Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dave Hunt's 2270 on SDS.. First pull on the dyno
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
Dave has spent another week with us here at Aircooled Heaven.. The veterans of the board know Dave, know of his misfortune with his engine kit (several times) and know just how determined Charles and I were to get the issues figured out..

No need to revisit those (and for the sake of everyone) we won't be talking about what WAS the issue, because it has now been solved..

The point is Dave's engine made more power than any 2270 we had ever dynoed on pump gas and we have figured out why... More on that later.

I figured I'd post the numbers from today's very first pull.. This was done with SDS with DEFAULT fuel values, right out of the box!!

here is Dave's SDS/ Direct fire results from today.. This is running a ull cooling fan with no impellers removed, both tests we'll compare were exactly the same, we even kept the same advance curve as the Mallory that was on his engine during his last session and nothing else has been changed except carbs Vs EFI.

Note that this is one of the few times that we have had an EFI engine make more peak HP than a carbureted engine in back to back comparions. Typically the carbs kick the shit out of FI at peak power but the EFI kicks the shit out of carbs EVERYWHERE else, making a broader more usable power band with better average HP... This was an oddity that I attribute to the cam shaft design that I did for this engine- it is specifically made for EFI, but still does damn good with carbs..

With SDS
Click to view attachment

Same timing and set up with 45 Dells
Click to view attachment

Same Tangerine Evo exhaust was used for both tests, numbers are corrected for weather differences between Dave's last visit and today.

200HP with the stock fan is just a pull away... On pump gas and it doesn't need more than 6,000 RPM to do it.

I told you we'd whip this issue.

Like I said, this is right out of the box with our defauklt tuning.. Its not even close to optimized yet and was rich below 4500 RPM-
SirAndy
w00t.gif

damm, those are nice curves!
drooley.gif Andy
mudfoot76
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 17 2008, 02:48 PM) *

damm, those are nice curves!
drooley.gif Andy

agree.gif +1
drooley.gif

And April still seems like such a long time away...

messix
this stuff makes me think that a six is not an option.

great power

simple install

no oil tank and lines

and lots more of that extra six expensive stuff

gee wiz!
Jake Raby
The first run with enrichment manipulation..

We are damn near finished with tuning.. Dave is making some timing changes as I type this..

Click to view attachment

Dave is watching everyt move I make and HE is tuning the tuning changes..

OK, now we tried some timing adjustments, almost ready to swap to the AX 12 blade fan and see what we get.. With carbs and that fan this same engine made 209 HP..
Jake Raby
Made a partial run with added timing, lost power and gained CHT.. Now we are going the other direction with a 2 degree timing reduction..

AFR- RPM fuel values are done :-)

After this verification pull it's time to play with variables like oil, fans and etc...
904svo
Dave must be one happy camper now!

914Sixer
Holy Shit Batman !!! Simply AMAZING !
toon1
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2008, 12:11 PM) *

Made a partial run with added timing, lost power and gained CHT.. Now we are going the other direction with a 2 degree timing reduction..

After this verification pull it's time to play with variables like oil, fans and etc...

What are the AFR's and timing curves
Jake Raby
Nope.. Not amazing, just fruits of our labor and development..

It is awesome though and even more cool that this is an engine that Dave built on a kit!

Here is the final dyno run with the stock fan, just as Dave will use it in the car..

Tuning is completed. We started at 1330 and were done in less than two hours. Dave will need to correct for some manifold pressure differences that we can't attain at my elevation when he gets it in the car..

Sometimes that 1HP is so hard to get...
Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jan 17 2008, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2008, 12:11 PM) *

What are the AFR's and timing curves

I ALWAYS target 13:1

If we post the timing curves someone else will try to use them and may harm their engine, without this cam, CR and set of heads these won't do anyone any good..
Jake Raby
OK, we swapped fans and did another comparison between carbs/ FI...

Here are the results.. Up first is todays SDS run with the modified fan.
Jake Raby
OK, we swapped fans and did another comparison between carbs/ FI...

Here are the results.. Up first is todays SDS run with the modified fan.
Click to view attachment

And here is the data from the last session with the exact same fan in place with carbs.
Click to view attachment

Everything matters!
904svo
Once again, Jake prove thats it's in the combo. Those graphs should made a
lot of people rethink about changing the engine when you can get a combo a
lot cheaper! An it fits with out modifications to the engine bay.

