-clean the surface
-install butyl
-install window

are there temperature considerations
should i use a heat gun on the butyl before installing the glass
how long does it need to set before driving the car
other confused24.gif
gregrobbins
I have a good friend who owns an auto glass company. Bob refuses to use butyl saying there are better things available these days. You might want to talk with a auto glass expert and see what they recommend.
Rand
No heat necessary. Just press the glass firmly into the butyl. Drive it as soon as it's done. Piece o' cake. It'll be good for another 30 years.
Twise
High Modulas Urethane is the way - There is a black surfacer that can be applied first - to the glass. This will give you that late model clean black edge around the glass. Pay a guy to do it - 40 bucks maybe, but he will know what he is doing.
dgw
The plan was to pay someone to do it and use the better stuff. When i got there they said they would get to it in a couple hours. ar15.gif So for $10 I bought a roll of butyl instead of paying $98 and wasting 3+ hours of my time.
Gint
Just moved this thread to the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum

Windshield install, Traditional style, with trim clips
Twise
$98 is insanity, and most windshield guys should come to you. Call a well respected Bodyshop in your area and ask who they use. I cannot see paying over $60 bucks for the guy to come to you. Yea, $98 is ridiculous...
dgw
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 18 2008, 05:41 PM) *

Thats a great thread Gint. It has some great info for a butyl install.
After reading it I'm glad I'm doing the back window and not the windshield.
Gint
QUOTE(dgw @ Jan 18 2008, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 18 2008, 05:41 PM) *

Thats a great thread Gint. It has some great info for a butyl install.
After reading it I'm glad I'm doing the back window and not the windshield.

I didn't see rear window the first time.

Check out the Technical Articles sections of the site. Eric has an excellent write-up on Rear Window Fix/Install.
dgw
Search is my friend, or in this case, you are my search, thank you, that article is great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.