profile in 2005 especially for FI engine development but I never dreamed it would do anything like this!

byndbad914
wow Jake, kudos then dude. That is impressive power per cube then (sorry, don't think in liters and cc's very well hahaha).

2.27L*~60cubes/L=136.2 cubes
200HP/136.2=1.468HP/cube

My car is 353 cubes * 1.468 ~ 518HP. I made 525HP on mine with a raspy tappet cam so that is some solid numbers with a small tappet cam. Actually I bleed off a lot of cylinder pressure on my car which hurts me a bit in overall power, but I just wanted all that noise hahaha laugh.gif That is a good combo you have going there for the type 4 crowd thumb3d.gif
DNHunt
Dave- I'd pay close attention to your actual routing of those sensor cables as they go back to the ECU when you fully dress the motor and get it back in your car

David

I already have the engine bay layout planned. With the Hall sensor cables I'll make a hard right angle turn upward and machine a spot for a grommet between the case and the cooling shroud near where the bracket is for the thermostat cable.

The coil will be amid ships on the rear firewall and plug leads will run to the cylindrs from the rear. All of the sensors andFI leads will run from the fan end of the engine. Relays will be on the front firewall behind the driver's head and the breather box will be on the front firewall behind the passenger's head. The ECU will be between the seats at the firewall.

Dave
davep
Sensor leads may benefit from using a braided steel sleeve that is grounded at one end. The sleeve acts as a Faraday shield to help keep the leads from acting as a radio antenna and picking up stray voltages (interference) from a noisy environment. I use this all the time for thermocouple leads in my lab.
DNHunt
Yep, It ran with the CHT in close proximity to the lead to #3 so I suspect that it will be fine. I'll loop the sparp plug wires around the back of the tin and approach the plug to #3 from below and outboard of the plug. I'll lead the CHT up and slightly back so it'll be at closest approach about 3" .

The really critical leads in the harness are already sheilded and the sheild is grounded at The ECU.

Dave
DNHunt
It seems I have a crate down at the local FedEx Freight depot. It looks like my engine made it from Georgia to Washington in 5 days. That's hauling ass I think in the winter.

Dave
Chris Pincetich
Cool, it hauls ass and it isn't even in the car yet! av-943.gif
I'm waiting on some 914 race parts to show, and still waiting, and waiting...hoping to work on it this weekend beerchug.gif
rebelmdot
Now that Dave's engine is fantastic, I should introduce myself. I will be your next patient!!

Congratulations to you both, it seems like a lot of hard work was put in to make yet another IV scream.
Jake Raby
Now if Dave's curse doesn't come back we'll be fine....

BTW- Based on what we saw this week in the lab we may have a 200 HP 2056 before a 200 HP production grade 2270....
rhodyguy
wow!! fast is right. i'm fairly sure they are open today until 11:30 am in fife.

DNHunt
All done Kevin, it's at home in the garage. I couldn't pass up the dry weather so I went down about 7:30 and got it. They were also treatening storage fees. It looks like it shipped fine. I've got a big cleanup up in the shop, but I hope by Sunday night to have on a dolly. I can't see getting it in the car for another month or so.

Dave
rhodyguy
a month...right...i've known you too long. you'll be lying in bed @ 3:30 am staring at the ceiling and by 3:45 you'll be out in the shop. biggrin.gif

k
effutuo101
Right on Dave! I can't wait to hear it run! I bet you are out cleaning the garage now. You have the patience of a saint if you can wait for 30 days without at least putting it in the car. biggrin.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2008, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Jan 17 2008, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2008, 12:11 PM) *

Made a partial run with added timing, lost power and gained CHT.. Now we are going the other direction with a 2 degree timing reduction..

AFR- RPM fuel values are done :-)

After this verification pull it's time to play with variables like oil, fans and etc...

What are the AFR's and timing curves

I ALWAYS target 13:1

If we post the timing curves someone else will try to use them and may harm their engine, without this cam, CR and set of heads these won't do anyone any good..

What CR is this engine running?
Mark D.
DNHunt
In the neighborhood of 9.8:1

Dave
Zimms
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 26 2008, 01:51 AM) *

BTW- Based on what we saw this week in the lab we may have a 200 HP 2056 before a 200 HP production grade 2270....

Any torque figures you want to share?
BMXerror
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jan 26 2008, 07:28 PM) *

In the neighborhood of 9.8:1

Dave

Okay, NOW I'm impressed! Good job Dave and Jake.
Mark D.
seanery
@DNHunt

Hey Dave, how has this engine done over the years?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.