I think Dave will be busy when he gets home, with all those people pulling out their teeth.

Jake keep up the good work.
Jake Raby
Now I want to apply these changes to my 2316-210 current kit engine...

But it'll be 2010 before that happens.. Kits are locked in stone till then...

But I could always toss this cam in a typical 2270-175 for those who want the same engine :-)
ConeDodger
Oh my... Anyone interested in buying a just broken in 2270 so I can build another one????

Jake, how much do you think the Nickies are contributing? They are known for a bit of HP boost as well as some cooling advantage right?
Jake Raby
The Nickies are contributing greatly.. They allowed the CR for this engine to become so efficient.. The highest head temp we recorded was 335F during the entire session.. A BONE STOCK engine runs 15-20 degrees hotter than that..

Based on what I saw yesterday from a very, very similar combo running the same heads and cam they are making a 5% power addition..
rhodyguy
it's a stump puller at 6k. wow. notable changes in the temps with the ax fan? will the near sea level and humidity have a net + or - on the power? put the powerplant in the box and send dave home.

k
toon1
WOW!!! JUST FREAKIN WOW!!

212hp from a NA, type IV, that's awsome!

Jake Raby
The temp increase with the AX fan was 25-35 degrees over the stock fan, at higher RPM the mod fan cooled much better.

This engine has about 13-15 hours of run time on it and it runs better than it did when it first fired up!

I really think this one would live 90-100K if taken care of, even if beaten pretty hard. It's smooth as a cat's ass!
ConeDodger
So with the autocross fan you are still only around "stock engine" temperatures. Would you call that streetable? Or would stop light idle be a problem?
Jake Raby
Streetable unless you have a stock fifth gear.. drive around in 4th and you'll be just fine...

I'll send you one, you can try it..
jaminM3
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2008, 12:43 PM) *

The point is Dave's engine made more power than any 2270 we had ever dynoed on pump gas and we have figured out why... More on that later.

So was the difference the cam?

I am seriously considering this combo, but I already have a set of Len't heads... headbang.gif
HAM Inc
Ben your heads are nice stock reman heads, but they won't support that kind of HP. Sell the heads and order a pair of LE-200's. You will get the same heads Dave has.
I went back and looked at the notes for Daves heads (I do this whenever big #'s jump out of a combo) and Daves heads were one of the first pairs of Gen2 LE-200's. The Gen3's (where we are now) are virtually the same with the only difference being that they are CNC port matched to our custom phenolic intake gaskets. Prior to that I hand matched. Aside from the fact that they are LE-200's, there is nothing overly special about the heads, meaning I didn't experiment with a different seat profile or tool path (I ONLY do that on engines Jake is building and testing anyway) the kits are always tried and true technologies.
I believe that aside from highlighting Jakes ability to spec out a great combo, these fabulous results also show just what a bad ass tuner he is. I saw this first hand at Road Atlanta last year with our F-Prod 914, and earlier at Lanier during a test seesion. He has a sixth sense for it!
Jake Raby
Thanks Len...

My edge with tuning is the fact that I design the combo, oversee it's assembly and then do all the tuning... It's like a Chef that tastes all the food he cooks and alters the recipe as he goes.

I was REALLY on my game today, I only missed one forecast during the entire tuning session.

This engine has made more power than any 2563 we have built to date, thats right 300ccs more displacement with the same heads isn't better than the 2270! Thats the reason why this is the combo I love so well...

Bigger isn't better- one day people will liusten when I tell them that the 2270 is the most efficient combo that can be built for the TIV.

It is.
Gint
Wow. I'm impressed. If all of my available cash wasn't earmarked for the final bits for my /6 resto I'd be ordering a kit for the 4 banger.
DNHunt
Well, this is way beyond what I expected. There are several things to clear up. First, these guys know their stuff. They have a really good idea what they are going to get with a combo so, it was a real surprise to exceed their expectations. Nice though. Second, the engines that come out of there are beautiful. I've seen quite a few in production in my 2 trips and they are works of art. Mine looks like a pig next to them but you know about beauty. Third these guys have the patience of Job, to stick with my project and then to put up with my asking for help finding stuff and checking stuff. Beyond that, it's a fun place. People are very friendly and they enjoy what they do. They like a good joke too.

