Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lowering front end suspension Range of adjustment?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sunsetcoast914
Greetings 914 world... :-) I'm putting 110 165 rear springs on which are apx 3/4 shorter than stock. I'll want to lower the front end by 'at least' as much. Could someone tell me how much range is typically available just by turning the adjustment bolt on the torsion bar? Would I need to re index the bar to drop an inch, or is adjustment probably adequate?
Thanks!
SirAndy
QUOTE(sunsetcoast914 @ Jan 20 2008, 09:30 AM) *

Greetings 914 world... :-) I'm putting 110 165 rear springs on which are apx 3/4 shorter than stock. I'll want to lower the front end by 'at least' as much. Could someone tell me how much range is typically available just by turning the adjustment bolt on the torsion bar? Would I need to re index the bar to drop an inch, or is adjustment probably adequate?
Thanks!

depends on where they are right now. if you still have the full adjustment left, 1" is no problem.
if they already bottom out, you'll have to re-index ...

bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
sunsetcoast914

depends on where they are right now. if you still have the full adjustment left, 1" is no problem.
if they already bottom out, you'll have to re-index ...

bye1.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png

Thanks Andy! beerchug.gif Curious if it's linear..uhhh such that the travel of the adjuster = amount of height change... 1 in travel of threads = 1 inch lower? Or is it 'leveraged' somehow so 1/2 inch = 1 inch ht. change etc? Guess Ill find out... I havent checked the current position yet.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sunsetcoast914 @ Jan 20 2008, 10:29 AM) *

Thanks Andy! beerchug.gif Curious if it's linear..uhhh such that the travel of the adjuster = amount of height change... 1 in travel of threads = 1 inch lower? Or is it 'leveraged' somehow so 1/2 inch = 1 inch ht. change etc? Guess Ill find out... I havent checked the current position yet.

not linear. i don't know the exact ratio, but the car raises/lowers more than what the adjuster cap travels ...
bye1.gif Andy
McMark
You can raise it up until the suspension binds.
You can lower it down until the suspension binds.

And you can set it anywhere in between. And with the removable cap, you don't even have to touch the torsion bar. biggrin.gif

You'll have to try something and then adjust, then try again. It takes a little while, and don't forget to roll the car forward and backward after each change.
sunsetcoast914
Thanks for the info and advice guys!!!
r_towle
when the car is sitting on the ground, go no lower than horizontal with the lower part of the front a-arm.

You will notice a small vertical flange on the lower part of the "frame" that the front a-arm can and will hit if you go to low.

I have taken a hammer and bent that flange over flat...

I have noticed that I can raise/lower the front end just about 1 inch total.
Then you have to re-index the cap.
I also do not like the adjuster bolt sticking out to far, it just looks like a problem waiting to be hit some day...so I tend to re-index and adjust till the bolt head is just peaking out enough to get a wrench on it.

I also found that a simple and almost close way to measure is with a micrometer against the bottom of the bolt and the bottom of the cross member where the bolt goes through...its dame close to the same on both sides...still need to tweek it for corner balance, but its darn close at that point.

I am now driving in the winter with snows and I had to raise it up about 1.5 inches from where I had it...it looks like I am ready for a rally now.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.