Tuning went like this. Install. Look for previous record of engines that are similar. Change a few of the fuel values. Start it. Change a few of the MAP values. Enter timing values that Jake dictated from memory. Do a series of pulls, Change about 1/4 of the fuel values by calculating the difference in AFR's. Change 1 more AFR value. At that point Jake said "We're about done". We made changes to the timing but, both times it was worse as Jake said it would be. Then we played with the fan. Session over. It was short sweet and easy. So different than my experience with Megasquirt. Simple Digital Systems is the right name. Course it helps to have a great tuner and good equipment.

Here's a few pics.

My first challenge was mounting the SDS Hall sensors. I chose my favorite spot behind the fan but, Blake suggested the side nearest the alternator. and the he came up with a precut bracket that I modified.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

DNHunt
I added the magnets to an old AC pulley (I think). Anyway it was perfect for the job.

Click to view attachment

I did most of the install on the dyno

Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
One good thing that came from this session was a BOLT ON easy way to do the hall effect sensor for the SDS.. To date we have never done it the same way twice, but the pic Dave illustrates here will be our standard method from now on.. It all bolts on easily.

Dave is one hell of a nice guy... I even took him for a ride in a golf cart and in the Pinzgauer that he won't forget.. Driving around in 4" of snow after midnight in pouring sleet and freezing rain..

All in all we jumped the golf cart off an embankment and then ran the Pinzgauer into a tree at WOT sliding off the side of the mountain sideways... Tell them Dave.... LOL
DNHunt
Ready to go.

Click to view attachment

Jake filmed some of it so if it doesn't end up on the cutting room floor my engine will be in the movies

Click to view attachment

DNHunt
All done and time to take it off the dyno.

Click to view attachment

By the way, the Pinzgauer ride was at about 12 midnight and the golf cart ride was at about 2 AM. Damn lot of fun, we were both howling. He was drifting a golf cart and making his own road with the Pinz. Then we watched "The Fastest Indian" untill about 4 AM. Jake is kind of like Burt Munro portrayed in the movie. He sticks to it.

Anyway, I'm beat now and need some sleep. I have a day to pack up and crate.

Thanks Jake
grantsfo
Great work guys. Curious if you have done chassis dynos on any 2270 motors yet? Just curious how things change in the car.
DNHunt
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 17 2008, 06:44 PM) *

Great work guys. Curious if you have done chassis dynos on any 2270 motors yet? Just curious how things change in the car.

It's gonna change. I didn't have the alternator hooked up of course and then the running gear. When I had a chassis dyno done on an old 2056 the guy said it would eat 15 hp. I thought that was conservative but' who knows.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 17 2008, 07:44 PM) *

Yes.. Many times..
In a 914 I have had 180 FWHP engines drop to 148 RWHP.

The 2270 I did for Hot VWs made 170 FWHP and when I put it into my test car for the cross country trip it made 148 RWHP with the exact same tuning.

Chassis dyno numbers are so variable, tire pressure, gear oil, tranny temp, brake adjustment/ dragging calipers and etc create variables that aren't "The engine".. Thats why we don't have a chassis dyno.

The Spyder we did for the Blow it up show made 244 FWHP and 211 RWHP....

The 901 tranny is the most power sucking box I have experienced yet, the Type 1 tranny loses 1/2 as much power at the rear wheels as the 901..

Jake Raby
The alternator is good for 6HP, we have seen as little as 3 HP back to back. I have never seen more than 6 from a stoc alternator.
r_towle
Jake,
In the first post you said the motor had a "ull" fan.
What is that?

And, just confirm this...190 + HP with stock tin and stock fan?
What are the CHT's from that setup?
Just want to know what YOU think the high limit is of the CHT before you fix something.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 17 2008, 07:09 PM) *

What is that?

that is a "typo" my friend ...

it's supposed to read "full fan" as in "no blades removed" ...
bye1.gif Andy
DNHunt
I think I'll go to sleep and count horses. I should be asleep before I get to 199.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 17 2008, 08:09 PM) *

Jake,
What is that?

And, just confirm this...190 + HP with stock tin and stock fan?
What are the CHT's from that setup?
Just want to know what YOU think the high limit is of the CHT before you fix something.

Rich

Yes, 194 to be exact... Stock fan in place, all stock tin and COOLER than stock temps.

I don't worry about head temps till they get to 370 sustained or 400 peak.. This engine never hit 350, not even once.

A thoroughbred combo that is efficient doesn't generate heat.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2008, 06:51 PM) *

In a 914 I have had 180 FWHP engines drop to 148 RWHP...

What is "FWHP" and what is "RWHP"? Or specifically, what do the first two letters represent?
gregrobbins
Fly wheel horse power--measured on an engine dyno

Rear wheel horse power--measured on a chassis dyno with the motor in the car and taking readings off the rear tires.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Ah, thanks. I'm used to BHP (brake hp, engine dyno) and WHP (wheel hp, chassis).
Krieger
Fly wheel horse power, rear wheel horse power. GOOD JOB JAKE/DAVE
rick 918-S
My hats off to you guys. Nice work.
Zimms
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2008, 09:51 PM) *

The 901 tranny is the most power sucking box I have experienced yet, the Type 1 tranny loses 1/2 as much power at the rear wheels as the 901..

Jake

Can a 915 be used adn have you had any results with it?

Thanks,

Mark
Joe Ricard
How do you put a bug box in a 914? It would be better all around for Autocross. Only need 3 gears mostly but occasionaly 4.
lighter and LSD's are cheaper.

HMMMMMM.
ottox914
About the bug box... had some of the same thoughts, but never really researched it out...

Jake/Dave- I see ITB's on the pics of the test engine. How big are they? I'm curious as to what size you used to compair to the ones I bought from you a couple yrs back.

Jake- I see the bracket for the SDS crank sensor is mounted on the alternator side, and you used an old A/C pulley for the mags. I used the same pulley. There are 2 that styles of puley that were used, one had angled sides, the other was flat. I see a run coming on the flat style pulley. I had considered the mounting bracket system you used but discounted it as I wanted the sensor and wireing as far away from the alternator as possible to avoid any electrical interferance issues. Looks like that mounting position is working fine w/no electrical problems for you. Thats great, as it makes for an easier install on the next engine. My SDS thread below has pics of how we did the install on my project.

Dave- I'd pay close attention to your actual routing of those sensor cables as they go back to the ECU when you fully dress the motor and get it back in your car.
Jake Raby
Jake

Can a 915 be used adn have you had any results with it?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, and Yes... I even have a special flywheel that uses the 915 clutch pack and bolts right to a TIV engine. I am using a 915 in my 60' beetle with this same arrangement coupled to my 280 HP 2.8L N/A pump gas engine.

Jake/Dave- I see ITB's on the pics of the test engine. How big are they? I'm curious as to what size you used to compair to the ones I bought from you a couple yrs back.

These are 45s. Most of the time a 40mm T/B works better with this combo, but Dave's engine is "different".

Jake- I see the bracket for the SDS crank sensor is mounted on the alternator side, and you used an old A/C pulley for the mags. I used the same pulley. There are 2 that styles of puley that were used, one had angled sides, the other was flat.

Correct.. Most of the angled pulleys came on Bus engines.

I see a run coming on the flat style pulley.

I have dozens of them. Making a laser cut replica of it with the holes for the magnets built right in is what I'll do as well as having the bracket laser cut as well. This will allow for absolute bolt on capability for anyone.

I had considered the mounting bracket system you used but discounted it as I wanted the sensor and wireing as far away from the alternator as possible to avoid any electrical interferance issues.

The wires are shielded and the alternator doesn't have high voltage interference.. I knew we'd be OK because an alternator doesn't even generate enough static to make my CHT sensors and thermocouples do wacky things...

Looks like that mounting position is working fine w/no electrical problems for you.

None at all... Dave wondered how well it would work, but I told him it would be fine.

Thats great, as it makes for an easier install on the next engine. My SDS thread below has pics of how we did the install on my project.

We have never done it the same way twice with stock cooling.. Now we'll never do it another way.

Root_Werks
This is a really good thread and example of what Jake is capable of doing to a Type4 engine. My next project is just starting but is sure looking like it might end up with one of Jakes engines. driving.gif
rhodyguy
dave will pace like a tiger in a cage waiting for the engine to arrive at the fedex center in fife. dave, let me know if you want me to pull 'big red' out of it's winter sleep to haul it home.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.